Join Strat-Talk Today

Why is the Classic Vibe 50's being discontinued?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by 357mag, Oct 8, 2019.

1. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

I bought a used Classic Vibe 50's on Ebay so that is coming but the manager at my local store told me today that she learned Fender was discontinuing that model. She went on to say that at the beginning of January they are introducing a slightly different model with a different model number.

Why?

Groovey likes this.
  2. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

If Fender's recent history is a clue, it will be discontinued and replaced with a more expensive model.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, this is true. Squier stopped making the Classic Vibe in China, and now all of them are being made in Indonesia with slight changes. We've known about this for months.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=squier+classic+vibe

Why? Because about every 8-10 years Squier makes major changes to the line, it was just time.

@357mag

4. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

My understanding was Fender is refreshing the whole Classic Vibe line and moving it to Indonesia.

I've been eyeing the Mustang and the Tele Custom.

Sweetwater is showing 'New' CV 50's on the way, $50 less that the current line.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...assic-vibe-50s-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCV50WB--squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-white-blonde

Here's the new Custom:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ic-vibe-60s-telecaster-custom-3-tone-sunburst

PCollen and Raphael256 like this.
  5. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Curiously, the Indo CV 50's Strat will have a Pine body. All of the other Indo CV's will be either Poplar or Nato. I sort of wonder about a pine body and poly finish. I suspect there will be big chunks of finish cracking off of those CV 50's at the slightest bump. JMO!

FWIW, I LOVE my Chinese CV 60's. Big beefy neck and supurb craftsmanship. Plus the tonerider pups are just sweet sweet sweet!

@357mag ......... post up some pics of you new git!

Will Lefeurve and Viking like this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

The CV50s China made Tele from 2008-2018 was a pine body and poly finish - no problems.....

Stratwrangler and Will Lefeurve like this.
  8. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Me thinks it was Alder.............. ???

I'll stand by my caution of Pine body (very soft) and (very hard) poly. That's a bad combo.

Update: All of the references/reviews I've found state the Indo CV 60's body material as alder or basswood. Not sure about the 50's.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  9. Guitarmageddon

10. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

With the pine and polyurethane finish the factory used, a decade of MIC CV 50s Teles have had no significant issues with either wood or finish. Not soft and not prone to chipping.

Thrup'ny Bit and johnnymg like this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Wrong again :p Them be that pine wood... As for being soft, let me kabong you with mine, so we can both be sure. :)

12. Raphael256

Raphael256 Strat-Talker

I highly recommend New classic vibe series. Quality is at its finest. I own 70 cv strat in oly white, changed pickguard to
    mint

13. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Miracle of miracles, it’s being replaced with a cheaper model.

slowesthand likes this.
  14. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

15. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

I have a CV50 tele (avatar, which needs to be updated, I put the maple neck back on) since 2010 and it was NOS 2008 when I bought it. It's been my primary guitar until my recent return to Gibson primacy. There is but one chip on it and i suspect that came from an unauthorized visit by my nephew since it would have been the only guitar out on a stand. Given that this boy was a force of nature, any other guitar would probably be splinters. That's why I hid my Gibson from him.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  16. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

17. sadmoodyfrazier

Nato is similar to Mahogany.

18. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

That's $50 saved to put towards a better set of pickups, IMO. The White and BS CV 50s Teles used to have different pickups, IAR. Now there is no difference mentioned.

19. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

I don't get the why of any of this. Why move from China to Indonesia in the first place. Why change from Alder to these woods I've never heard of. Nato? National Atlantic Treaty Organization?

Why can't companies learn to leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

20. sadmoodyfrazier

Indonesian guitars usually are better than chinese. I love Indonesian ones. Every time I've seen a brand changing from China to Indonesia I've seen a better build quality. Most of the guitars made in Indonesia are mady by Cort. I don't know about the choice of NATO. Yamaha uses NATO on cheap acoustic guitars. Every time I've seen "NATO" I've always said "what a cheap sucking wood is this?" and every time I've been surprised about how much sounds good. It's very similar to mahogany. Anyway on these cheap 2mm polyester solid body guitars you would never feel any difference between ash, alder, nato, mahogany, basswood or whatever else. Trust me. I don't want to say that on a solid body guitar the wood doesn't make any difference... but...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.