Join Strat-Talk Today

Why does the 2001 Squier Affinity Stratocaster sound so good?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by spyglass, Dec 10, 2019.

1. spyglass

spyglass Strat-O-Master

I have a china 2001 Squier Affinity Stratocaster 20th anniversary guitar a friend gave me over a year ago and just decided to clean it up and put new strings on it yesterday.When I plugged it in I couldn't believe the tone I got from it,I'm confused here as to why I am getting a great clean spanky bell like strat tone that compares to a vintage sound.I thought ceramic pickups were more darker midrange and higher output than alnicos.Please explain.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

Wednesday guitar

3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Squier ceramics are darker and higher output than most vintage Strat pickups. But Squier pairs those with 500k pots, which brightens things considerably.

Tone in a guitar comes from the combination of all the factors. Fingers, pick, strings, hardware, pickups, pots, tone caps, amp. They all have an effect, so no surprise if one of them makes a very small difference.

4. spyglass

spyglass Strat-O-Master

Why do they use 500K on single coils?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  5. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

To retain as much high end as possible. The darker the pickup, the higher the value of the pot to balance it out. But If you wired a strat single coil directly to a jack, the result would be an extremely bright nails on chalk board sound. (I've tried it, it was terrible)

But due to the design of a Jazzmaster pickup, it's naturally super dark, so they use 1 meg (1 million ohm) pots.

6. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Good guitars are good guitars.

7. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a great sounding strat. The pickups are Wilkinson vintage 60 someting or other, they sound great and cost $34. Not $34 each but for a set of three. Go figure...

8. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Ceramic and plywood do not a poor guitar make on their own. Don't believe the myths about wood and magnets nor that always price=quality.

I have a 2011 MIC Squier Bullet that the neck pickup has not been beat with fancy boutique pickups. It's amazed some pro players.

The magic is in the system of the pickup and the pots and caps. Blueprint what you have, measure kohms of the pickup, height of the pickup in the pickguard, kohms measured of the pots, uF measured capacitors. If you put in a different kohm volume pot, different caps, and adjust the pickup height you can ruin the great tone you are getting.

9. spyglass

spyglass Strat-O-Master

Why not do this to the mexicans strats then.I am assuming they use the same ceramic pups,They are 250k pots.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Perhaps it likes you.

Deathray, fezz parka and spyglass like this.
  11. bajoranspace

bajoranspace New Member!

I played my buddy's 2017 Squier Standard Telecaster today and was shocked at what a good guitar it is. Great neck, resonant when not amplified despite a very thick poly coat, and good quality tele tones in all positions. Couldn't get it out of tune either. That thing is a lot of guitar for not a lot of money, I will definitely be picking these up to test them out from now on until I find a comperable one.

12. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

The way I see it is that cheap parts can make a great guitar, but expensive parts are much more likely to. I have a Legend Strat copy with a basswood body, the original ceramic pickups and small 500k pots, and the best word I can think of to describe it is 'alive'. I liked it so much, I bought another one... which turned out to not be as good.

Also, a good player with a good amp can make anything sound good.

Viking likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Because you have low brand expectations. They want you to believe its only entry level, so you plan to trade up.

14. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

I once tested my friend's Squier Affinity Tele thru my rig (Vox AC30 + Treble Booster) and it sounded HUGE! We were on stage for the soundcheck and he turned to me and said: "Wow is that my 150$ guitar???".

Actually I'm yet to obtain a poor sound out of the AC30+TB combo no matter the guitar I put into it. I'm more and more convinced that a good amp is very very important in the overall sound, even more than the guitar itself actually.

The best Tele I've ever played was a CV 50's (Made In China). I was trying Tele's in the shop and it smoked USA's, MIM's, etc. The sound/playability were amazing. Stupidly I didn't bought the guitar and regret it to date.

15. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

Couldnt agree more...l have a 64 gibson invader ga 30 rvt combo with spring reverb and vibrato footswitch and 20190117_183255.jpg two vintage jensons, Anything l run though it sounds great with some tweeking of the knobs. Also l own a squier bullet made in japan that has ceramic pups and though my rig l bet l could convince most they were high end pickups...they sound great....Good amp =good tone

gilmourstrat likes this.
  16. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-O-Master

I can't (I'm in love with my '15 maple cap Affinity too) beyond what has already been said by fezz parka, "good guitars are good guitars". I can however be happy for you.... which I am.

17. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-Talker

I’m super happy with my Affinity - nothing to write home about parts wise, but the finished product sounds great and is fun to play.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.