Join Strat-Talk Today

Why is the 5e3 circuit so expensive ?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SilvaStrat, Oct 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-O-Master

2. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-O-Master

8FDDC365-9AFB-46D4-BA27-D3259DAC4D33.jpeg https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/65Amps_Tupelo_Combo_Amp_Review?page=2

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  3. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

Ah yes, you are right. A dizzying variety of.... drive, drive and more drive.

Or those gorgeous sweet cleans.... shame they are so quiet that no one can hear them.

Pedals? Oh no, can't use them.

Humbuckers? Well, maybe as long as they are low output.

Knobs? What are they?

But, shhhhhhh don't spoil the myth!

;)

Ash-Man likes this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Well...this isn't that video ( I pulled it a while back), but this is a 5e3 circuit in a champ box with an Alnico 10. Its a pickup demo for the P90s I used to wind.

Yes. The volume knob is your friend.

Stark, CB91710, Andrew Wasson and 7 others like this.
  5. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

I don't get it either man, I think it's just another thing that has been talked up to the point of demanding a premium price, by the time I could ever get one loud enough it got farty on me? I'm sure I was doing something wrong the low powered twin was always a better option for me...

CephasG and esseff like this.
  6. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I expect this is very accurate!

Bowmap and Stratoskater like this.
  7. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

Of course you were doing something wrong! Just like I don't know what I'm talking about.
    ;)

Ash-Man likes this.
  8. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

You've inadvertently hit the nail on the head. The market right now has small tube amps, particularly Fender amps, in fashion. @fezz parka has mentioned dozens of times about the great PA technology these days and the trend away from large hi-powered amps (for many genres) to small simple amps- and the 5E3 is seen as the acme of the small Fender amps.
    In the 80s the small amps were a couple hundred bucks as I recall, but we all wanted Supers for $1500+. Now I keep seeing Champs, Princetons, etc. & even some clones costing as much and often more than BF & SF Twins and Supers.
    And in the clone market, I dare say the 5E3 is King, so I contend trends are likely dictating price as much or more than costs of production.
    That being said, I was sold very quickly on a tweed clone once I started looking at them. I opted for the 5F11, and it's been a great choice- probably the best choice for me, but I am still eyeing a 5E3.

93-Strat likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Silly me buying pre made amps....

10. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

At the risk of stirring a turd, it's like the amp (and I've tried several) was just very easily overwhelmed, especially with as you said in another post, humbuckers, if I was playing traditional rock n roll and country type stuff only pretty quietly it was all good, but hot blues and rock was a disaster live

And for every time I say that 10 people jump up and say "nah dude you messed somethin up, you're not worthy of the amp" I always just laugh it off knowing I'm aware of how to set an amp after quite some time of playing many different rooms, most of that was sans pedals too...

esseff likes this.
  11. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

You are soooooooo not cool.
    ;)

12. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

The good side of buying pre made amps is that it leaves you more time to play !

Wiring amps is a real drug.

13. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

some of you will just never get it.

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

That is not a proper 5e3, just an amp "based" on it. See all those other things like a master volume on it that was not on the original, that will change it. I would not buy that amp if you are looking for the real 5e3 experience.

This is the truth Stormy. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it understand how to use a 5e3 properly :D

15. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

It's not the right amp for every situation.
    I couldn't gig one with my current projects either.
    It's a small amp with a small output, and at any significant volume, it's going to crunch up.

It is great in the studio for that vintage overdriven fender sound.
    And at low volume it can be clean.

It's certainly not the "end all be all" of amps, but it is a great amp for certain things.

Stratoskater likes this.
  16. Stratoskater

I know right, Mike Campbell, Larry Carlton, Rich Robinson, Neil Young, Billy Gibbons, The Edge, Don Felder, Steve Cropper and Scotty Moore all sounded like crap playing rock and blues on a 5e3 live.

I expect you do know how to setup an amp but considering how many great blues and rock songs have been recorded and played live on a 5e3 I will have to agree that it's something in the way you set it up or you are a leave guitar on 10 type player if you can't get a 5e3 to sound good. Hell I can put all the amp knobs at 6 (halfway up since they go to 12) and use my guitars volume and get any thing from clean to full on rock. I play Tele's, Strats and ES 335 and LP with it and it does equally well with Humbuckers and Single. What 5e3 amps have you played? Were they true to the original circuit and have the proper pine cab or are the modified versions of it?

As much as I love the 5e3 I do recognize it is not an amp for everyone. It requires you to spend some time with it and learn how the volumes and tone interact with each other and it is absolutely not an amp for someone who does not ride their guitar volume. I think too many people expect it to be as easy as a DR or PR to use and while you can just set everything to noon and get a very good sound you will not get the full range of tones it can produce until you really dig in and learn how to use it.

CB91710 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  17. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Strat-Talk Member

Check out the Speedshop for everything you wanted to know about the 5e3. Rondo is the expert’s expert.

http://www.tweeddeluxe.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stratoskater likes this.
  18. Stratoskater

So watch the video Fezz posted below your comment. Were those cleans so quiet no one could hear, was that just dirt, dirt and more dirt? Of course not because he used his guitars volume and varied his picking hand attack.

As I have said the 5e3 circuit is not for everyone, you have to know how to use a guitar volume and vary your picking hand dynamics to get the full benefit of this amp. If you're a leave the guitar on 10 and pound away with the picking hand player then this amp is not for you.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  19. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

If you're Joe Pedal, It's not for you.

I've played through every size amp imaginable. And when I was still gigging I had the 5e3, a 5d4, and a 5e6a at my disposal. A Deluxe, a Super, and a Bassman. Mostly for different sized stages for my stage volume. Its funny, you get in a bigger venue and you think you need to be louder. Not true with good FOH.

No, some people don't get it. They have to go their own way. That's fine. It's their choice. Some people think the volume knob on a Strat is in the way. I think its perfect, because I actually use it.

Do what makes you happy. Choose the things you like, and let others like the things the like, even though the things they like make no sense to you.;)

20. GaryM

GaryM Strat-Talker

The VHT Standard 12 is a modern production run clone of the 5E3. They are out there for less money than a hand built, custom shop or a Fender. Sadly, I think they have been discontinued.

For your tweed tone listening pleasure, the album "Tres Hombres" by ZZ Top sure sounds like it was recorded on a 5E3. (IMHO)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.