Why the hate on chorus pedals?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by grritz, Jul 19, 2020.

Chorus pedal: How much do you use one?

1. I often use a chorus pedal

25.6%
  2. I sometimes use a chorus pedal

20.9%
  3. I occasionally use a chorus pedal

16.3%
  4. I rarely use a chorus pedal

12.4%
  5. I never use a chorus pedal

24.8%
  1. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I like chorus. I like to feel like the old uncle playing chorused little open string chords. It's a part of my being I don't want to give up.

JB74 likes this.
  2. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

I have a Boss Super Chorus CH-1. I don't remember why I bought it and I don't know what to do with it. It's not even in my chain and hasn't been for over a year.

circles likes this.
  3. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Given the rate at which you buy and sell stuff, I'm hardly surprised :D:p:whistling:

circles likes this.
  4. fommof

fommof Strat-Talker

I don't hate chorus pedals but in 30 years I've only owned one (an ancient Morley if I am not mistaken) and that was a couple of years after I started playing and I didn't have any money to buy a Univibe pedal or something similar instead (1990, ancient times).

Just not my thing, it doesn't really fit to my music, it never did.

To sweaten my sound I prefer the Univibe and nowadays I find its vibrato mode (low-mid rate and speed) much more useful than the chorus mode.

dirocyn and circles like this.
  5. Doug B

Doug B Strat-Talker

Could you name some good detune pedals? Thanks

6. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

There's real simple ones that do nothing but detune, like the digitech luxe, and some chorus pedals have a detune mode.

I use the Boss PS-6 Harmonist, which gives you pitch shifting, chorus and detune, I also have a detune built into the HELIX.https://www.boss.info/us/products/ps-6/

The-Kid likes this.
  7. billy1187

billy1187 Strat-Talk Member

The chorus is a notable example of an effect that can be very easily misused or over-used. I remember the 80s as well as anybody and while some folks might write it off as “the sound” back then, there were a lot of other players at the time who thought they made guitars sound weak and bad.

For me, a little (subtle!) use on a clean arpeggio part here or there, and as needed on a couple key covers worked and still works great. Some guys would get a stereo thing going if they were the only guitar player to widen things out but again, subtle.

I recall Concrete Blonde was an especially egregious example, great band with a solid and somewhat underrated guitar player, and just a plastic guitar sound. Chorus drenched all over it.

8. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Me to - no chorus pedal but I do use a Roland Dimension D emulator plugin on the recorded tracks.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  9. billy1187

billy1187 Strat-Talk Member

Kind of the same thing. I only have the Axe FX 3 and an add-on expression pedal anymore, and record a separate dry track I tool with later. Chorus (like anything else) is best sorted out in a mix context, it’s right up there with delay effects in that they can sound overkill when sitting around jamming solo, but then are largely tempered against the rest of the band. Or at least they can be.

All told though, at least for me, its a very sparingly used mod effect as are flangers and phasers. Tremolo is my go-to if that counts as a modulation type.

10. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Really Depends On what Your Playing or want to play, Sometimes You may Use it other times Not

11. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i have the cheapest boss chorus pedal out there and am only using factory suggested settings but i like it.

JB74 likes this.
  12. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

I like a good chorus effect...when it fits the song that I hear in my head. Just like any other effect. Mine is the older version of the BYOC Analog Chorus...before they redesigned it to be a CE-2 clone.

I also had a Worship music leader that would say that she hated the sound of a chorus but wanted every song we played to sound like either Hillsong, Bethel Music or Coldplay. The only way that I could get her to like the way my guitars sounded was to use the chorus pedal on about 90% of the music e played because without it the sound just wasn't "thick enough" at the lower volumes that the sound tech insisted that I played at through a mic'd amp. Even when I went direct into FOH I still needed to thicken it up. It didn't matter what anyone said about how much they "hated" chorus they always wanted me to use it whether they wanted to admit it or not.

nickmsmith likes this.
  13. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, I got really tired of that, too. Just as fad-driven as secular music, but they won’t admit that.

Believer7713 and dirocyn like this.
  14. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I use my old Boss CE-2 occasionally. Only on 1 song in our set when playing out live. At home, I occasionally use it for playing some classic 80's stuff. The Smiths, The Cure etc...
    Recently I bought a cheap clone of the Electric Mistress called the Mooer E-Lady. The EM is kind of a unique pedal sound. Kind of more a Flanger with a touch of Chorus mixed in. It captures that Andy Summers of the Police sound really well. And that "other" guitarist too. ; - )

15. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I've never owned a chorus pedal. It's an effect built in to one of my amplifiers, fender Princeton chorus. I don't use it much. It's not a bad sound, but it's not what I want.

16. Stratattack72

Stratattack72 Strat-O-Master

Well for me it has come from going to dances where the guitar player uses far too much and it's always on . Very annoying ! I've used it for a few songs. "Cold Shot" By SRV you kind of need it for it sound right and there was another song a fellow blues guy did and I was backing him on Lead guitar it was some minor blues thing and the chorus just sounded right on it . That being said I rarely use it . I don't even have a chorus pedal anymore. To me it's flavoring for a few choice dishes .

17. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

The other thing that really set me off with it was how as instrumentalists we were expected to sound as refined as the recordings with only one real rehearsal and on run through before actually leading it. The singers didn't have to though. That there really wasn't much room for any kind of individuality for the instrumentalists got on my nerves, it wasn't the reason that I quit playing with them. I won't go into that on the public forum though.

Ebidis and nickmsmith like this.
  18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

Totally understand you there.

Ebidis likes this.
  19. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-O-Master

Ha one of my favorite amps is my Fender Ultimate Chorus 2 X 12. It's chorus is as good or better than most pedals. A little of that amps awesome reverb with my DD-8 delay will put you straight into James Wilsey territory. Good stuff..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  20. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-O-Master

OT. I’ve played with several church groups. Mostly because my job took me to long term temporary locations, and the church I went to needed a player. And I’d volunteer until they could find one....so everyone knew they got with me was what I had, and not some highly polished can play anything player.
    In any event the only church band I quit on wasn’t over music, or even any band issues. It had to do with the direction of the church.

On topic. To thicken the sound my director is fine with loads of reverb and multiple delays, but not so much with chorus. However, by the time I’m done with all that, the sound could be more easily achieved with a chorus pedal.

nickmsmith likes this.