Join Strat-Talk Today

Why the Stratocaster for you?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Muddslide, May 29, 2019.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Try laying your thumb along the bottom of the neck, instead of around and behind it?

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  2. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Two things that helped me on that... a contoured heel and putting the guitar on my left leg (classic style) if you play mostly seated. Then there is what Mr. Bit said.

Belexes and Andrew Wasson like this.
  3. tstone2

tstone2 Strat-Talker

Almost everything that has already been mentioned. One thing that drew me in was that the guitar is flat from the neck to the bridge. Just feels more comfortable to me. I could never get used to a tuno0matic bridge and tail piece with the bit of exposed string in between like a LP etc. Not that LP's are bad. Stratocaster just feel more comfortable for me to play and I can get any sound I want with the right pickups.

Single Malt likes this.
  4. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

hmmm. difficult to answer this is.

5. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

When I first started playing (late 70s), I was always attracted to a strat. My first electric was an old Fender Mustang (waaaaay before Cobain made them popular again) and then I went through a Les Paul knockoff before I got my first strat. It was a mid-70s model with a 3-way switch and maybe the ugliest finish Fender ever used, a mocha brown of some sort. But I fell instantly in love with it, with the neck pup, with the in-between sounds we used to shove toothpicks and stuff in the switch to get it to stay put. And the feel of the neck, maple fretboard, 7.25" radius. It somehow WAS and then fully confirmed my idea of what an electric guitar was supposed to be. How it was supposed to sound and play and feel. I had that guitar for 25 years, almost the whole time as my only electric guitar. I didn't play for a pretty long time, and had sold it. But when I got back into playing a lot again in the last few years, I tried a few other things, but kept coming back to the strat. Currently I have a Robert Cray hardtail strat (never was a tremolo guy), a roadworn tele, and an Epiphone semi-hollow with P90s. I love all of them, but there's no question the strat is my #1. We spend three months a year away from home, near one of our daughters, and I can only reasonably take one electric and my acoustic, and I always take the strat. And if I ever go back to one electric, it'll be a strat, no doubt.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  6. Relaxing at Cam

Relaxing at Cam Strat-Talker

TLDR: It feels plays and looks great.

Why I got it:
    All 5 switch positions make great clean tones, which are good for jazz.
    It's easy to work on.
    Parts are easy to find and can be cheap.
    The 9.5 radius is a good fit.

Why I keep playing it:
    It's very ergonomic.
    You don't have to do anything to it. It the year and a half I have had mine, I have only tuned and dusted it.

Just listen to it.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  7. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Strat-Talk Member

Having been an LP guy for years, I could never bond with them....Kiss, Ac/Dc, Nugent, Zep...Strats came and went..
    Joined a new band about 6 years ago and got the bug from the other Guitar player playing a Clapton strat.. just loved that sound.

Picked up a Jimmie Vaughan strat on the cheap... Put 9’s on it (has always used 10’s in the past) and 7/8 Strats later just can’t get enough...

It’s like a Swiss Army knife. So useful and FUN!!

Now the only LP that gets any significant time is the one with P-90’s. Can’t hardly stand to play on humbuckers anymore..

Yaralag, kris ford and Andrew Wasson like this.
  8. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I know what you mean about the humbucker thing. I recently put a set of SD Phat Cat, humbucker sized P90’s in my Ibanez semi-hollow body that I’ve had for 38 years. After I switched to the S/S/S Strat, the humbuckers sounded too wooly to my ears and I stopped playing it. The P90’s make me want to play it much more.

MojoFilter likes this.
  9. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Dad and my wife died a few years apart. In a way, it was a blessing that they could be terminal together and talk with shared understanding.

I still don’t have the stomach to play Dad’s guitars much either for various reasons, but I know playing them is exactly what he would have encouraged me to do.

Textele, kris ford and TepidPilot like this.
  10. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talker

Dave Gilmour...thats why.

Andrew Wasson and mapleglo like this.
  11. Gobo Fraggle

Gobo Fraggle Strat-Talker

It was a Xmas present. I'd asked for a red Gibson / Epiphone SG, and the store wouldn't accept exchanges. :mad: :p

Now I love it for the plethora of reasons already mentioned. It's my right arm, as Jeff Beck would say.

I think the neck heel is an ingenious design, whether intentional or not. Not at first, it drove me nuts. But now it keeps me from choking the neck higher up by forcing my thumb into a classical position. On the guitars I've owned with easy access necks, I often played sloppy because I wasn't forced to open up my hand.

Yaralag likes this.
  12. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I don't know, except it's just always been. It's kind of like asking me why I like women.

Yaralag and Textele like this.
  13. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

It looks good, sounds fantastic and fits my body shape

Yaralag likes this.
  14. Muddslide

Muddslide Strat-Talker

Ahh. The syntax of Yoda you have.

Yaralag and rafasounds like this.
  15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

When I was a kid learning to play, my best friend had a Gibson LP. For something different, I decided I wanted a strat. I honestly had no idea what made a strat a strat aside from looks.

As a kid I couldn't afford a strat so that didn't come until I was in my late 20's. It was then that I really dug into learning to play lead and improvise.

Since then I've honestly become more of a LP player. However, whenever I pick up my strat, it feels like home. It is very comfortable to play thanks to the contours. I like that you can get a very unique sound from a strat and I've learned how to leverage that.

When I play with my band, I play my LP. When I record, I always find myself grabbing my strat.

16. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

It’s what I hear when the guitar in my head plays...:sneaky:

Yaralag, Textele, JP68 and 4 others like this.
  17. pathrock

pathrock Strat-Talker

I can't add anything other than to me, I've never felt a neck on another guitar that seems to fit my hand better than my 04 American Strat. I've got my origina 64 Jazzmaster and several Mexican Strats. they all play nice, but the 04 American is perfect.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  18. Muddslide

Muddslide Strat-Talker

We're just the same age and I also came from punk.

When I started playing in 1977 I hadn't gotten into punk yet...was more into Zeppelin, AC/DC and such.

By 1980 though, I was really into punk, postpunk, some new wave and more experimental stuff.

By 1982 I was in a hardcore band, and I had a Tele. God it was killer. Best neck of any electric guitar I've ever put my hands around. It was a '73 with a maple baseball bat for a neck. I still miss that guitar.

But the guys in the band didn't like the sharp, brittle, trebly sound of it...wanted something thicker and heavier sounding that also looked like what guitarists in other hardcore bands were slinging.

So I traded it for a '76 SG which I never really got on with.

Still love Teles, but I keep my possessions at a bare minimum, so if there can be only one, that one is going to be a Stratocaster.

rafasounds, JP68 and Will Lefeurve like this.
  19. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

I started learning to play guitar in my mid-40's and I was looking for the most comfortable and easy to play guitar I could find. I knew I was going to have more than my share of uphill battles to try and learn to play so I didn't need to add any additional struggles with comfort and fit of my guitar.

I tried many, many guitars including multiple Strats looking for the "right one" and I came across the one in my avatar, a '14 MIM HSS Standard. It just seemed to fit me perfectly and felt natural to play compared to the many other guitars I tried. And I really liked the look of it so I was drawn to it from that perspective as well.

I have bought and sold more than a handful of guitars in the short time I have been playing but my Strat is one that is never going to be sold.

rafasounds likes this.
  20. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

I remember when sustain was the thing. Neck-through bodies, brass nuts, everything as massive as possible to sustain forever. Except - every such guitar I picked up felt and sounded like crap.

Les Pauls aren’t as extreme, and some fine music has been created on them. Some are gorgeous. I just never really found one I bonded with.

I realized I liked the more organic, vibrant feel of spring-tremolo strats (even though I rarely use the whammy bar) and ES-335-style thinlines. They just sound and feel so much sweeter, and still have plenty of sustain. Maybe it’s because I play acoustic too - dunno.

Andrew Wasson and Stratbats like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.