Windows10 update claims another victim

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, May 18, 2020.

1. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

proxy-image (4).gif

circles likes this.
  2. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

If the computer is not recognizing any drives it is very unlikely Windows is the problem. More likely is a hardware failure.

3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Buzzgrowl and IsaiasO like this.
  4. Baelzebub

It's malware and spyware all in one!

jvin248 and Stratafied like this.
  5. Baelzebub

Last laptop I bought had Win 10. I brought it home, wiped it, then used the Win7 64 bit Pro registration from my old laptop to install a clean, no bloatware.Win7 64 bit Pro. Did some routine searches for driver updates and such. Runs great..no issues. No updates. Every other machine has linux.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

W10 is one of the worst products I've purchased ever. This Surface Pro is equally bad.

Stratafied likes this.
  7. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

My hp laptop freezes up every other day with windows 10 . I sometimes wonder about skipping their updates.

8. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

Been running W10 since it was in Beta. Only problem I had was it didn't recognize an ancient Sound Blaster card I was running. Otherwise, its been flawless. Best advice was to backtrack, unplug other drives and see if it recognizes the main drive. Check your BIOS or UEFI settings for boot order. Boot from a W10 install disc, use the "repair my computer" option to get to the different troubleshooter options.

CB91710 likes this.
  9. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Strat-Talker Silver Member

This.

You should be able to remove the drives from the failed computer and use a "usb HDD dock" to retrieve any valuable data with another computer. I believe your drives are fine since what you describe sounds like a hardware component failure.

10. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Strat-Talker Silver Member

You cannot turn off automatic updates in Windows 10, it's part of "the deal" for being blessed with the opportunity to "borrow" their valuable software...

CB91710 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

After paying for a legit Windows 10 license, I want to be able to use MY PC like I want to. I've thought about switching to Linux eventually (I've used Linux for a long time for various things, and my current favorite distro is Linux Mint). But there are some programs I use that aren't available for Linux.

12. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

While I hate windows 10, my Surface Pro 2 running 8.2 is the greatest ever. I’m curious why you think it’s bad. As long as my Pro 2 is alive I will never want another computer for what I do. Perhaps yours running W10 is the problem? Mine boots up in a few seconds gives me no problems 99% of the time. Automatically splits screen to look at attachments which is my favorite feature... and they make the “upgrade” to 10 not able to do that? WTF?

13. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You actually can, it’s pretty easy, i do it.
    When it’s not the middle of the night I can look for the exact details. But ‘RUN’ “msconfig” and deactivate auto update, then go in your internet connection and st it as a “metered” connection (needs to be wifi and not hard wired), the metered connection will prevent windows from using your internet data to download it’s update

14. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

SSDs have a life-span. They can only be over-written so many times. Is it possible the drive has reached its capacity for over-writes???

15. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

16. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I switched from Linux to Win10 via the free download. I did subscribe to Office 365, so that represents a bit of cash outlay, but realistically, I've gotten far more for less money than anything I paid for in the 80's.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I installed Windows 10 for free on Sunday. Put it on an Windows 8.1 machine that was struggling even to boot, now it's running as fast as it should be and working great.

GuitLoop and wrvond like this.
  18. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

IMHO.. Given the vast variety of different hardware combination potentials that a PC presents, Windows as an OS is pretty dang remarkable. From CPU to GPU to on-board controllers and chipsets, memory types and combinations, not to even mention brands. the permutations are nearly endless. That the OS can in the vast majority of cases traverse that landscape seamlessly is a feat.

Toss in driver implementation compatibility/quality across any number of 3rd party vendors and its even more remarkable.

wrvond and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

+1 seek out Linux solutions. https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
    Ubuntu was popular for years, then Mint, and lately MX Linux is topping the charts (it's also super easy as a first Linux intro operating system).

At a minimum, get a bootable copy on a flash drive or burned to DVD so that when your Windows system crashes again (it will) you can boot up the Linux system to pull off your data.

Backup data on a secondary device to protect yourself too.

And if you are just running the machine as a network file server, there are better options for that anyway:

FreeNAS https://www.freenas.org/
    OpenMediaVault https://www.openmediavault.org/

Then you can set up drives in parallel RAID so even a hardware disk drive failure safeguards your files. A decade old desktop tower works great for that task. It doesn't need a monitor after initial setup as you do all management across your network. It's like having a local 'cloud'.

As for Office tasks: LibreOffice https://www.libreoffice.org/ (it will read/save in MSOffice formats, and MSOffice can save in open document formats, and LO can save direct to PDF which you'll want anyway for transferring most documents).

20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

That was my solution almost exactly 20 years ago, first with Red Hat, and later with Fedora. All the computers here have run Linux since then. Once you get away from Microsoft for a while, you really don't miss it. :)

Deafsoundguy likes this.