Why does Fender hollow out the American Original 50's strat in ash?

stratocarlster

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 6, 2012
Telephone Road
I could not find ANY mention about chambered, weight relief or anything similar in the Fender site. In the new versions, they do not mention that at all... It is like they no not want to tell about it.
l

The current model AO50S ash strats aren't chambered ... so there's nothing to tell. The model with a chambered ash body was a limited edition white blonde Strat with gold hardware that is now out of production.

Meghans Dad

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2021
So. Cal.
I'm not so sure it was officially called a Mary Kaye, although many sites do call the colour 'Mary Kaye White Blonde'. Then again, many don't. I assume Fender must have put out a media release or flyer or similar when it was released, but I can't find anything.
2005 Fender Frontline catalog, pages 26 and 27.

Attachments

• Fender 2005 Frontline page 26.pdf
    357.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Fender 2005 Frontline page 27.pdf
    372.3 KB · Views: 6

Meghans Dad

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2021
So. Cal.
I saw one of the 2005's a few years later in a "large" music store in Buena Park and almost bought it for my daughter. She didn't like it because it looked to "girlie", so I got her an American series in Chrome Blue.

Ronkirn

Most Honored Senior Member
May 26, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Fender using sassafras on some of the 54s back then

I'm not familiar with that one.. at least as a finished and released model.. I do know they produced the Strat, Mustang and others in Mahogany from around '60 - '62.. but it was discontinued because they had to bump the price up bout 100 bux, and in the 60's that was quite substantial, they weren't selling.

r

Guy Named Sue

Censored
Feb 11, 2015
Terra Incognita
I'm not familiar with that one.. at least as a finished and released model.. I do know they produced the Strat, Mustang and others in Mahogany from around '60 - '62.. but it was discontinued because they had to bump the price up bout 100 bux, and in the 60's that was quite substantial, they weren't selling.

r
Yeah and they used African mahogany on many of the student models in the 60s. I dont doubt that Fender experimented with different wood types back then.

But for Fender to just two years ago come out with Sassafras seemed a little odd at the time. I can't know for certain, but it seems like a ploy or marketing to switch to different wood.

tubedude

Strat-O-Master
Mar 18, 2015
Golfcity, Ga
They should use Alder, or another lighter wood, instead of making a sandwich out of wood and trickfucking everyone into buying it. If I wanted a wood sandwich I'd have gotten a Reverend.

CAR63

Strat-Talker
Sep 11, 2012
central calif.
I get it that, in manufacturing, about everything promoted has to include a "weasel clause" saying something to the effect, "Prices and specifications subject to change without notice." But.. just damn, in a market where the traditional rules King.. wouldn't ya think an honest manufacturer would take a moment to inform the market when a change has been made?

I mean, they go through all the retooling to get things up to speed in the manufacturing plant, don't ya think they could take a few minutes to tell marketing to change the web site too?
The right hand can't work with the left ? Seems , unfortunately , like corporate thinking missed the boat here . It happens more often than we know these days .

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA

My guess is that’s why they’re doing it.

I personally wouldn’t like it, but can understand why others might appreciate a lighter Strat. Seems wrong to imply vintage specs while not adhering to them though.

The greater point is that it’s just plain weird!

Many times its just a half a pound or less of difference I imagine. I dont imagine them routing out a whole pound.

I dont know why folks obsess about weight. Just play the damn thing. If everyone had this mindset there would be no guitars.

If one more pound makes a guitar too heavy, work on your pushups or upper body strength.....its only one more pound or whatever lol

hutt8

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 3, 2013
Vancouver
I can see a seam where the back meets the body in the control cavity and in the video the grain of the body does not line up with the grain on the back, so yeah the guitar was routed then capped, probably to lose weight. Fender probably justifies this by saying the weight is then closer to the original but 50's strats were never built this way and its not an authentic reproduction.

ImGoodThanks

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 17, 2020
Australia
I have the Fender American Original '50 Stratocaster Vintage Blonde, I also have the Fender American Pro Sienna Sunburst which is one of the last made with Ash.
The '50s does feel a bit lighter than the AM pro, I think, I've not weighed either of them.

While I think Fender should mention that the '50s is chambered in the specs, there is no way I would give this guitar up. I love it.