Why the hate on chorus pedals?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by grritz, Jul 19, 2020.

Chorus pedal: How much do you use one?

1. I often use a chorus pedal

25.6%
  2. I sometimes use a chorus pedal

20.9%
  3. I occasionally use a chorus pedal

16.3%
  4. I rarely use a chorus pedal

12.4%
  5. I never use a chorus pedal

24.8%
  1. Neilena

Neilena Strat-Talker

Delay + a touch of chorus = the nicest overall tone for my acoustic electrics. I tried 2 Boss chorus pedals, no thanks. I have two old chorus pedals and what I like the most is that boost they provide...fattens up your sound (more resonance). Samantha Fish (good American blueswoman) was quoted in Guitar World recently as saying the same. She says you can hardly notice the effect but it is there.

2. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

I haven't really noticed any hate regarding chorus pedals, but the truth is: with the Internet anyone can post any opinion anonymously, and there are a whole lot of keyboard-heroes on the Net. Someone posts a pooted-out-the-backside opinion, someone else parrots it, and suddenly that's a "thing".

People will claim perhaps that chorus is cliche, old-hat, ancient, etc... but the same holds true for overdrive, reverb, echo and wah. Probably the closest thing to the truth is that someone had a personal dislike of chorus effect and felt his personal opinion just had to be shouted to the planet.

In these stressful days, opinion, complainers, and haters are coming out of the woodworks. Nothing wrong at all with chorus; it's just another guitar effect, there to use if one wishes to do so. As with all effects (and really, all of music and even all of life), use in moderation and judiciously. : )

Tone Deaf likes this.
  3. johne1

johne1 New Member!

I recently purchased a Keeley Dyno My Roto. Got it for its mono Rotary sound, but I'm really digging its Flanger and Tri-Chorus effects, too. The unconventional dynamic option of this pedal makes it very special and different, but never boring.

I also picked up Keeley's DynaTrem, dynamic Tremolo/reverb pedal.

The dynamic response of both of these pedals enhances your creative options from pedals with fixed settings. From the attack on the strings to the note's decay, the speed or depth of the effect can change, based on the settings.

After decades of conventional Chorus, this is a refreshing change, in much the same way as an AutoWah pedal is from using a Wah pedal.

Keeley Service likes this.
  4. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talk Member

I have one on my pedal board. I don't use it much but I certainly don't hate it. I think it sounds best when it's subtle. To me that over-the-top dripping chorus effect can sound a little dated, especially through a clean amp. But to each his own...

5. gitapik

gitapik Strat-Talker

I think people associate the heavily overdriven chorus leads with the ‘80s, which gives it a genre specific label. Some people just don’t dig that sound. And some people used to but don’t anymore.

I personally never liked that tone. Even when it was popular. But I’ve always loved a wide spaced chorus added to clean tones. Both with and without delay.

ajb1965 likes this.
  6. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker

Hate on chorus is news to me. I have used it for years and really like the sound, but like any effect, you need to temper its use. :)

7. rbspql

rbspql Strat-Talker

I didn't know it was a hated effect. A cheap TC Electronics Afterglow chorus was the last addition to my pedalboard. Since we cover different bands and authors, my pedalboard needs be rather versatile. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought a chorus, probably, but maybe not even a compressor and a phaser.... not sure.... ;-)

8. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talk Member

I use tremelo, delay and reverb. That is plenty of modulation

9. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-Talker

My first pedal was an ibanez soundtank chorus pedal that I got with my squier strat, Ibanez practice amp, and rush dongbook. Lol

The only thing I have been able to do with it is literally nail the opening to pull me under by dream theater.

I have it in my closet on a shelf. I am saving it for one of those days when I dont have anything else to throw out during spring cleaning.

Yep, POS