Why I hate my American Performer Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Proliferant, Dec 26, 2020.

1. NGS Guitars

NGS Guitars Strat-Talk Member

Ok 1 take the guitar back to the dealer and contact Fender directly about these problems.

2 never buy an electric guitar without plugging it in right?

3 it’s looking like it’s either a fake or you will need to replace the gear that’s failing. Lollar, Arcane and Fralin are top notch pups.

4 Basswood in a Fender just sounds wrong it could unhinge all fix attempts so check this is genuine and demand a refund or change over, best of luck.

JJ119 and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. NiteGoat

NiteGoat Strat-Talk Member

Put the original Pickguard back on it, and SELL! SELL! SELL! It’s CV Check time again, and people will have holes burning in their pockets.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. MickeyPicky

MickeyPicky Strat-Talk Member

Uh.. y’all, he said he was trying to sell it.. how you misinterpreted him doesn’t even make sense

4. MickeyPicky

MickeyPicky Strat-Talk Member

about the case - I think it’s fair. They’d just raise the price if you got a hard case. In face I think one of the main price hikes between a performer and professional is the nicer case. If you gig it’s important but if you’re playing at home I’d much rather forgo the case and save the money

ratdoc and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

Get a setup. Get used to the tuners, I have never had locking tuners but I hate changing strings so I'm sure I'd like them. You have a humbucker in the bridge, that should be able to rock, if you any overdrive pedals or if you can crank your amp loud enough. Or trade it in for an American Standard from 2012-2018. I love mine, its an SSS and with a fuzz pedal you can get a metal sound from it easily, especially through a Marshall or something.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

Wait, stock Strats are supposed to be perfect?

Mod everything. You like the neck. Everything else can easily be improved.

BTW, TORTOISE SHELL was the correct answer for pick guard color. If you said "MINT", you get partial credit.

Someone probably dropped the guitar and bent the tuner head. Swap it out. Sweet talk your local tech. He/she probably has one or two lying around. I put locking tuners on all mine but lots of folks have the free time to wind extra string and like the vintage look

If you want to sell it, get it back to stock and get rid of it. If you want to play it, mod it.

3bolt79 and Torvald like this.
  7. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

8. bruce9432

bruce9432 Strat-Talk Member

you sound like that dude in China that married some woman that had extensive plastic surgery. Everything was cool until the first baby. It was so ugly the guy sued and got a divorce.

Gas4Strats, mad axe man and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

I'm a Fender guy but, I've never liked the American Performer. To me it's a step down from the MIM Fenders. The American Professional series, and the American Originals are great guitars. As for basswood, I've never heard of an American Fender being made of basswood. You'll probably take a bath but, if it was me, I'd sell it and opt for a better model.

GeejeeZ and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talk Member

Have you ever tried making French toast with sourdough bread? Sounds weird, tastes great!

Willmunny and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

French toast made from challah. That’s the bomb diggity.

12. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

I love the honey burst color but that huge headstock is an eyesore. I own an American Original in Olympic White that I took a chance on as I liked everything else about the guitar but the headstock has never grown on me.

NC

mazzolar59 and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

Don't give up on your fender just yet. You should take off the pickguard and re-rout the pickup cavities for Gibson Burstbuckers or Classic 57s. You can then replace the entire neck with a Warmoth 24 3/4" Gibson-scale neck. You can also pay extra to have a bound neck, like what's on most Gibsons. You should also replace the poorly wired electronics with hand-wired, American-made components. You can also plek the fingerboard. I'm sorry about the finish. Perhaps you can find a Les Paul body, you know the ones that are carved out of a solid piece of mahogany, and topped with a solid piece of maple, and put that on your new neck. Better yet, sell the American Performer Strat and buy a Gibson. There really is a tipping point where the number of fixes exceeds the value of the guitar. New tuners, new pickups, new body finish = deal breaker. I have a top-of-the-line Telecaster and Stratocaster, but leave them on their stands. My Gibson Midtown Custom, 335, and 339 get all the attention. We all like what we like, there is no right or wrong. You can't argue whether the color blue is prettier than the color green. Many people like Fenders. I like Gibsons.......PERIOD!

GeejeeZ and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Guess I'm just wicked stupid.

15. martinmj

martinmj Strat-Talk Member

16. martinmj

martinmj Strat-Talk Member

Slightly off-piste here, but be careful what you wish for regarding guitar cases. I have had two Strats arrive in hard cases, one in a rexine-covered wood ( i.e. chipboard) case that was shattered-guitar fine, though. The second, more worrying, was in a brand new Gator hard shell case that had shattered. Again, guitar fine, but the plastic of the case was so brittle, I could break it between two fingers! Appalling in a case costing so much. I contacted the UK importer, and after much arm-wresting they sent me a replacement soft case that was, and remains, superb. So i'll take a decently padded soft case over most hard cases short of a custom-made flightcase with aluminium frame.

Proliferant and runningonempty like this.
  17. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Ya know, this thread is hilarious!
    First, give the poor OP @Proliferant a break for being bored to death in this lockdown and simply wanting to share a bit of his frustration, along with hoping to get some tips that may help him out.
    Next, what really makes it funny is the large number of responses from folks who have not been able to be bothered with actually reading the thread, before responding. I realize that everyone is just SO BUSY that they can't take the time to be informed before speaking up......, but c'mon!
    Lighten Up Folks!
    Gene

18. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-Talker

I find this to be a better solution to a regular tuner, where no matter how you cut them, there's a little "needle" sticking out waiting to pierce your finger when you least expect it.

The only trouble with vintage-style tuners is that when a string breaks close to the nut, the shorter part of it may disappear only to be found years later behind a curtain :D

ZlurkCorzDog, 3bolt79 and GeejeeZ like this.
  19. Afishman9

Afishman9 Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Maybe I missed it, but do the performers have two string trees???!

20. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, American Performers have 2 string trees. The Classicgear tuners (vintage looks, modern mounting/ratio) tuners do not have staggered height posts. The guitar in my avatar photo is an American Performer Mustang - and it has 2 string trees.

3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.