Why is my modded wa-wa pedal isn't functioning?

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by alialxnunez, Jan 17, 2021.

1. alialxnunez

alialxnunez Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys I just modded my wa-wa pedal but it doesn't works for some reason... I want to know if any of u can help me.

Here's how I modded it.

Pls help me guys. You're my only hope. 20210117_213653.jpg

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

The solder connects on that switch look terrible and the green wire is all chewed up or melted looking. Not sure what mod you did so without a schematic not sure what went wrong unless it’s a bad connection.

3. alialxnunez

i used this schematic

yeah I know it's my first time modding a pedal... don't judge me. :(

Attached Files:

4. StratUp

StratUp Strat-Talker

1) Need a bigger photo
    2) Did you take a photo beforehand?
    3) Does it work for straight through / no wah?

5. alialxnunez

no.. i don't have any sound of the guitar just static.
    no i didn't but it was just a normal buffered switch with the blue and white on the right and brown on the left. (in the schematic above i thick is seen like old switch)

Attached Files:

6. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Couple things jump out to me.. First I am assuming your black to center of the switch is ground.

Brown wire looks like it isn't soldered in both locations (circled)

Would also make sure your blue and white aren't arcing. I'd probably move the white, but thats just me.

Image1.jpg

Practice makes perfect. :)

7. alialxnunez

thank you thank you thank you

I'll try it first thing tomorrow. that was another thing I thought... does that means it goes soldered both ways but I didn't know so I'll try it. and okay I'll move the white one aside so it doesn't makes contact with the blue one. :)

8. StratUp

StratUp Strat-Talker

Is the switch oriented correctly? In other words, should it have been turned 90 degrees?

I don't know those switches well enough to know which way the 3PDT operates, but if the diagram you posted has the terminals shown in the correct orientation (long direction on the contact should be horizontal), then your installation is off 90 degrees.

Believer7713, CigBurn and CB91710 like this.
  9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

That was my first thought as well.

10. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Oooo I never even noticed that, though I don't know if it matters either on those, its a great observation.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  11. CB91710

It absolutely matters....

3P2T.jpg

4P2T are more obvious, like 2P2T, but since the 3P switches have the same number of contacts on each side, it's easy to confuse them.
    Even if they are marked, I always check them with a meter and tag the "C" on both sides of the case.
    Normally, the "wider" side of the case will be the N/C and N/O side, as drawn.

I really do think OP has his switch rotated.

Robins, Believer7713 and CigBurn like this.
  12. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

go buy a new 3p3t switch - by now the contacts are probably burned or internally melted.

note the orientation of the switch as others have previously mentioned.

use insulated hookup wire on both the jumpers.

make sure the wires are clean and freshly tinned. clean your solder before applying it to the join, and use a flux pen, if you have not already got one.

If you can't get a new 3p3t, then you will need some desoldering braid and will have to thoroughly clean the terminals of all old solder.

test the switch operation with a DMM. make sure all contacts that are NO are NO and all that are NC are NC, then press the switch and check for opposite behaviour.

once switch test is valid, then reconnect all wires as per schematic and test. Do NOT cross any wires. Wires should always be routed directly to the terminal and all leads should be dressed to the absolute minimum required for solid mechanical connection to the terminal eyelet. You can use small pointed nose pliers to ensure the wire passes through the eyelet and stays close to the post, preventing any potential bridging of terminals and minimizing the amount of solder (and therefore heat applied to the joint) as possible.

That will eliminate the switch and it's solder connections from your diagnostic process. Any issues subsequent to this are no longer an issue with the switch, but elsewhere in the circuit that has been modified or a mishandling of component/wiring leading to a short or a break.

CB91710 likes this.
  13. CB91710

Yep... Looking at the circuit, the switch is definitely rotated.
    Hopefully nothing has been damaged, but it looks like worst case, it has only been switching the ground between the input and output, so the pedal should be OK.

Top drawing shows the switch in the "off" position.
    The input from the guitar is disconnected from the board, and the right part of the switch connects it to the output jack.
    The board input is connected to ground to silence any noise through the 4 connections on the top left.

The bottom drawing is in the "on" position. The middle set of contacts does nothing. The left side connects the input to the board, and the right side connects the output to the board.
    Note that the circuit is still active any time there is a cable plugged into the input, so this will not save the battery.

bypass.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Robins likes this.
  14. StratUp

StratUp Strat-Talker

I wouldn't worry about reusing the switch... but then again, I used to take old TV's apart and reuse the components :- )

De-solder the wires, pull the switch out of the box. Heat each terminal a little and tap the switch on a table. Solder should drop to the table. Repeat if needed and move through all the terminals. Clean up all the terminals, test the switch, and rewire as described above. Do it a little neater without the burned insulation and possible crossed connections. @JB74 has some good tips.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Same diagram I used to mod my Vox 847 seven or so years ago, so I can say once the wires are properly connected it does work.

Robins, Wound_Up and CB91710 like this.