Why is driving so stressful nowadays?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Because of people like this!

s5tuart likes this.
  2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Bingo.
    Metropolitan areas are the worst.
    Los Angeles County has 10 million people... 1/4 the population of California.
    LA County could split out and become its own state and it would be the 11th most populous right behind Michigan, and would beat New Jersey as the most densely populated.
    LA County is a little over 3x the size of Rhode Island with 10x the population.
    And that population increases easily by 500k every morning at 8am when people who live in the IE, Ventura County, and Orange County commute to work.

Put two bugs in a jar and shake it up. They will kill each other.

3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I haven't been on 2 wheels since 2012, and probably never will be again until I retire and leave California.

4. Chasy

Chasy Strat-O-Master

Also, a lot less police. Towns are all broke for the most part.

5. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

I've been driving in the same region for just over 40 years. The never ending numbers of drivers on the roads at the same time increases, while the road systems are largely unchanged.

We all drive vehicles from ~3000 pounds to over 6000 in relative anonymity in our own little space that continues to get squeezed ever smaller. When the little spaces collide with no sheet metal damage we act out in ways that are far less than dignified.

I think that is why ginormous SUV-like vehicles sell so well. "I'm bigger than you, so out of my F'in way!". :(

It will do nothing but get worse over time.

6. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

in this part of Texas the drivers seem to do pretty good. most here are courteous.
    of course, damn near everyone has a loaded pistol in the car too.....so that may have something to do with it.

7. CountryGent

CountryGent Strat-Talker

Just a different prospective. When I went to CA in about 1995 naturally I hired a car...everything is mirror image :eek:
    I wobbled on the roads trying to adjust to where I'm supposed to be, then the left turns :eek: huge open space! Why is the guy behind pushing my rear end at traffic lights?? Is this where I get shot?

It gets risky when, I knew was making traffic errors at turns and junctions, in the UK we have a vague set of apologetic hand signals that work 99% of the time, I naturally reached for these... until one dood in a cowboy hat, big face fuzz looked rather... gun time again! :eek:

Anyway, no harm done. Sadly it's the same in my part of the UK, our roads are very crowded, everytime out is a mad drive. I think it's compounded by the new people used to driving on the other side of the road. I have nasty encounters with the same guy (in an Audi) almost everytime I go to my supermarket. From studing his attitude and road sense, it's deffo back to front, as per my visit to the US.
    The biggest clue was, after the abuse he threw a gooey McDonalds sauce pot at my car, typical of a certain country that.

8. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I live in Atlanta. It's a miracle every single day that I pull into my driveway. Lol.

CB91710 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  9. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

I feel for you! Lol, between I-85, I-75, I-20, and I(nsane)-285, even just driving THRU Atlanta is like jumping into a meat grinder hoping you come out the other side and not be hamburger meat. :eek:

10. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

I live between Baltimore and Washington there's not much patience around here. I used to drive 100 miles a day. I had no use for dawdlers but that was highway driving.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

Two very simple, correctable reasons:

#1: Folks don't know how to get to where they are going (real time direction cyphering, last minute lane changes, stalled merges, rubber necking, reading a phone map, etc)

and

#2: Folks will risk their lives and yours to avoid a missed turn, exit, merge, speed, reading a phone map, etc. (basically recklessness mixed with #1)

This is 90% of all unexpected maneuvering that you and I encounter every day as commuters.

Distracted driving is an issue, but these folks are driving 10 mph under the limit in the right lane, as we all drive around them. I call them phone zombies. They are tolerable, till they realize they are now late, put down the phone (or not) and transform into #2.

CB91710 likes this.
  12. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I would like to see a variety of driving habits get serious treatment by the LEO's.
    You could start with phone users, treat them just like drunks, first bust is a fine and community service next bust is no license *period*.

13. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

Totally agree- except I'd be a lot tougher, first time 30 days suspension, second lifetime and a year or more in jail if caught driving under suspension

these idiots risk all of our lives daily, and I'm heartily sick of it

33db and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  14. heltershelton

man I drove there for 10 years. every morning we drove...err.....raced a bunch of ups trucks down to the airport from 285 and 85. I think if you can drive in Atlanta, you can drive anywhere.

TSims1 likes this.
  15. heltershelton

yeah ...I can't stand people who insist on driving while using their phones. I followed someone who almost killed me once and made them pee in their pants.

16. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

I have never heard anyone say that adding more people and cars to our cities will help ease congestion.Conversely,i have never heard anyone say reducing the number of people from our cities will help congestion.No one dares touch that subject(having smaller families,no families or delaying having a family).And there are other population problems but we really wont go there.

CB91710 likes this.
  17. aiabx

aiabx Strat-O-Master Silver Member

My gut feeling (speaking as a cyclist who may have a different perspective) is that the fashion for giant pickups and SUVs gives drivers a sense of invincibility and being above the mere mortals on the road that encourages them to drive with maximum aggression and entitlement. Not to mention cities have been growing. Toronto is 3 times the size it was when I moved here in 1982 but there aren't 3 times as many roads. Something has to change.

montemerrick likes this.
  18. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Pull over and let 'em pass, right? I drove on the job for thirty years twenty-five thousand miles/year just on the job mostly in city traffic. For the last seven years I worked, I taught evasive driving and accident avoidance to government workers in everything from compacts to tractor trailers. I have always used the big cushion theory that putting my vehicle in a space where I can see and am visible and maintaining a big gap between me and following or leading vehicles. Not always easy, but the "smart" way to think. I currently commute 80 miles to medical appointments in a rural area. There are invariably locals who know the road better than me and I make room for them to pass, in the vain hope that they will return the favor when I pull behind them in the fast lane and flash my high beams.

19. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I think you're on to something, and it works the other way too. I own a full size pickup and a tiny sports car. My sports car is nimble and quick--and no matter how fast I drive there's always some entitled a-hole who wants to drive right up my tailpipe. My pickup is slower than molasses, but it's got a big shiny steel back bumper and it's a good deal more solid than anything built since 1990. For some reason nobody rides my back bumper when I'm in the pickup.

I think it boils down to an expression of dominance. Consciously or not, people decide they can dominate my little sports car--even if I haven't got anywhere to go to get out of their way. And people decide they can't dominate my pickup, because they know if they rear end me ...it's going to be very bad for their car.

20. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit!

Driving is not stressful...people are with their expectations of others in an already naturally stressful situation...if you let them.:sneaky: It will be what it will be and if you get stressed about it, you know what you get? Stressed...enjoy!:rolleyes:

s5tuart likes this.