Will a CS NOS Strat with nitro finish wear like the vintage ones can?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TempestStrat, Sep 6, 2021.

1. TempestStrat

TempestStrat Strat-Talk Member

Okay, so whilst I've never been against other people owning relics because I don't understand why anyone would want to be a guitar ****, I've still never really been open to owning one cos I'm in the let it naturally wear camp. In saying that, the dream strat in my fantasies is a custom shop nitro Shell Pink with maple fretboard. I was only open to owning on in NOS (though it's not like I can afford one anyway) but I recently stumbled across this on Sweetwater and it makes my heart skip a little:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-journeyman-relic-super-faded-aged-shell-pink

Anyway, I was reading some relic threads and someone made the point of defending them by pointing out that because the nitro formula has changed, modern Strats and Teles won't wear like the old ones did even with nitro. My question is, is this really true? I'm pretty sure I've seen more recent examples of Gibsons and Fenders with plenty of wear.

Idk, I'm still pretty iffy on the idea of owning a relic but the guitar in that link is to me, one of the most gorgeous ones I've ever seen.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  2. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Strat-O-Master

I had a nitro Strat I played every day hoping for just any amount of playing wear. Nope, nothing. Today's Nitro is different. Maybe a "Thin Skin" nitro will wear faster, who knows.

3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

It sure will despite the “newer” type nitro. It just takes longer but it will definitely wear like a vintage guitar. I’ve had a few and still do NOS finish that has wear.

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

My 2003 Fender AV ‘52 Telecaster has a few dings and dents but no significant wear, so yeah, I think the “modern lacquer” is either purposely designed to be more durable, or, durability is an unintended side-effect of whatever formulation they’re using today...

soulman969 likes this.
  5. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

If I said yes, would you believe me?

Cerb, TN703800 and RobZ69 like this.
  6. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

While today’s nitro formulas are different, likely the biggest factor here is you, the owner. If you care enough about gear to be a member of this forum, you likely won’t subject your guitar to the type of abuse necessary to get the kind of wear we love on a vintage guitar. That comes from playing in a hot steamy club and then throwing the guitar in the trunk of your car in freezing temperatures, never wiping it down, and generally treating it with total disregard for its value. Tough to make a guitar look like Rory’s without beating the literal crap out of it for years and years.

7. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

Go in a kid playground, watch the paint, plastics, metals, woods there and you'll realize that just about everything out there is showing great looking wear despite very solid materials and long lasting finishes.

granted, this is all caused by shoes, hands, toys, sand, dirt, sun, rain etcetc

but EVERYTHING wears out.

even back then old guitars were getting PLAYED A LOT. People didn't own 10 guitars like most today and people didn't have phones, computers, video games etc to distract them from playing and gigs were way more commun. All these variables added on to the fact the finish was very thin made those guitars fade out very quickly
    but I can assure you SRV, Gallagher, Trower, Clapton and all those hundreds of other hard playing guitarist who burned out those guitars would have done the same thing to a 2021 Player series. If anything, some of those guys would have love the added sturdiness of those instruments.

theres a lot of evidence of 70s 80s 90s guitars who burned out due to playing. Grab an axe and play it.

jrbirdman likes this.
  8. Intune

I find they seem to use a few different formulas. The CS and the AV 2012-2012 I think are the same finish type. The avri series seem to have a different formula. Maybe a little thicker, poly base coat so they do wear a bit different. They should still check and chip though over time. Just not really sink into the grain like the AV and CS stuff.

Here’s a few of mine, all started out a NOS finish
    2011 CS 65 64BF43AF-B279-46B5-B6BF-45DF3531115A.jpeg 2001 CS nocaster CB35B23B-28BB-4D18-970E-BCD3C8BEE46D.jpeg 4F239272-12C0-4BD8-AD15-443894BACB99.jpeg DE266B79-41BD-4EF2-9543-B1C3DE60153C.jpeg 1982 Fullerton 57 87277221-0E0A-4AC5-B8CD-C193F58E95AC.jpeg B3D879D3-F43A-4476-A5EC-3CC5AE6F7F28.jpeg

9. fernank017

fernank017 Strat-Talk Member

The thin-skins will relic faster that's for sure. If you look at cory wong's highway 1 strats (the original production line highway 1's [number 1, number 2], not his new signature line), you can see almost identical playwear on both of them due to his unique picking technique.

The funny thing is, is that most relic'd guitars will relic even faster because the finish is much thinner and already broken. If you get one of the new MIM vintera's/MIM roadworns, it should also relic faster than the (unfortunately) discontinued MIM Classic Series Lacquer. But that's not to say that an AO or a closet classic CS won't wear. It will wear, you just need to put more effort in.

10. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

New Old Stock, ay? Yeah. Probably.
    But not if you treat it like a museum piece.

11. TempestStrat

Does the Fender CS do thinskin finishes? Couldn't see it anywhere on the ordering form.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

As Groundwire pointed out we weren't all that careful with our instruments back in the '60s because we were young and fairly ignorant about their care. Plus, most of us had only one "player" we used on every gig.

I lived in the Upper Midwest and in winters our gear sat in a trailer overnight or many times all week in between weekend gigs. Then we hauled it in, set up quickly, and played for 3-4 hours under hot lighting in a steamy room full of people.

When the gig wrapped up we may have wiped our stuff down but within half an hour or less it went right back into the cold sub zero trailer we traveled with. Finishes got checked and cracked over time and finishes wore or even peeled away.

Today's finishes are sturdier and with a few exceptions most instruments a far better cared for. So IMHO current models will not age in the same way those of 50-60 years ago did which is also why we see relics that emulate those older models.

jrbirdman and Groundwire like this.
  13. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

You can get onto the fine details of all this. Like what is fuller plast…and vinyl sealers, or the lack of lead in modern nitro…what ever.

But practically, yes it will. And it will check, and the nitro will sink into the grain, it does take time, nitro shrinks over time. And it may well take over 10 years of so to see any of this.

and no it will not wear like poly.
    As much as people want to discount modern nitro, it is still nitro.
    And poly is still poly.

14. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

This is the answer. Im not sure if/how new nitro is different, but it really comes down to the player/owner.

Groundwire likes this.
  15. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

Thin skin is more a name adopted by retailers for special orders, on the CS order form it’s ‘flash coat lacquer’.

TempestStrat likes this.
  16. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

I have a WD nitro body I got in the early 90s. Close to 15 years of hard gigging on it. After that, still gigged it, was my guitar playing around the house. I don't baby it, in fact, it is leaning up against the wall right now.

I have an old start I got used in '76. It was 16 years old then. It was WAY more worn at that point than my WD one is now. I don't know if the original owner gigged it a ton but it sure looked like it, and it is WAY more worn now.

So the WD one now probably has More gigs on it than the strat did when I got it. (I don't know for sure, but it certainly couldn't have been gigged More than the WD one).
    The WD one is in way better shape. The strat when I got it was worn through the finish down to the undercoat, where the right arm goes over. The WD one would probably look close to new, if I ever cleaned it. WAY less wear.

17. Intune

If you have 15 years hard gigging and then some and still shiny new, chances are the WD body is not nitro. Not saying your wrong but there’s no way with that much playing time and no signs of wear, that it’s nitro.

18. TempestStrat

Just discovered Wildwoods Relic Ready series. Nothing in shell pink with a maple fretboard though, not that I could afford it anyway.

19. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

I didn't say there were no signs of wear. There is quite a bit of wear on the back, and lots of dings and wear on the front. It isn't poly. I have a MIM body that is older, had a pretty rough life, and except where it is obviously chipped, it is in good shape.

What I was comparing was an old and new nitro. The old nitro, in the same amount of playing, the paint was worn down to the under coat. On old strats, they died the wood, they covered it with a sealer and sprayed the nitro over that. On the old one, the paint was worn off to the undercoat. On the new on, it isn't, not even close.
    WD was advertised as nitro, it looks and feels like nitro, it dings like nitro, but it wears a LOT slower.

Now, I also have a '60 330 and though not gigged as much, still gigged and still played a lot. Finish on it when I cleaned it up and polished it recently, looked practically new, except for some minor checking. Both the old ones are the same age,, both nitro, the Fender shows Way more wear than the Gibson.

Intune likes this.
  20. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

my Gibson LP has a nitro finish. I bought her new in 2009, she has been on the studio and stage a few dozen times.
    I can barely see any wear on the finish. I am from the post "smoky bar" era though. I don't think I ever played on a stage full of cigarette smoke, 99.9999% humidity and stuff

I've had a '61 RI strat with a nitro finish for about 5 years, I played some good couple of hundred hours with her. Still not much of a visible wear on her either by the time I sold her.

upload_2021-9-10_16-5-1.png

upload_2021-9-10_16-8-17.png