Why go to the doctor when I can go here (nutrition advice sought)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Higgins1980

Higgins1980 Senior Stratmaster

I had to learn what caused me to over eat. And for me i eat when I get bored. Like absentmindedly eat. I have many time found myself in the couch eating something with no memory of going into the kitchen and getting it. So I have to work hard to keep myself busy especially in the weekends when I’m home.

Antstrat likes this.
  2. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Son ballooned to a hefty sort of fellow. Too hefty.
    He stopped drinking beer.
    Cut sugar in half.
    And eliminated fast food altogether.
    Nothing else.
    Dropped 60 pounds in 8 months.

He still indulges in baked potato chips as a snack source. And diet cola. He'll enjoy a cocktail every so often, but for the most part beer was his drink of choice...IPA' I think. And fast food his 'go to' dinner routine.

Sh¡t food'll do that to ya.

Sarnodude and Antstrat like this.
  3. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

Really weight loss and body transformation comes down to two things. 1) Calories(and in some cases nutrients) consumed vs Calories Used. 2) Metabolic Signaling. Watching calories can be a big part of it in many cases, but if your metabolic signaling is wrong changing your body is almost impossible. I would strongly suggest looking into Intermittent Fasting, not only in the short term but as a possible lifestyle choice long term. Depending on your personal goals IF alone may get you where you want to go and better yet will keep you there. I will say eating healthy is great, but it really does come down to those two things. Last year I took off 20 pounds in 9 weeks, and I ate cheeseburgers and taco bell frequently during the process. Though I did count calories, IF was really the game-changer for me in particular.

Antstrat, vid1900 and Higgins1980 like this.
  4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I have a big build, and 1200 cal a day will drop 5 pounds in a week, no problem.

No soda ever, that's just chemicals that no one needs, lol

Jesse414 and Stratafied like this.
  5. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Remember, you actually have to weigh the food - you can't just eyeball it.

Some people can shead a pound a day with a 1000 cal a day diet, depends on your build

6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Size makes a huge difference in the amount of calories you can take in for sure. 1200 might be perfect for you. My wife who is 5'7" and I dare not say her weight here for fear of sleeping on the couch :eek: is cutting at about 1400 calories. Neither one of us are in bad shape at all; just not where we want to be. So tonight's meal will be scrambled eggs and some breakfast potatoes with onions and green peppers. High protien with a balance of natural complex carbs. I would like to be better than potatoes but I just can't bring myself to eat sweet potatoes.

Antstrat, Stratafied and Jovi17 like this.
  7. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Ask 100 people, get 100 different answers.

Antstrat and PeteGeordie like this.
  8. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Which I expected but here I'll get well meaning answers that I can get nuggets of great info to find what works for me.

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

^^I try to stick to this.^^ Lately, I've found that only eating between noon and 6pm helps me stick to it. Turkey may be a good meat for you to gain protein, given your preferences. I also avoid most dairy...only a bit of cheese from time to time.

I have coffee in the AM with a teaspoon of coconut oil in the first cup...seems to take the edge off, but doesn't "break the fast" before noon. Days I remember it, I'll also have a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (with mother) in a full glass of water...brush teeth right after---pretty acidic.

My kids (grown) have had good results with the Whole 30 plan. I have not had the patience to read the book:whistling:.

Antstrat likes this.
  10. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

duzie and Antstrat like this.
  11. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

Put on your earbuds or whatever you have, find a good podcast (I like Wes Cecil on youtube) and take a walk for an hour in stead of TV, or before everyone else wakes up. Walking gets you in the "fat burn zone." Diet and exercise is a tough balancing act. So I would caution against dropping calories to "lose weight," especially to lose weight quickly. The key is get the right fuels in your body and eat just enough calories so that you don't lose muscle or bone mass. Also, lift weights. Disclaimer: my avatar is not really me and I study this stuff a little bit.

Jesse414 likes this.
  12. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

You are not going to want to hear this but you chose us over the doctors because you are smart and you know we are way smarter then any dumb doctors. The simple solution is you will have to start consuming lots of air sandwiches and lots of air bbq. Oh and you need to walk 6 miles or 37 kilometers everyday except on Friday. Good luck I believe in you ! You can do it ! :)

Antstrat and heltershelton like this.
  13. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

You're on the right track with diet and exercise. They really do work together. The problem most people have is with diet.
    It's great. What you doing for lunch and dinner or even the times in between? How much water are you drinking?

Antstrat likes this.
  14. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

its a very simple equation.
    it doesnt matter what you eat either.
    taking in more calories than you burn = weight gain.
    taking in less calories than you burn = weight loss.
    of course, eating nutritious foods instead of junk will make you feel, look, and perform better.
    the thing ive been doing for quite some time is buying and eating only what they call "superfoods". i guess they are called superfoods now because most people eat alot of crap. didnt used to be that way.
    i dont particularly care for fish either, but i eat alot of smoked herring on wheat crackers with tobasco.
    other things that you will find in my kitchen...
    black beans
    blackeye peas
    quinoa
    oatmeal
    broccoli
    red bell peppers
    eggs
    garlic and onions
    fresh spinach
    brown rice
    apples, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, grapefruit, and others.
    milk, mostly 2%
    matcha tea
    tomatoes
    and things like that.
    i love steak but beef prices have skyrocketed and im not paying those prices out of principle. i buy steaks sometimes when they are on sale though.
    but even if you eat these types of foods, you will gain weight if you take in more calories than you burn.
    the cool thing is...most of these foods have less calories per pound than junk, so you can eat more of them.

15. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

I try to get at least 3-4 glasses a day total. I'm a sipper, go into the kitchen for something and have a 1/2 glass plus or minus but I do this frequently.

gjohnson441496 and Jesse414 like this.
  16. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

I love breakfast for dinner. And I’m a sucker for potatoes.

17. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Eat what you want, just cook what you eat. Focus on seasonally grown local fruits and vegetables as much as possible. Drink water. Avoid processed foods. Avoid Pufferfish. And in Gods' name, get plenty of Soylent Green!

fgfg.jpg

64 Tele, Gonflyn, Higgins1980 and 3 others like this.
  18. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Your body is like a good amplifier.

Garbage in...garbage out.

I don't eat meat.
    I don't eat refined sugars.
    I consume no alcohol.
    I hang at around 2000 calories a day.

Vegetables, grains...some milk products.

6'1". 180lbs. Moderate exercise. Mostly walking.

Garbage in...garbage out.

19. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

My friend dropped 50lbs . He cut out sugars and carbs. Lots of vegetables, chicken and small meat portions.

gjohnson441496, Antstrat and Jesse414 like this.
  20. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Lost 13 pounds in 2-3 months. 1 instead of 2 toasts for breakfast, apple and yogurt for lunch, watch portions for supper, eat anything I want even snacks. Walks everyday. Works for me, I want a lifestyle change not a keto loose 30 pounds in 2 weeks and gain it right back.
    Whatever works for you