Will Live Shows Return in 2021?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Hydr0, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

I hope so! It seems we are a step closer, some very positive news on a vaccine trial today, test results beat expectations. This morning, equity and oil markets are up big based on the news. Could the world eventually return to normal next year? Seems there might be a flicker light appearing at the end of this dark tunnel we've been traveling through. :)

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-r...d-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

2. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

Yep vaccine will get us back towards normal.
    ...until the next virus!

Stratafied and Hydr0 like this.
  3. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

Hopefully, we learned from this one and we'll be better prepared for the next one.

4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Yes, the recent announcements ensured everything be ok now. It was all a bad dream.

circles, Stonetone and Hydr0 like this.
  5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

6. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

still a long way to go, but i'll take the positive developments as they happen, let's hope the course continues

Anacharsis, Mike Furlong and GuitLoop like this.
  7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Ignore the man behind the curtain...

Robert Graf, Hydr0, JJ119 and 2 others like this.
  9. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

Don’t know about the rest of the world, but here in the US, gut feeling is only very tiny gigs and only in certain places. I talked with another large sound company and his feelings were the same as mine - sound needs will return very slowly, and not for bands. We both feel it’s going to be a couple years to see any resemblance to people being able to go to a concert. I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

The following is NOT a political statement. It’s just the reality that our future leaders want a national mask mandate, and I’m pretty sure that will include social distancing to go with it. If that’s the case, how are concerts going to work? My wife told me yesterday that she heard somewhere that major artists are not booking 2021, they’re booking 2022. Nice. Thank you COVID.

Hydr0, Morf2540 and nickmsmith like this.
  10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Yep.. Things are not remotely under control, yet. I doubt there will be serious consideration about bringing huge gatherings back, until they have this on its last leg. And that's the only sensible option. Things are spreading from Weddings of 100 people, crowds of thousands could be very bad.

And I've done music for weddings this year. Once dinner ends, not a single one of them have had the majority wear masks after that. People aren't taking it seriously. I'm being as safe as possible, while still honoring my commitments that were made a year prior.

I'm still gigging in small events of 100 or less with guitar, too. But people are acting more sensibly in these. Keeping their distance better.

11. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I suspect a combination of rolling out a vaccine and hopefully an increase in coordination to get better testing and contact tracing and, dare I say it, more universal mask wearing, will allow small indoor gigs to start up sometime by mid-year. I doubt much sooner because it's gonna take a good long time to roll all of this stuff out. But big indoor concerts, I think those are the last things to come back. Those are the super-spreaders and I think the virus will have to be WELL under control before those come back and things get pretty much back to whatever "normal" is gonna look like.

Mansonienne, dante1963, Hydr0 and 2 others like this.
  12. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

My guess is next summer at the soonest.

Hydr0 and Triple Jim like this.
  13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I agree that's the soonest we can hope for. We've made it over half a year now, so we should be able to hang on as long as we need to.

Hydr0 likes this.
  14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Assuming that there are any venues left by the time this is all over, or it might just be listening to each other busking to earn a crust...

Hydr0 likes this.
  15. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

There has been live shows the whole COVID around here.

Hydr0 and Grux like this.
  16. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I'm glad I don't need to make a living that way. Still, it sucks to be grounded for this long, especially having invested so much time and money getting a band off the ground. Oh well, everyone I know is healthy so count your blessings. I had some excavating done in my yard this weekend. The guy who did it said his regular job is doing lighting for concerts and performing arts productions. He's been out of work since March. So he is living off side hustles, like renting out his backhoe on Craigslist, and doing odd jobs. I gave him a pretty big tip.

Hydr0, riplead and Deafsoundguy like this.
  17. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Probably not.
    It's gonna take time, a lot of time, to immunize the population...of earth. Absent that, the effect of any vaccine is tenuous.

And, despite the encouraging news this morning, there isn't a vaccine yet.

Let me put it this way: I wouldn't work a show in a contagious environment. I don't know many who would.

dante1963 and Hydr0 like this.
  18. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

We need to continue to figure out safe ways to do things. Drive in shows, like drive in movies could work but again, it's a matter of whether people can manage to act responsibly. Live streams and such can work too, and in some ways may be superior to regular venues/concerts.

The thing that is the problem is that we all grew up with the idea that when you go see music, you can act as insanely as you like. Drink what you want, smoke what you want, get sweaty in a pit of your equally sweaty bros, look for someone of the opposite sex who has the same tattoos and is at least as drunk...

Pretty hard to have a safe concert when people are used to that.

velvet_man and Hydr0 like this.
  19. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

Hydr0 likes this.
  20. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

hg.JPG

bassworx and Hydr0 like this.