Join Strat-Talk Today

Will Polar White Fender Player series eventually turn into cream-colour?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by donthecon, Oct 12, 2019.

Will Polar White polyester finish turn cream-ish in sunlight and occasional smoke?

1. Yes, at some point :)

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No chance, buddy!

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. donthecon

donthecon New Member!

Hi everyone, this is my first post (and my first Strat-purchase), so please bear with me!

I am considering buying a Fender Player Stratocaster in Polar White (with the maple fretboard), which is about as white as they come, hoping it will turn into a cream color at some point, because I don't want to spend loads on the american model which has the olympic white color-option, and neither do I want to risk the look of the otherwise beautiful strat by messing up the finish with my amateur spray-paint skills.

So my question is: Will a Fender Player Strat in PW eventually turn in to anything near the slightly more cream-colored Arctic White or Olympic White, if left in a sunny spot year-round and in occasional smoke (room with medium-to-heavy smoke one or two hours a-week)?

I don't need it to be a quick fix, I don't mind waiting a couple of decades, just want to know if it is ever going to happen?

(I know that polyester finish is super durable and is nothing like the nitrocellulose finish, which yellows naturally because of degradation, and also that the poly finish they use nowadays are UV-resistant to some degree)

Thank you for your help in advance :)

Namelyguitar likes this.
  2. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

Hey, welcome!

I don’t think the paint will fade much, and if so it’ll be a couple decades before it looks like cream—even in the conditions you described with sunlight and smoke. I picked up a ‘93 polar white MiM Strat in the early 00’s that had lived for a decade in those exact conditions and it was definitely whiter than my classic series 70’s in Olympic White.

Do you just want a creamier white? The player series has a Buttercream color, which is super creamy, almost yellowed. I kinda want one myself, with a dark Pao Ferro board and a mint green guard!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    donthecon likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Give it twenty years.

donthecon likes this.
  4. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

This 89 was quite white when i got it but now 30 years later it's more like olympic white i think
    DSC_0258.JPG

circles, donthecon and rafasounds like this.
  5. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Polar White is bullet proof .

donthecon likes this.
  6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

most of the Polys, both 'esters and Urethanes are far more resistant to the effects of UV light than the old Nitros. AND a lot of the modern formulations of Nitros and about everything else have UF inhibitors in 'em to resist the change int he color over time...

rk

7. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

It might get sliiiiiiiiiiiightly more close to parchment, but I've seen lots of 10, 15 year old Arctic whites that didn't change a bit, at least to my eyes. I'd say that Olympic white is indeed a different color.

donthecon likes this.
  8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

It will yellow. Here's a 2018 Fender American Special that only gets indirect sunlight.

[​IMG]

arcticstrat, circles and donthecon like this.
  9. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

My 2003 arctic white turned cream, I also gigged with that guitar almost exclusively for 10 years too... lots of outdoor gigs and smoke factor in...

Namelyguitar and donthecon like this.
  10. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Paint formulas change every few years, so past performance is not indicative of future performance.

TinyTree, Neil.C, circles and 2 others like this.
  11. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

maybe long after you're gone...

donthecon likes this.
  12. donthecon

donthecon New Member!

I am loving this forum already, thank you all for your replies!

@Funk McNasty I have seen the buttercream and although I think its nice, I just think its too yellow for my taste. All I'm looking for, is the body to look like an olympic white at most, or the arctic white found on the previous MIM models! Would you mind posting a pic of your MIM next to your olympic white classic 70s?

@SlyStrat thank you for posting a pic, helps a lot! Is it really only from 2018??

@MagnusR That looks beautiful, just the way I like it!

@Ash-Man awesome, can you post a pic?

Everyone else; thank you for your time and answers, it is all very appreciated! Is there perhaps another way to make the polar white turn a little bit more olympic white-ish? Or is it the highway (sanding everything off and start from scratch)?

Namelyguitar and MagnusR like this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Subject to our terms and conditions of business, please ask the bill payer before applying, credit subject to status, playing excessive guitar may damage your health, best before date see end of carton, other makes of Polar White guitars are available, don’t piss into the wind, don’t eat yellow snow.................sorry, lost it for a sec. there!

donthecon and vid1900 like this.
  14. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Depends on the clear coat.

That is what darkens the white to cream.

donthecon likes this.
  15. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Will it be stored in a closed case, or perhaps placed on a stand with bright sunlight streaming through a large window in the room, or a combination of the two? ;)

BTW, my Arctic White Tele has turned!

donthecon likes this.
  16. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

Unfortunately I sold the old polar white Strat years ago, and do not have any immediately accessible pics of the two guitars side by side for the comparison. I also recently stripped and sold the body of that Olympic White 70’s MiM, but here are some shots of the body. You can even see it’s aged slightly from the shade behind the guard, but this is an ‘05 body, so it does take a while! If you am just want your arctic white Strat to age well, it will!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arcticstrat and donthecon like this.
  17. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

If you've got a stripper girlfriend (or boyfriend), have them take the guitar into the tanning bed for some heavy UV exposure.

Just like a stripper, the UV accelerates aging by a factor of 10x

Sun-Safety_feature_image.jpg

donthecon, Syd Vega and Ash-Man like this.
  18. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

I have a ‘93 arctic white 50th anniv. Am. Std. that’s turned creamier looking naturally over the years, just from the passing of time I guess. It’s never been exposed to sunlight much, but has been gigged. Purposely exposing a nice musical instrument to sunlight for extended periods just doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t get it. But, whatever turns a person on.

donthecon and RadioFM74 like this.
  19. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

Never been a fan of the outdoor gig. Too many disasters to talk about have happened, but I go where the music takes me! :whistling:

donthecon likes this.
  20. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

My 2017 Olympic White Strat has darkened to a more creamy off white in short order. It's not I full view of a window either and doesn't leave my house.

arcticstrat and donthecon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.