Windows10 update claims another victim

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, May 18, 2020.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

They won’t be now you’ve said that!

wrvond likes this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

No, that's not an old guy thing.

See, this is an old guy thing. Before Mr Gates even stole them...

Deafsoundguy and Cerb like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Ah, to be sure, isn't that where we all lost our marbles?

Robins and Cerb like this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

I don't "think" its bad. Its bad. It freezes, it looses wireless connectivity, Edge isn't compatible with apps and formats, refresh rates are on the order of 1990's performance, screen goes blank, I have to reboot to reset, its slower in about every way except boot up, than my 14 year old Dell, etc. But, it is much quieter, doesn't generate heat, and looks cool.

5. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

Weird.. well sounds like it’s messed up :confused:! Just sayin.. mine works perfect none of the symptoms you’re describing. There’s a bad one of everything out there, sounds like you got a lemon.

6. Musekatcher

I took the first one back, waited a year, bought another. I decided its a lost cause. Consumers are conditioned to mediocrity.

7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

My three desktops and two laptops running win 10 have never had an issue Neither do our computers at work. The issue is yours.

8. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I'm another that has Win 10 running flawlessly at home and work. No issues and I would even say it's the best since Win XP SP3.

9. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

People use what they like, if a windows machine works flawlessly for someone they'll be happy. If it doesn't and they move to a different OS/machine and are happy, well thats just the nature of things. But like makes of automobiles, in the end they all break or end up obsolete. Tech marches on and mostly from the day you bring a machine home you are either waiting for whatever comes next. Heck even stuff as basic as RAM ends up obsolete at some point. Try taking your ram from a ten year old machine and seeing what it will still work in thats built recently.. Not much. Same for graphics systems and most other parts of comps.

Same as I know guys who will only own chevy or ford, I know people who are the same way about Macs or PCs or Linux or windows ad infinitum. The silliness in bashing (other than in jest) what someone else uses based on ones own good/bad experience is nearly absurd.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  10. Lankytwang

Lankytwang Strat-O-Master

I have 2 desktops and an android tablet. The main d/top runs win 10. The other Win7..both work OK The fact that win 7 isn't supported now doesn't bother me,it's in my workroom where I build my model aircraft and I only use it for music on YouTube.That said I sometimes have probs reading the script on my tablet when I can't expand it so am thinking of buying a laptop with a bigger screen..My daughter and granddaughter area trying to persuade me to buy a Mac..

11. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit!

UPDATE. The win 10 crippled pc is back up and running after I did absolutely nothing. For some reason, this morning I thought why not and I hit the power button and it booted perfectly . it has been running flawlessly all day so I guess it just needed a little vacation. I love it when eletronic items just"heal" all on their own. Happy guy here because it is so much faster than the cheap laptop that was filling in for it with several times the memory as well...no more waiting. the last week felt like the 90s. The digital middle ages!:mad:

Robins, CigBurn and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  12. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Excellent news! Reminds me of.....

Image1.jpg

13. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Dealing with Surface books on an enterprise scale is ridiculous. Microsoft does not know how to make hardware, themselves, and the incompatibility with standards is infuriating. My team is upgrading computers by the thousands and we have to handle Surface books by exception.

14. Musekatcher

Correct. The average consumer household doesn't realize what's happened. I work for one of the largest companies in the world, lived the whole Vax, Unix, PC and Apple thing, watching the whole revolution unfold on my desks. It went from difficult, to great, to mediocre. The home market went from great to dismal. Reverse technology comes to mind..

15. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Strat-Talker Silver Member

I've seen this behavior sometimes as a result of a couple different issues. Sometimes a Windows update will get "stuck in its craw" or the update may get interrupted. Windows 10 is much better at recovering from this than some of the earlier versions, but it can still rear its ugly head again when it attempts to reapply the problematic update.

I have also seen similar behavior when a hardware component is starting to fail, especially memory. One failing stick of memory can fail intermittently at first causing the symptoms you are seeing. Older computers can even have capacitors on the mainboard start to fail to the point that the failure is physically/visually obvious when the tops of the capacitors start to swell/bulge and eventually they can even start to leak.

A failing hard drive can cause problems preventing Windows from booting up properly too. The mechanical hard drives are more prone to this type of problem since Windows tends to constantly write the swap file to the same area of the drive all the time. Solid state hard drives usually won't exhibit this behavior since a solid state hard drive will usually fail all at once instead of just a little at a time like a mechanical drive can.

Hope your issues are resolved! :cool:

LPBlue likes this.
  16. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Funny thing. Ten years ago, after a good 15-20 years (Yes, I had Windows 2.1 in the very early 90's), I jumped ship from being an MSDN developer and the Microsoft environment. The tools I was using more and more were platform agnostic and there wasn't anything in the Microsoft world that was exciting me and more to the point I was getting frustrated with things like Vista.

All that said, I do have a laptop from that era that I've upgraded to run Win10 and I have no complaints about it. The laptop is probably 12 years old and I did increase the RAM and installed a SSD. It runs too hot for it's own good but Win10 runs and it runs well. I use it for testing and it keeps chugging along.