Why don’t we like active electronics in a guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mark1406, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

I’m with you and I’m a player too, but I haven’t used my 1983 Elites for years, now stored without batteries- no problem.

So, on a gig do I take my Burns 12 string for certain tunes, and which of my Les Pauls or my Nashville Tele or both for others? Hmmm. I’ll have to think about that.

I know, let’s take the Fender powered by Roland Strat. So with a change of batteries at a small cost I get all these sounds plus acoustic even various tunings.......and guitars that could go walkies at the side of the stage are safely at home.

Overall, batteries work out cheaper than the cost of insurance in this situation.

All that said I still do things the old fashioned way sometimes! LOL

2. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

I forgot to mention, I do keep a cheap but perfectly playable guitar to hand in case I break a string, but that’s not very often.

3. mark1406

mark1406 Strat-Talk Member

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Consider this... While I do support Bill Lawrence's suggesting that batteries belong in "flashlights"... It would take a fool to suggest that an active guitar cannot produce stunning music... as can passive guitars...

so WTF difference does it matter if you or your mate, or anyone on the planet decides to play a guitar different than the one you play? Humm? I mean really?? What?? this thread has been arguing this back and forth for 13 pages?? Has anything definitive been decided?

Just play YOUR guitar and play it well and no one is gonna give a rat's azz if you have batteries in it or not.. If you cannot play it well.. then no one cares either.. they just want YOU to stop making noise...

r

Nate D, Boyd L, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  5. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker Silver Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D How did you know ? :whistling:

6. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker Silver Member

So tell me please, will a 9 volt battery in my 60 year old guitar make this 68 yr old player any better ? Might work if I shut off my hearing aids. I am a strange one for sure as I believe in passive single pups, P-90's, Tube Amps hand wired, NO humbuckers, NO Pedals although I did have a Wah and a Fuzz back in the 70s, I have a fender digital amp and use my laptop. I even play some of my music through my phone directly into my hearing aids, so I am making progress. (sound quality sucks) MP3 into a 1/8" speaker/ that's not a 1- 8" speaker but an actual 1/8th spk.

7. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I'm primarily a bass player and active circuits are ubiquitous in basses nowadays, so I'm occasionally surprised that they don't show up in guitars more. Having said that, active EMG-equipped guitars seem to be pretty common in certain circles. But I'd guess a big reason is that the sound of a particular pickup is more important to guitarists. An active pickup won't sound quite like a PAF, for instance, and a lot of people want that PAF sound. (Insert your favorite Strat pickup if you prefer.)

davidKOS likes this.
  8. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

Yup - since the 70's bass players have been more open to new instrument designs and new electronics than guitarists, and I think you nailed the reason...the sound of certain pickup and amp combinations of early technology is desired among guitar players.

Nate D, Vermoulian and mark1406 like this.
  9. mark1406

The thread is about various players attitudes to changes to electric guitars. The number of replies indicates the general consensus towards change, your reply adds nothing to this thread at all and I’m curious why you are so worked up about it. If you don’t like it don’t reply.

10. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Wow, 13 pages!

Easily summed up:

If you like stuff with batteries then use them.

If you don’t then don’t use them.

Now how hard is that?

Nate D, totost and davidKOS like this.
  11. Ronkirn

Well yes, but it does add more than yours.. :p

Nate D likes this.
  12. mark1406

That’s not true, people have expressed their satisfaction with the guitar preamp in the EC Strat and from what they say I would like it.

People have discussed their experiences with guitars with inboard preamps and what didn’t work for them. There was the guy who bought our attention to a battery pack which replaces the trem cover on a Strat which is a good idea.

The Sustainer neck pickup was discussed as well. Bill Lawrence’s Q filter was discussed showing pro’s and cons.

That’s all off the top of my head. I still don’t know your objection to this thread, you don’t have to read it or respond if you find it objectionable.

13. mark1406

Very true, that does seem to be most people’s concern. There were a lot of good suggestions and observations in the thread.

14. Ronkirn

Really?? Based on who's truth?

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Not quite the same. Pedals can be run off a power supply, and are not essential to the operation of the guitar, because the can easily be bypassed.

If you are running active pickups, not an active boost/preamp with passive pickups, but active pickups such as EMG, Fishman, etc, they are integral to the guitar and cannot be bypassed.

Nate D likes this.
  16. lazloryder

lazloryder Strat-Talker

I don’t think one is better than the other. The question was why we don’t like active electronics in our guitars. I gave reasons why I don’t like em. Not saying they’re bad. Just answering the question.

17. mark1406

This is exactly the point. I didn’t start the thread to argue, that’s rather pointless and futile. There are pros and cons.

Regards

Mark

18. Jim Murdoch

Jim Murdoch Strat-Talk Member

My MusicMan Stingray Bass is battery dependant,... Every single time I use it, I have to check the battery condition. This is especially critical when recording.
    When I pickup the Strat or Les Paul,... I just "Plug & Go"... whether recording or playing... Battery free is definitely my preference.

19. mark1406

The Stingray bass is quite an impressive bass. The preamp does work well with the pickups.

The thing I dislike about a Tele or Strat is if you have the typical Strat tone and want to thicken it up you have to roll off the tone control which gives you less output. The neck pickup of a Les Paul can sound quite muddy in certain circumstances, removing some bass would be helpful.

I agree plug and play is hard to beat.

Regards

Mark

20. pkailas

pkailas Strat-Talk Member

First a little story. My first Christmas with my wife and we were shopping for a tree. I wanted a "real" tree, and she wanted an "artificial tree." We saw a couple of different types. One "pre-lit" and one without lights. She didn't want a real tree, the mess. I wanted the pre-lit, and she called that "too fake." Now that caused me to bust out laughing... and an artificial tree is already too fake.

So, my opinion: Some people are purists. Original specs only! Some like with some modern features. Others like them pre-lit.