Join Strat-Talk Today

Will buying new pickups improve sound of my guitar?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by FafaOG, Oct 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

If vintage tone is what you're looking for, squier ceramic pickups are a weak link. Recording without an amp is another. On a small budget I'd get an amp first. Then adjust the pickup height. Then 250k pots. Only after that would I consider pickups.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

All of you are falling right down the rabbit hole but not addressing that most of the time, the LINE inputs in recording interfaces does not work well with a passive guitar signal. OP was specifically asking about sounding good through the interface and a sim. That was the question. Not whether he need to remodel the kitchen.

Nate D, amstratnut and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

Your electric guitar is connected through a cable to something....that something is your sound...is it an amp,a rack unit? a software sim through a soundcard,a multieffects unit?Whatever it is thats your sound.....i dont care if your guitar costs 100 or 10000 bucks...if you wanna change your sound(apart from your playing skills of course) you should change that......your pickups are responsible for a very small percentage of the overall result...if you want clarity and added responsiveness to your playing you go with the low-medium gain pickups orelse you go for something more...thats about it...

In your case i would first purchase quality impulse responses for my amp sims as they make huge difference to the overall sound and test some way better sims like kuassas amp sims or the mercuriall amp sims....pretty damn excellent bedroom sound for very little money.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Cerb likes this.
  4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

For me, I've found the best way to improve the sound of my guitar is to practice more :sneaky:

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

He didn’t say the interface was the problem, just that he doesn’t like the way the guitar sounds.

At the very least, we (as in all of us helpful types here at S-T) can only provide generalized suggestions since its difficult to know what exactly the OP finds so lacking in their sound...

6. marcjoe

marcjoe Strat-Talk Member

A decent interface should hopefully have an high-z input specifically for guitars. I have a 700€ RME Audio Interface and to me guitar rig 5 still never sounded good.

7. Dadocaster

And I am saying that in most cases the interface IS the problem and that he can change whatever he wants and it still may not sound good.

amstratnut likes this.
  8. AxemanVR

Perhaps you’re correct, but that’s just as speculative as anything else mentioned here.

But I agree, if you are familiar with that specific interface then that's certainly a good place to start in providing some helpful advice for the poor lad though...

9. Dadocaster

You do not have a decent interface you have a very high quality interface.

Would someone technical please give some info on "Input Impedance" and the fact that HIGH Z does not mean that an input is optimal for an electric guitar with passive pickups?

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

You're right, we don't know what the clean sound of the guitar into the computer through the Behringer interface sounds like, or the sound that the OP wants to come out of Guitar Rig 5 is. Chances are that 90% of the problem is there, not in the pickups. I play all kinds of pickups, some even cheaper than those in a Squier Bullet, some definitely not, they all have sweet spots. I never managed any sound I liked out of Guitar Rig 5, no matter how I tried.

Cerb likes this.
  11. AxemanVR

`
    So, trying something other than Guitar Rig 5 may be the answer?

The only device I'e ever plugged directly into with good results was a stand alone digital recorder by ZOOM, the PS-02, which I have had excellent results using (despite being less than intuitive to use):

untitled.JPG

...so It's somewhat difficult for me to believe that (in this day and age) the stuff currently available can be so terrible, but I suppose it's possible...

`

`

`

12. Dadocaster

I try to stay out of these discussions due to lack of technical expertise. This particular interface presents 1MΩ on the high Z in, which is pretty standard. This would tend to indicate that it will be fine for electric guitar. In the past there were a lot of devices that had input impedance that was far to low for a guitar to sound good. That's about as far as I can go on this subject and I brought it up due to having had some really poor sounds direct to an interface.

Cerb and AxemanVR like this.
  13. Thrup'ny Bit

That's where I'd start. Even a Line 6 Pocket Pod $40 used from EBay will probably sound better.

marcjoe likes this.
  14. Thrup'ny Bit

It ain't necessarily what you do, but the way that you do it...

Guitar parts for this were recorded from the headphone outs of a Micro-Cube and a Pocket Pod, it's all I had at the time.

AxemanVR likes this.
  15. marcjoe

marcjoe Strat-Talk Member

I'm honest if I have to say that I'm not overly technical if it comes to recording stuff. As RME has a really good reputation with the audio quality of their interfaces and the Babyface has a designated input for electric guitars (there's even a small guitar pictured there) I am just assuming that the input is qualified for doing it's job more than good.

Anyway, my point was also that I would try to use a different software than guitar rig 5.

amstratnut likes this.
  16. Dadocaster

The OP is using a very modestly priced interface which is one of the reasons I felt compelled to speak.

It's good that we agree on the quality of the RME gear and the further point that I can't afford one. :D

marcjoe and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. guitarjack

guitarjack Strat-Talker

Yeah but that's subjective. There are loads of youtubers using guitar rig 5 that have nice tone. (see chris buck and guitar pilgrim). I personally did not like guitar rig and amplitube. Bias fx was alright for me. But then again, who says the op would like bias fx? Modelling software is also a tough nut to crack. You need to get to know them to dial in a usable tone.

But more importantly how is OP monitoring his sound? Studio monitors or headphones? If he has 60 dollar speakers or consumer grade headphones that could bottleneck his sound as well.

@FafaOG if you want a decent amp, I can highly recommend a boss katana or yamaha thr series amp. Obviously try to get them used. After that, maybe upgrade pickups to tried and true ones (i.e. tex mex) and you should be good.

18. Dadocaster

For metal there are a lot of free amp sims that sound better than many of the more famous ones.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Of course it's subjective, which is why I wrote this in an earlier post:

And I have used a Katana for all my recordings for the last three years, but know people that can't get a sound they like out of one. It's nothing that makes them want to change their pickups though.

20. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

I have been able to 'milk' out a good sound even with a crappy guitar and amp. There's always a setting that sounds good if you work on it. My experience when all my stuff was ripped off and all I had was the old 'junk' hanging around. Changing pickups is an experiment, sometimes you get lucky.

amstratnut, tery and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.