Join Strat-Talk Today

Wilkinson Roller Nut ala J. Beck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by roryzepdude, Feb 22, 2011.

1. roryzepdude

roryzepdude New Member!

Hey..this is my 1st post, so here goes!

I've got a 1996 Surf Green Beck Strat, that has a LSR roller nut on it.

The LSR works ok I guess...
    But what I'm after, and can't seem to find is an old school Wilkinson roller nut?....
    They used to be standard issue on the Strat Ultra, and Plus models, and I see "The Master", Jeff Beck still to this day has them installed on his Strats.

Either Jeff has bought up all of the remaining ones, or I need a little help in my quest?
    Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

2. Stratistic

Stratistic Strat-Talker

From what I've read he has a stash of them.

3. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

the reason that fender went to the lsr nut was that the wilkinson roller nut gives the average player lots of problems. when set up properly, they work wonderfully, but most people can't set them up. so, the only reason that you want a wilkinson nut is because jb uses them?

4. flyingace

flyingace Strat-O-Master

I use an LSR on one of my guitars. It works flawlessly and i've never had a single problem with it. That guitar goes out of tune less than any I own and I use the Trem fairly extensively, as well as lots of 2 1/2 note bends ala David Gilmour songs. I hated paying $40 for it and I looked for the Wilkinson model, too, without finding one in 2008.

I say keep the LSR and not worry about vanity!

5. khan

khan Strat-O-Master

Here's a question sort of in line with this thread. Once you go with one of these roller nuts, can you go back to a regular nut? I know you have to "open up" the nut slot a bit to fit the roller nuts. Does that preclude you from going back to a standard nut?

Thanks and sorry for the hijack.

6. flyingace

flyingace Strat-O-Master

Yup, once you go LSR you never go back :)

You have to cut into the fretboard a little. I ended up installing the LSR after the wood towards the tuners sheered right off while removing the original nut on my 1997 deluxe players neck. Someone must have superglued the nut in and when I tapped with the punch to dislodge it, the wood just popped off right down the truss rod, so I just milled it down flat, cut in on the fret board the additional amount spec'd by the LSR instructions and used the extra little plastic plate that comes with the LSR to cover the forward portion of the neck (it's made to replace the wilkinson or floyd rose slot).
    I didn't have to shim or make any other adjustments and my intonation is dead on!

7. khan

khan Strat-O-Master

Thanks, flyingace! I kind of figured/assumed that, since I'd be expanding the slot but wanted confirmation. I use graphite now and don't have to many issue with tuning...with a decent amount of tremelo contorting. Good to know if it does become an issue and I decide to change the nut.

8. michaell

michaell Senior Stratmaster

I have 2 Strats with LSRs . never a problem

If yours works, why would you want to change it?

9. dugums

dugums Strat-Talker

I sold my stash of the original Wilkinson nuts of which I had a few (they were the original split ones where the top 3 strings stay on top) - I got $150/each for them because they simply can't be found. This type of nut worked way better for me than the new LSR (although the LSR has the benefit of accepting a wide range of string gauges). I had a few strat pluses I sold with those nuts as well and have one more neck I'll be selling shortly.

If you get the guitar set up properly - it's the best nut imaginable for heavy tremolo use.

10. Stratistic

Stratistic Strat-Talker

Just out of curiosity, what were the string size restrictions of the Wilkinson's?

11. dugums

dugums Strat-Talker

The had a 10-46 model and a 9-? model. I think 10-46 was the most common. I could squeeze standard 11's on some of them if they had a bit of play or I did some careful filing. But anything heavier or lighter just wouldn't work. Most of the problems came on the low E, b and high e strings - you'd just get rattle or sitar sound that was unfixable. But, if you had the right gauge and got it set up well, it was just a perfect nut - sounded great and, in combination with locking tuners and a great trem, never lost tune - I mean NEVER.

I tried to switch to the LSR and it wasn't terrible, but I found graphite/lube solution worked better for heavy trem use than the LSR.

12. roryzepdude

roryzepdude New Member!

Nah...my Wilkinson quest is not based on Beck worship...I've seen him live twice, and he used the same Strat for 2 hours each show, without switching guitars, and was giving them some crazy wang bar wrangling..damned if he wasn't ALWAYS right in tune???...ther's gotta be something to Jeff's affinity for the Wilkinson nut!.....

13. roryzepdude

roryzepdude New Member!

Thanks for the info...I just can't get along with the LSR....as someone else has posted..a good bone nut, properly set up would work just as well, i think....

14. roryzepdude

roryzepdude New Member!

If vanity=staying in tune?, then I'm one vain m.f.....

15. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

i have a strat with a graphtech nut and it holds a tune forever

16. Robmack

Robmack New Member!

I can't believe no one has woken up to the fact that the old Wilkinson Nuts are far more superior for getting those real high harmonics that Jeff Beck looks for like around the 2nd & 3rd fret & many other hard to get ones, I've tried all the nuts & i was very dissapointed with the LSRs, there is just not enough downward pressure on the strings, the Wilkinson's second roller is very close to the first roller for max downward pressure & will give u amazing pinging ringing natural open harmonics, go for the old Wilkinson!!!!!! THAT'S why Jeff does for sure!!! Listen to Where Were You for proof........

17. straycat113

straycat113 Strat-Talk Member

This is a true story told to me by Mike Eldred head of Fenders CS. I am a huge Beck fan and had asked Mike what secret did Beck have for being able to play a whole show without a guitar change while abusing the ***** out of his bar. He told me he and another Master Builder who I can't recall at the moment were backstage watching Beck run through a sound check, after he was done and put his guitar down they asked his tech if they could checkout the guitar and he said help yourself but it is going to be totally out of tune. Well sure as ***** when they picked it up to play the guitar was totally out. So I guess we can say the guy is not human as he is such a master of the whammy he uses his ear to get the notes to reach their proper pitch.

18. wilsona

wilsona Strat-Talk Member

Now that is interesting - those harmonics are a real pain to do clean. e.g. Two Rivers minor7 natural harmonic just behind third fret....so the Wilkinson is the answer. Thank you. Now how can I get hold of one? I use eights so I'll just have to move up a size.

19. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

They are near impossible to find new. The odd time they do come up they are priced very high.

20. wilsona

wilsona Strat-Talk Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.