Why has Kenny Wayne shepherd never been invited to Crossroads

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by srvnugga, Apr 15, 2013.

1. srvnugga

srvnugga Strat-Talk Member

Some might argue that he doesn't get invited because he's an SRV clone, but Clapton invites John Mayer who is an SRV clone. This year "Philip Sayce?" won some competition for ernie ball, and he played there, but they put him in a corner and used him as a fill in.

2. rousejeremy

rousejeremy Senior Stratmaster

Philip Sayce is a monster, as for inviting Mayer, that's just to draw numbers. KWS doesn't have nearly the draw Mayer does and Clapton has been around a while, he knows the importance of ticket sales with the decline in album sales in his time.

3. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I always got the sense that Clapton actually appreciated Mayer's playing and also appreciated that there was a modern day pop star who could play.

4. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Strat-Talker

They need someone with 2 first names like SRV!

5. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Maybe they get Kenny Wayne Shephard confused with Johnny Lang, like I do.

6. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Strat-O-Master

I could've sworn he was invited this year? But he was on tour so couldn't make it?

7. jmstritt

jmstritt Strat-Talker

Ok fellas, let me answer this question with a question. Why have your bands never played at (Insert name of local venue in your town here)?

Even though this is kind of a guitar wank fest, it is still a business. It isn't like Willy Wonka, where you open the lucky set of strings and you are wisked away to play with Eric Clapton. Obviously there are promoters involved, KWS's management has to be contacted, KWS would have to be available, and then tech riders have to be signed, travel arranged for, etc, etc.

The fact is, just because he hasn't been at a Crossroads event doesn't mean that EC has a grudge against KWS, it just means it hasn't happened. Maybe the money didn't work out, maybe he was sick, maybe he was double booked, maybe he was recording an album, the reasons that KWS wouldn't be at Crossroads are the same that you or I wouldn't be at (Insert name of Local Venue). Maybe KWS thinks that one of the promoters is a jerk, who knows? It could be any number of reasons.

8. JayJ

JayJ Senior Stratmaster

This question you are posing assumes that he was never asked; more than likely it goes through his managers and handlers first and they make a decision.

He might also not be interested in the slightest; or maybe he is a creature of habit and doesn't want his routine thrown off for a show that is not on his immediate schedule.

9. jmstritt

jmstritt Strat-Talker

Also, I saw Phillip Sayce a few years ago at GIT and he is a very good player.

10. rousejeremy

rousejeremy Senior Stratmaster

I'd rather see the Experience Hendrix tour anyway, which he AND Johnny Lang play.
    I was playing in Merrillville Indiana at the Star Plaza and one of the locals told me Eric Johnson was playing there the next day with the Experience tour. I also knew that Jimi's Woodstock Strat would be there. It was only a one nighter and we were leaving right after load out but another tour bus rolled in as we were getting ready to leave. I was THAT close.

11. TheGreenHornet

TheGreenHornet BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I never saw him as an SRV clone. In my opinion he does not even come close. I never thought KWS had that extra something that separates him from the rest. I did not understand why all the rave about him. I guess that is just me. Let me end this with something positive though. Kenny Wayne Shepherd can kick my ace on playing guitar any day. :)

12. srvnugga

yes Philip Sayce is a monster, and he deserved more than what they gave him.

13. srvnugga

You're right I did some reading and KWS said he had prior commitments every time clapton organises crossroads.

14. TrevorMarshall

TrevorMarshall Strat-O-Master

KWS doesn't really do much, he plays and "writes" cheesy songs.
    He's really just a session player, wouldn't be surprised to see him jamming with others but as for his own set, there's not much he offers that others don't.

15. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT?????

The base of the problem is that this is a flawed concept. Applied differently, Gary Moore would have had trouble getting bookings at Holiday Inn.;)

16. psallo

psallo Senior Stratmaster

Yeah... no he's not...

17. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

Mayer is an SRV clone? That's ridiculous.

18. BluesGuitarist

BluesGuitarist Strat-Talker

+1.......

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

You're joking, right?
    Even Mayer admits he's an SRV clone - his "Black1" is a scuff-to-scuff copy of SRV's #1, only in black instead of 3TSB.
    Check out his version of "Route 66" - sounds like he ripped directly off of In Step or Family Style.
    Actually Mayer is more of a Clapton/Vaughan/Hendrix clone - he sort of takes turns of who he's copying depending on the solo.
    Again, John is the first to admit it, so there's nothing to get bent out of shape about - but original he is not.

20. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

Oh, right. Seems I'm wrong, along with several others.