Why is driving so stressful nowadays?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

IMO it's an ever-increasing rise in self-absorption and lack of empathy for others. At least that's what I've seen in my 69 years. That selfishness manifests in many ways throughout the culture. Manners on the road is just one of them.

2. 808K

808K Senior Stratmaster

Yesterday I was driving through a small town and came to a stop at a red light. Two lanes going forward, the left lane is left turn only. I’m in the right lane. Up behind me comes a big SUV which pulls into the left lane. The left lane is clearly marked for left turn only, you cannot miss the signage. So, you guessed it, the light turns green and Mr. big SUV races forward, cutting me off, as he goes straight.

Unfortunately I am seeing more and more of this. As I get older I’m a bit more calm about these things, but I still have my moments of rage.

mikej89 and CB91710 like this.
  3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

The one that really gets me is when I'm cruising at the speed limit (or 5 above) and some joker decides to ride my back bumper with their bright lights on. You want me to go faster? Eff that, I'm already going as fast as the law allows, and anyhow sometimes the guy doing it is a cop. That's when I tap my brakes and slow down to 5 below the speed limit.

4. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Silver Member

After a number of years driving one of the worst commutes in the area, I retired from driving when I retired. My other half isn't real pleased with that plan, but it does work for me, lol. The way people drive makes me crazy; I try to stay off the roads as much as possible. I spent many years riding a bicycle for transporation, and as a result, was hit by cars or trucks three times, once very seriously injured. Other drivers often don't care if you live or die ... I prefer to just stay home and play guitar, lol.

5. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker

This. Common courtesy is gone and has been replaced by impatience. I love getting passed at high speed by some jerk determined to get in front of me. Or to beat me to the traffic light. Congrats! You win!

People around here don't know (or care about) zipper merging to streamline traffic. Nor do they understand that merge lanes or meant for you to MERGE, not stop and backup traffic while you wait for an invitation to join the other traffic lane.

Couple all of this with all the distractions and you end up with safety hazards as people realize too late they're missing their exit so they shoot across multiple lanes cutting off everyone in their wake.

6. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I hear ya. There are those modern cars here, but theyre mainly reserved to the rich snowflakes who think they own the traffic because they have a bigger car, but dont know sht about anything.

My car is the most popular and cheap around here. Its a model solely produced for brazilian low-income working people, called Gol. It doesnt have any bells and whistles. No soft steering wheel, no automatic transmission.
    Most poor people here drive the oldschool way - actually driving. Three pedals, manual transmission. Thats the only thing I know.

7. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

My FIAT Abarth got rear ended last Saturday. $10k worth of damage to a car that I paid just over $20k new in 2017. Glad it wasn't my fault.

8. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

As a lifelong motorcyclist, I am a keen observer of drivers (you have to be to survive) driving has definitely gotten worse over the years. I think it's a combination of entitlement coupled with the distractions of electronic toys that many people seem unable to live without, even as they imperil themselves and others.

rafasounds and Single Malt like this.
  9. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

[QUOTE="rafasounds, post: 3494861, member: 21416"
    My car is the most popular and cheap around here. Its a model solely produced for brazilian low-income working people, called Gol. It doesnt have any bells and whistles. No soft steering wheel, no automatic transmission.
    Most poor people here drive the oldschool way - actually driving. Three pedals, manual transmission. Thats the only thing I know.[/QUOTE]

That's a proper car, in my book. No distractions, no extra stuff to break, and good gas mileage. They were sold here for a little while as the Volkswagen Fox, I've never driven one but I have driven cars that are about the same size. My current daily driver is an 86 Toyota MR2, which is a little bit smaller with a sports car vibe.

rafasounds likes this.
  10. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

Wisconsin? lol, every time being there at my cousins it is a joy for me to drive - so relaxing.
    Come to Germany and I bet you will be covered with sweat in about 10 minutes driving in Rock City Hannover.
    But yes, it is getting more crazy from year to year.
    Even in good old Wisconsin.

All the best,
    Robin

11. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Oftentimes I'm doing 10 over and someone is still on my ass.

I just pull over and let them pass me.

I figure they are my ideal look-out; if there are any hidden pigs ahead, they'll find them for me.

CB91710 and dirocyn like this.
  12. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Good point, well made :cool:

13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I just don't worry about it. I enjoy driving. Momentary issues with other drivers are just low on my "care" list. Miz Diane cusses and fusses about every little slight given by anyone else on the road. She thinks all humans should drive like her, read her mind and get the hell outta her way!

rafasounds likes this.
  14. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

You think its bad driving a car, try riding a motorcycle on some scenic back road and watch what happens. Out of no were a car appears right up on your butt. Your doing the speed limit which is usually 35 takng in all the country beauty and smells and as soon as you let that car go by, another one is right behind you to take its place. I spend more time pulling off to the side to let cars go by then anything else. Its gotten to a point that riding isnt even enjoyable anymore. Everyone is in such a hurry I don’t get it. No one is driving the speed limit now days. Drivers are doing 55-60 on 35 back roads and are smack in the middle of the road rounding a curve because they wouldn’t make it if they stayed in their own lane.

When I drive the highway here its posted 65 and people are just blowing by like I was parked. I tried to keep up a few times to see how fast their traveling and its right up to 85-95. We took two trips from CT to Myrtle Beach and never during the entire trip either time did anyone on the highway stay behind us for more than 30 seconds and we were flying at 70, we usually drive 5mph over posted speed limit. They just pull out and blow by you and within seconds are gone and out of sight.

People don’t have a clue how easy it is to roll a car especally SUV’s at those speeds, game over.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    ZlurkCorzDog and rafasounds like this.
  15. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Cool stories.. BRB going to run to the store. :)

mms.gif

rafasounds likes this.
  16. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

the reason is because humans are involved, most of which are better than you and do not need to follow the same set of rules you do.

"your honor, i have on camera the man i killed flipping me off as he passed me in a no passing zone while threatening my families life as he almost ran me off the road.

i shot him when i caught up to him at the light and he was rude to me again, here is the tape."

you are free to go, sir.

thank you your honor.

was i day dreaming again?

17. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Because you can get anything at Sears or Walmart - including a driver’s license.

( most folks do ).

18. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

Stress factor is High today so people are more stressed. You would think that stress factor would be lower with the advances we have made for a easy'r life. I guess keeping up with the jones via advertisements, got to have this or your life isn't good type thing puts more stress into ones life. My Father said if you want less people driving the only people that actualy own their car could drive not bank owned making payments

19. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Impatience and distractions are the leading causes of bad driving behavior, IMHO. Reminds me of something my Dad told me when I was learning to drive. He said " Son, drive defensively, like everyone on the road is out to get you. Don't be paranoid, just be aware." I have always remembered that.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  20. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

Cars are much safer than they were when I started driving in the '70's. Consequently, dunderheads who used to crash cars and kill themselves, are walking away without a scratch. As as result , the entire gene pool is tainted with the descendants of these same dunderheads. The obvious long term result: increased amounts of bad drivers.