Why don’t we like active electronics in a guitar?

Chipss36

Strat-O-Master
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
Not for me.

and I threw out my wireless keyboard and mouse as well.

I need less things to run a battery, not more.

and I am happy with my old crusty Luddite pickups.

SlimTurnpike

New Member!
Feb 1, 2021
Bangkok
I have several Alembic guitars and guitars with Alembic PUs and electronics. The battery is no big deal. I always check and replace, if necessary, prior to a gig. I also always have extra batteries and a small tool set with me. I have built a couple of guitars with Fishman Fluence PUs and their clever rechargeable battery built into the tremolo cover. Great sounding PUs, but if you forget to recharge the battery you have a problem you don’t encounter with a 9v battery.

And the low impedance Alembic PUs sound great, especially for clean playing.

Bill, tgo

The Fishman Fluence pickups Greg Koch uses in his signature guitars supposedly go 300 hours between charges. They sound great.

rlongnt

Strat-O-Master
Apr 26, 2018
Edmond, OK
I love love love my Lincoln Brewster Strat. Nitro finished, not true to any time period freak combo of old and new with a 9 volt battery and all. Although I recognize he’s an amazing artist it’s not even my style but oh my gosh that guitar picked me; not the other way around. We break our normal rules for things we love.

I love my standard config ones too.

lazloryder

Strat-Talker
Dec 6, 2011
Los Angeles CA
I have 3 guitars that have active electronics. 2 of these are Fender Stratocaster Elite’s from 1983 and 1 Mexican Fender Stratocaster powered by Roland. They both have sounds that I like a lot.

Although the batteries are a small nuisance, if you like the guitar and want to use it.....get over it .....and plan. This involves thinking, so as to manage the batteries. It’s not hard. Make sure you have a spare, check the power level before a gig and take the battery/ batteries out before putting the guitar into storage for a period of time.

What is hard about that.

Bro, I’m a guitar player, not a spare batter checker storer guy!

mark1406

Strat-Talker
Oct 20, 2009
Sydney
All DC powered. The one battery operated item in my rig is the wireless transmitter. But the Line 6 G10 is so convenient to keep charged. The old replaceable battery wireless systems I would never use.

Cool, I know people who have batteries in their effects too in case the power supply ceases to work.

To all and sundry. Below is a video on how the Lawrence W filter works. I get the feeling it’s best suited to high output pickups.

Regards

Mark

mark1406

Strat-Talker
Oct 20, 2009
Sydney
Hi , @mark1406

I am a bit puzzled. I would think an individual player could just choose if they want active pickups or active tone knob with battery etc.?

Hi SRF

I was wondering what the average player thought?

In this age of Kempers and AXEFX etc, have guitarists changed their view on what an electric guitar is.

On one hand I get plugging into a non master volume head and playing music, though effects are popular so getting creative with all things might have gathered pace.

Regards

Mark

G-Point

Strat-Talk Member
What if it was better for having a preamp.

EMG pickups have had active tone controls available for ages. You can have more output and no treble loss. Many of the treble bleed circuits on volume pots aren’t that flash.

There could even be active hum cancelling for single coil pickups, Chris Kinman did this prior to coming up with his pickup range.

Regards

Mark

And Chris Kinman designed and made the best pickups without active electronics. Just passive, so perfectly made and totally hum-free.

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
I build my own preamp with treble and bass boost and cut back in the early 80’s. I used it for years. It ran on 18 volts and was a heck of a contraption. It was called a Craig Anderson Clarifier and was in a GP magazine with Frank Zappa on the cover. I drilled and etched the board and every thing.

I would put EMG’s in my other guitars so they could almost keep up with my Strat with my home made preamp in it. My Focus 6000 Kramer still has EMG’s in it from the 80’s.

You can see the wire running to the guitar strap where the batteries are in the photo from under the pick guard ….. this is 84 or 1985…

View attachment 511902
Please tell my you still have that exact set of clothes and wear them regularly.

mark1406

Strat-Talker
Oct 20, 2009
Sydney
And Chris Kinman designed and made the best pickups without active electronics. Just passive, so perfectly made and totally hum-free.
You’re preaching to the choir about Kinman pickups, I had a set of Mark 1 pickups in my Strat. I A/Bed them against normal single coils and they were as good if not better.

However, the point is are we ready to rethink what the electric guitar is. Active pickups, active tone controls, sustainor pickup etc, etc, etc.

Regards

Mark

Latest posts