Why the hate on chorus pedals?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by grritz, Jul 19, 2020.

Chorus pedal: How much do you use one?

1. I often use a chorus pedal

25.0%
  2. I sometimes use a chorus pedal

21.3%
  3. I occasionally use a chorus pedal

17.6%
  4. I rarely use a chorus pedal

12.5%
  5. I never use a chorus pedal

23.5%
  1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

This is the actual reason that I quit that church. I just got tired of how the expectation of the worship music was becoming cookie cutter based. I still enjoyed playing more than I didn't enjoy the style and I really enjoyed leading people in worship. To avoid too much detail and getting people wound up I will leave it at that.

nickmsmith likes this.
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

this is the first year since age 14 (20 years) that I haven't played a day in that setting. I'd be lying if I said I missed it, TBH. No insult to the people who love it. I've got other outlets that are less drama and time/effort expenses.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Believer7713 likes this.
  3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

I don't really use chorus on my own ... but acknowledge its place in the world.

In the cover band I'm in now I have a chorus programmed into my Vox mfx for a couple patches for a few songs; Rush, Limelight & Spirit of Radio and Def Leppard, Hysteria.
    Spirit of Radio is only for the part for chorus where I also stack a Ibanez Flanger on top of the chorused sound for that signature, flanged riff.

Unless it was a mini pedal I would avoid using a dedicated chorus pedal because I don't use it very much and when I do it's pretty light so I don't need anything real sophisticated for chorus.

Stonetone likes this.
  4. Doug B

Doug B Strat-Talker

Thanks, 33db-looks like a couple of good alternatives to chorus pedals.

Cheers

5. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Cannot live without chorus on the clean channel. I have owned Boss ch1, ce3, TC Corona, Mxr Analog Chorus, Anadime Chorus, Ehx Small Clone, but surprisingly, the best chorus I've tried.... this version, a $65.00 badass. ...Bought 2...
    Screenshot_20200721-161207_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  6. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

Chorus is probably the effect i used most when I was gigging. I still use my chorus pedal almost every time I play. Especially when I play my strat. I love the sound

7. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Where the situation warrants it, I'll use a chorus but I can't say it's part of my basic sound. The only chorus pedal I've ever used is an Ibanez CS9 I've owned since about 1983. I like to use it sparingly for clean tones to add a bit of shimmer. There are probably better units out there but mine has served me well enough over the years.

Besides, how the hell else am I to play Police songs? With an overpriced and overhyped TS clone? o_O:D

Now if we're talking pedals I've never found a practical use for, it's the flanger.

Tone Deaf and Stonetone like this.
  8. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

I have a suggestion for those who have a chorus pedal but never use it.
    Following the known fact that the last pedal in any chain of stacked pedals always has the most impact on the final sound, try placing chorus in front of your overdrive/distortion box rather than near the end of the chain or in your amp's loop.
    The chorussed signal will go into the drive stage and the shimmering and phase issues you dislike will be largely masked out by the gain stage but the thickening and doubling aspect will still get through.
    This works best if you use a looper/switcher so you can engage them both simultaneously.
    Doing it this way you can turn the chorus up much higher before the warbling shows through.

It doesn't hurt to try it.

9. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

8FF6BEB1-DEEA-4DEB-A402-0BBF4E7AA0C7.jpeg

CigBurn likes this.
  10. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

leeloo.jpg

JB74 likes this.
  11. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Analog Mike has a foot in each camp...
    s-l800.jpg

heheh...

12. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

I like my chorus...

Whats wrong with chorus?!??!

Why would you hate it....

Whats wrong with you!?!?!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    JB74 and Neilena like this.
  13. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talker

A subtle chorus like Boss CH-1, on clean arpeggios is like icing on cake.

14. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talk Member

I have a CE-2 clone I use occasionally with very subtle settings to fatten up the tone on some leads. I mean subtle, as in can barely notice it. I think it can really add some texture, but I get why some people detest it. It really was overrused in the 80s.

15. briand135

briand135 Strat-Talk Member

My first chorus pedal was an EH Small Clone back in the early eighties. I couldn't believe how full it made my sound. A chorus has been part of my rig since then. My alternate rig now is a Line 6 M13 and I have a chorus programmed. My main rig is a Headrush Pedalboard and most of the rigs I've programmed have a chorus of some kind whether it's for the "Purple Rain" depth or it's just to fatten up a rig a bit. Anyone who says a chorus is overused hasn't thought about the distortion boxes they've been stomping on every song.

16. briand135

briand135 Strat-Talk Member

My first chorus pedal was an EH Small Clone back in the early eighties. I couldn't believe how full it made my sound. A chorus has been part of my rig since then. My alternate rig now is a Line 6 M13 and I have a chorus programmed. My main rig is a Headrush Pedalboard and most of the rigs I've programmed have a chorus of some kind whether it's for the "Purple Rain" depth or it's just to fatten up a rig a bit. Anyone who says a chorus is overused hasn't thought about the distortion boxes they've been stomping on every song.

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

The trick (at least for me,) is to use the chorus in stereo.
    Chorus in mono is like one hand clapping - you are hearing the single modulation wave, and it gives that seasick kind of sound.
    In stereo the waves are working together, swishing back and forth, in about of one another and sort canceling out the sound of the wave and giving the 3-D shimmer and depth.
    That's why the Trichorus setting on TC chorus sounds good - you have three chorus waves modulating in and out of one another.

The-Kid likes this.
  18. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

The chorus pedal was way overused in the 1980’s and the second you turn it on it gives you that sound.

19. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I find that a Leslie simulator is a much better yet similar effect. For me I use a Korg G4 rotating speaker simulator.

20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

That's the main knock on it. Add a gated reverb on a snare drum, and some chorus on a strat.. instant 80s.

Otherwise, it's a nice effect when used nicely.

The-Kid likes this.