Why don’t we like active electronics in a guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mark1406, Oct 8, 2021.

1. mark1406

mark1406 Strat-Talk Member

I couldn’t disagree more, I was gauging people’s opinions and responding to their replies with counter points of view. Surely if someone posts a reply I’m not obligated to agree with it.

I would disagree with your comments about more treble. Bridge pickups don’t require more treble generally, but that depends on your pickup and amp. A neck humbucker often needs more treble as most can sound muddy. I have encountered pickups that aren’t muddy sounding, but they tend to roll the bass response off, so one is left with only one alternative. Hardly satisfactory.

2. mark1406

The current draw of the circuit would be quite low. Perhaps you are leaving it plugged in?

I have had EMG’s in a guitar decades ago and I didn’t have any issues with batteries. Though I did have to unplug the guitar so I didn’t drain the batteries.

Regards

Mark

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I love those giant factory holes when I need to do repairs.

A glue repair with the strings under tension, the best

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  4. vid1900

A 9v alkaline battery is what, 500 mah?

Even the smallest cell phone battery nowadays is 4000 mah.

Hell, those little rechargeable packs that stick to the back of your phone are 10,000 mah, and have a little fuel gauge so you know how much juice you have without powering on.

So if you normally get 6 months out of a good 9v , you might get years from a USB phone pack, lol

The future is upon us.

615F8XBbAeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mark1406 likes this.
  5. mark1406

Good reply, you listened to points and acknowledged them as well as discussing Luddite philosophy.

Regards

Mark

dirocyn likes this.
  6. mark1406

Many are new buyers and many acoustic guitars come with a built in pickup and preamp, so they accept that’s how it is, though the inconvenience of having to stand in from of a microphone is a powerful motivator. Bassists are probably open to newer stuff than are guitarists. I dare say if Hendrix had the option of a Strat with no hum he would have jumped at it. A modelling amp would have been a dream come true for him.

Regards

Mark

7. mark1406

I would like an EOB Strat for the sustainer too. The sustainer seems to be more practical as it feeds back at any volume and you aren’t limited to distorted tones.

So yes, I guess that qualifies as active electronics. I did hear they don’t have great battery life, what are your findings?

Regards

Mark

circles likes this.
  8. bmikultyak

bmikultyak Strat-Talk Member

I had a Peavey EXP with the piezo under the saddle. It had good electric sound (had SD Hot Rodded PU set) and decent acoustic (not quite, lacked "body" resonance) sound so I enjoyed mixing both for different tones. The biggest problem was forgetting to unplug it and coming into church the next week with a dead battery. I finally sold it and prefer my passive electronics through a good amp (tubes) from the older days.

9. Vic42670

Vic42670 Strat-Talk Member

Or always worried the battery is about to die or not performing at peak capacity or something … if it’s not apparent , I have no clue about active pups really

10. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

I have 3 guitars that have active electronics. 2 of these are Fender Stratocaster Elite’s from 1983 and 1 Mexican Fender Stratocaster powered by Roland. They both have sounds that I like a lot.

Although the batteries are a small nuisance, if you like the guitar and want to use it.....get over it .....and plan. This involves thinking, so as to manage the batteries. It’s not hard. Make sure you have a spare, check the power level before a gig and take the battery/ batteries out before putting the guitar into storage for a period of time.

What is hard about that.

mark1406 likes this.
  11. mark1406

I tend to like the idea of a power supply feeding the guitar. It’s dead easy, Dumble has a FET boost on his amps which is feed from the amps power supply. A stereo jack is all that’s required on the amp and guitar.

The comments about the active pickups sound compressed are interesting as a preamp can have an output that is nearly the same as the power supply voltage, this in effect means you could have a bigger signal out of the guitar than your effects pedal of choice. The down side of this huge signal is the 12AX7 in the input of your valve amp would be distorting due to forward conduction.

As far as batteries being unreliable, breaking strings is fairly common and I have broken a string at a gig, but somehow this is acceptable.

Regards

Mark

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  12. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

Yup.

But

if the battery runs out, the digital electronics fail, etc., you can still play on the basic guitar itself as a no battery passive electronics instrument.

In the case of my Variax Standard, that's an SSS Yamaha Pacifica, which sounds like any decent Strat on its own.

13. mark1406

I have never heard of this, but Yamaha make a lot of good stuff.

Regards

Mark

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

But that's apples and oranges. You cannot choose to not use strings on a stringed instrument, but you can choose to not use active electronics.

Stonetone and Scott Baxendale like this.
  15. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I find they last okay. Certainly through a typical 4 hour jam/practice session, usually a couple of weeks - unless I forget and leave it on. I have two rechargeables and cycle them through, so I am never without.

16. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

I've got enough musical devices that use batteries already. Plus, batteries can leak, rare unless the battery is really old, but still possible, especially if subjected to too much heat, which wouldn't be good for the guitar either, of course.

17. vid1900

That's for sure.

Fender has built active basses for 4 decades, and players love them.

If the battery dies, you flip the little switch and go into passive mode.

14.jpg

drp146, davidKOS and Scott Baxendale like this.
  18. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Microphones have had phantom power for decades. It is the KISS solution and the KISS solution is always the best one. Keep It Simple Stupid.

19. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker Silver Member

I don't mind them. My schecter has fluence moderns and both bass's are active.

20. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

I've got enough musical devices that use batteries already. Plus, batteries can leak, rare unless really old, but still possible.
    I say if it works for you. that's what you should do. What works for me works without onboard active electronics. It's all a matter of personal taste. Go for the sound you like.