Join Strat-Talk Today

Will any 11-hole pickguard fit my Squier Strat?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by GeorgeF4783, May 26, 2014.

1. GeorgeF4783

GeorgeF4783 Strat-Talk Member

I plan on buying a new pickguard for my Strat. It is a Squier Standard Stratocaster, black and white, with maple fingerboard. Will any 11-hole pickguard fit my guitar?

2. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

There are at least 2 different 11-hole patterns, one for the '62 style with a screw hole
    more or less centered between the neck and middle pickups on the top edge, and the other with that screw hole moved further towards the middle pickup.
    That's really not a big deal, but i seem to recall hearing something about Squiers having
    a slightly different sized pickup also. That might cause some problems with fitment if you're only swapping out the scratchplate and not the pickups also.
    Can't recall where i heard that, though.

3. GeorgeF4783

I will swap out the current pickups with some SD's, but not right now ( I cannot aford them now). Should I wait until I'll have enough money to buy all of these? This is exactly how my guitar looks.

Attached Files:

4. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

A Fender one, no.

Other brands..? Can't say?

If it it were a Classic Vibe, however, then an American Fender pickguard (not AVRI) would fit directly on without any mods.

5. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Senior Stratmaster

Best of luck, it is usually hit or miss with PG's.

6. skinnyass

skinnyass Strat-Talk Member

Last December I installed a white perloid pickguard and trem cover on my 2000 IC Strat. Like the original, the Chinese copy ($10.50 vs. $50 for Fender) had 11 holes, none of which matched the guitar top. I tip-sanded 11 round toothpicks for a good dry fit, glued them in with Titebond®, let it set overnight, and trimmed them flush with a single edge blade (no sanding of guitar top). The 6-screw trem cover—ditto. I think somebody once said (and, so far, my experience has shown) that Affinity Strats had no “gold standard” for pickguard (or trem cover) hole placement. I just ordered another Chinese pickguard & tremcover for my ‘04 IC. In late June I will let you know if I DO NOT have to repeat this 34-hole fitting process.

7. GeorgeF4783

Do you know by any chace how can I know that the pickguard will fit my Strat? Amyway, thanks alot for the tips! :)

8. Rockape

Based on past comments on retrofitting Squier Standard pickguards, it is going to be a bit hit and miss (as already stated), because they follow there own screw pattern.
    They come close to a normal fit, but owners have found they had to re-drill here and there.

I am talking of pre 2008 models btw, so you may be in luck if it is newer than that.
    It was said that Fender had made all Squier and Fender parts interchangable after 2007.... If I remember correctly that is?

I would remove your pickguard and take it to the store to compare (edit..doh!)

If that is possible.

9. skinnyass

skinnyass Strat-Talk Member

No gold standard

It will only fit if you fit it. It took me 2-3 hours over as many days, working slowly and carefully, but my results gave me a custom shop product at a fraction of the cost.

JD Schultz Sr

10. STRAT'71

STRAT'71 Senior Stratmaster

11. GeorgeF4783

By the series written on the back of my guitar's neck, it is made in Indonesia, in 2007, so I guess it won't fit easily any pickguard :( thanks for your help!

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

I got a Warmoth replacement PG (Fender Specs) for my Black/Maple 2007 Squier standard - and all 11 holes lined up perfectly!

13. Rockape

Result!

:)

14. USAF Retired

USAF Retired Strat-Talker

Just to echo this - I've bought 3 pickguards from Warmoth for 3 different Squires and each of them have fit perfectly. I recommend them.

15. stratos

stratos Strat-Talker

I changed the pick guard on my 2013 Squier Deluxe and it fit perfectly. I got the new one from Fender. The white pearloid on Daphne blue looks
    awesome

16. DesecrationSmle

DesecrationSmle Strat-Talker

My Fender white parchment one on mine lined up perfectly except for the last hole on the lower horn. It was literally far enough off that I had to dowel and redrill. No biggie. Still turned out awesome. I keep hearing that newer Affinity models have holes that line up better. Mine is a 2011, I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.