Join Strat-Talk Today

Why the Blues Junior hate?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by nederemer, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I kind of want to get a Pro Jr, but I think I’m going to get a Tweed Champ instead.

RJ Squirrel, Ferpie and rafasounds like this.
  2. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

You can roll your own! Select "COMPLETE" from the drop down menu.

LINK

TP

Bighump and Nate D like this.
  3. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

I play a Pro Jr. with a 12" cab and it sounds more robust, or less artificial to me than the Blues Jr. Simpler too, 2 knobs......

Stratoskater and fezz parka like this.
  4. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I have one with all the BillM mods. It’s OK. It’s the one I grab if I’m going to be someplace where my stuff might get stolen.

rafasounds likes this.
  5. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

The Fender Blues Deluxe was the best thing I could afford in this no one's land where I happen to live. It was like paying a leg and a liver for that amp at the time. You guys up there have no idea how blessed you are in the sense that you can have the best stuff with less pain. I'm not saying that you don't have to fight to have your stuff. It's just that you get much more for your money.

Having said that, I know the Blues Deluxe isn't one of the "to die for" Fender amps. I know it was made to look like a classic Fender amp, but the insides are common components with the most cost reduction in mind. I know the "real" Fender amps sound better, richer, you name it.

For someone like me, who did not play a "real tube amp" until age 25, when I had been playing guitar for almost 20 years, having a Blues Deluxe was a real blessing. It may not be the best amp, but it doesn't suck IMO. It may sound a little "fender generic", but it's good enough for me to go onstage and shake my @ss when I need it. The nice thing about the Blues Deluxe is that I can "silence" the drummer with it. It's more efficient when I turn it towards the drummer and just blast and vaporize the bugger LOL

As for the Blues Jr, I'd like to have one for home use and the little challenge/jam recordings I sometimes do. But I think a Fender Super Champ XD would suit that purpose much better, and with more flexibility.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    RJ Squirrel and nederemer like this.
  6. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I enjoyed my BJ Tweed. I did most of the billm mods and upgraded the speaker and tubes. It was a very nice sounding amp after the mods.

nederemer likes this.
  7. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Regarding the reverb, I bought a brand new HRD IV and it convinced me that I didn't like spring reverb. Then I built a Princeton Reverb from a kit and it has me in love with spring reverb. I guess it's based on what Fezz said regarding the IC driven reverb. Just never got along with it.

I didn't dislike (but also didn't love) the tone. Overall it was good, but I sold it because my PR build turned out awesome and was more than loud enough after I accidentally ended up making it an 18-20 watt amp.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

The Pro Jr. is a great amp. Especially in a bigger box with a 12.

Grux and RJ Squirrel like this.
  9. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talker

They are perfectly good amps used by lots of great players. I don't get it either. i guess looking down on things makes some people feel superior;)

nederemer and rafasounds like this.
  10. Nate D

The thing is, the click down menu doesn’t have the soldering skills necessary.

Bcorig likes this.
  11. Nate D

I don’t know how to do that. Lol

fezz parka likes this.
  12. fezz parka

You don't need to. You have great amps.

Grux, Nate D and RJ Squirrel like this.
  13. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You seem to be implying that anyone who dislikes a BJr is somehow guided by an internal process that ignores the amp’s good qualities. Allow me to disabuse you of this notion: my first-gen Blooze Junior sucked out loud. It was not a perfectly good amp, not even after a speaker swap. In a year of trying I didn’t get a single usable track out of it. As I said before, I think they’re greatly improved, but the early ones are probably the source of the “hate,” if you can call it that.

fezz parka likes this.
  14. fezz parka

People like lots of things and dislike others. Some people think McDonald's makes good hamburgers. Or that Taco Bell is good Mexican food.

Would I use a Blooze Jr. if I had no other option? Sure. I know how to play and turn some knobs.
    I can make music with a First Act guitar through a Gorilla amp and have people enjoy it. But will I? Probably not.LOL

15. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

hahaha - taco bell pachabel.... i caught that sly plug for the practical music workshop #4

Thrup'ny Bit, duzie and fezz parka like this.
  16. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Many fans of this amp were sold on a long list of mods available for DIY. Between that, and other choices (that sound different) especially higher priced tube amps, there you have the story. ;)

Wish I had the tweed version, hmm.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Bcorig likes this.
  17. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

In all fairness to the new BJ I dont believe that the power amp or preamps are attached directly to the circuit board. They are attached on a seperate board from the main circuit board. The pots are attched directly but IMO that is not so much an issue as if it were the power tubes.

For me playing it vs practically everything else Marshall, Vox or BlackStar offers in the same range its a pretty mediocre amp.

For what it is I much rather bust out an extra 150-200$ bucks for a 68 Princeton or 68 Deluxe Reverb. With a 15% discount you can get either with a bit more cash and have a much much better amp.

The amp just sounds like nothing impresionable or with character. Its litterally some amp the marketing team at Fender made to put at a price point. Just tried the newer one at GC the other day and somehow this version is the worst version yet.

Given the opportunity cost.....Almost every other option for the same money or a bit more is a better option and IMO getting a Blues Junior for me is just throwing cash down the toilet.

18. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

@Seamus OReally it is your opinion, and you are most definitely entitled to it. However, I have a first generation BJ, bought new in 1996/7, and have found it most definitely usable. A superb amp, that's played hundreds of gigs, and been used at home as well. That's the trouble with opinions, everybody's got the ruddy things. Even more so since internet forums came into being.. ;)

Jeffl, Bcorig and rafasounds like this.
  19. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

fezz parka likes this.
  20. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

One man's "superb" is another man's "reaching".. ;):D

ChrisD and rafasounds like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.