1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Why the hate on chorus pedals?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by grritz, Jul 19, 2020.

Chorus pedal: How much do you use one?

1. I often use a chorus pedal

25.0%
  2. I sometimes use a chorus pedal

21.3%
  3. I occasionally use a chorus pedal

17.6%
  4. I rarely use a chorus pedal

12.5%
  5. I never use a chorus pedal

23.5%
  1. grritz

grritz Still 17 between the ears Silver Member

I've been following various threads on Strat-Talk for the past few months, and I've noticed that a lot of folks don't seem to like chorus pedals. I don't know why that's so. I have an overdrive, a delay and a chorus on my small pedalboard, and I really like the chorus for some of the stuff I play. Not a lot...but there are times when a chorus — carefully used — lends a bit of sparkle and depth to a song.

Some of the comments I've seen are like: "Never! Chorus is so unkewl. It's soooo 80s!" Or: "Chorus was soooo overused! I can't stand chorus."

I understand that...but the 80s were 40 years ago! And, yes, anything can be overused: OD, distortion, wah...

So, why the hate on chorus pedals? Or...are we getting past that and I'm just confused? :confused:

JP68 likes this.
  2. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

Give me a pedal board without a chorus on it and I'll condemn that board to hell. I love chorus!

rafasounds, mikej89, Chont and 3 others like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Well, I was playing 40 years ago, listening to rock stations, and I have yet to get over it.

CapCrunch, mjea80, Kdawg1966 and 2 others like this.
  4. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. I wouldn't believe everything you read.

Jason D, Deafsoundguy and stormsedge like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I don't hate them. I have one but there's not much use for it as far as what I play now.

Glyderslead and AxemanVR like this.
  6. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Depends on how they are used, I prefer a good detune to a chorus, after the 80's any chorus that stands out sounds cheesy to me.

AxemanVR and jungle faced jake like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I use my chorus pedal (Caline Ultra Chorus) a lot...and recently ordered an octave pedal (Mooer Tender II). But I played my 12 string almost exclusively for >40 years, so I'm only a nudge away from trading all but one six string in and going all Roger McGuinn anyway. o_O

8. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I prefer a rotary or a flanger first adding that kind of shimmer to the sound and I have no particular fondness for the 80s music that featured it heavily.

Ebidis and unionjack515 like this.
  9. carver

carver Gone strangling

It’s funny to think that people hate certain effects

what a strange thing to hate

that’s like saying I can’t stand wearing boots in the summer. Well... don’t then.. and problem solved
    Doesn’t mean boots suck.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  10. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I had a rackmount chorus duct-taped to the top of my amp throughout the 80s. I mostly strum and it added a nice shimmer to my chords. Then for decades I went just straight to the amp using only the amp's reverb and overdrive.

Just recently I started getting into pedals and picked up an MXR Analog Chorus and as soon as I plugged into it I felt like I was at home.

I use chorus almost always on again now, but it's set very mild, you almost can't tell it's on til you turn it off. Just adds a little shimmer and movement. Nothing wrong with that!

11. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

I don't own a Chorus effect, and voted Never Use.

Funny that your post came up.
    I was looking into various Chorus pedals.
    So, I am on the fence ( so to speak ) since Justifying the cost vs return is difficult.

12. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

I use chorus quite a bit, but I also play a lot of Police, U2, etc., particular when I’m warming up. I feel like there’s a pretty heavy chorus presence on heavier sounds like Nirvana songs as well as older Metallica as well (sanatorium, one. Etc.), I think they can be overused, but can add nice depth to a song too.

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

Like any effect, Chorus can be over used.

For me, anything that severely alters my original guitar tone needs to be carefully considered.

This is especially true if using effects as a substitute for improving on ones playing technique.

I have a chorus pedal that I use when the occasion calls for it, otherwise it stays in its box...

14. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The issue is overzealous use.

Same with distortion, fuzz, vibe, flanger, delay etc.... overuse leads to incoherent communication.

15. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I’ve owned several over the years. Used at the right time Chorus can really make a part stick out.... I guess some people forget to turn they off...

16. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

D10C328E-A557-4890-9FA2-FEE02E491EB3.jpeg I just picked up an Electric Mistress by EHX and it’s much more classic rock / psychedelic than 80’s cheese. I do tend to prefer flang over chorus but the mistress lets you blend them both and it’s total Pink Floyd sounding.

the 80’s sure made folks dislike chorus as it was indeed cheesy. But let’s face it, it was a cheesy decade. Doesn’t mean chorus isn’t a great effect to use

Impulsive guppy, guitarface and Chont like this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I don't use a chorus pedal, but I do sometimes add chorus to guitar parts. I can't say I've ever noticed any hate of chorus pedals though.

AxemanVR likes this.
  18. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I love the sound of a good Chorus pedal.

19. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I use a TC stereo chorus in the tri chorus mode. The tri chorus mode isn't as " chorus-y " as normal but in stereo it really adds depth. It doesn't sound as under water IOW.

mikej89 likes this.
  20. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

I use a Digitech Multi Chorus and I like it. Don't use it a lot but there are times when it's just right. Like the main rhythm sound on this, it just sounds right to me.

(I really should go back and tweak the vocals on this, but damn I'm lazy)