Winner for versatility:

Y

yettoblaster

2860B7BB-8E8D-478C-8493-108B2B041CC8.jpeg

2021 American Performer w stock Yosemite pickups.

OK, some background:
I started playing guitar on an excruciating POS called a Kay “Sizzler,” whose pickup intriguingly removed any musical output: leaving only the hum!
D1833DA9-4214-45A8-9CD2-8995C299D67A.jpeg
Like a reverse Dolby!

Duane Eddy, and “Surf music” were all the rage then (shortly after the earth cooled and dinosaurs all cacked).

Then until now, I added different “styles” of guitar playing to my quiver (up until disco hit: I quit adding styles at that point, except old Country).

Naturally I blew through a TON of gear, always looking for The “Do It All” ax. You name it: I’ve probably tried it.
What worked for Larry Carlton in his “Mr 335” days did NOT work for me!

Mostly played various Telecaster iterations in a variety of wide ranging venues (bar&grills to orchestra pits).
I generally only had one guitar, which got traded for the next plan: Pretty Lame Ass Notion.

Finally retired from my day job to do only music, and blew through another ton of gear (good pension).

Left my last band (a five piece funk & soul outfit) before the plague, and moved away from the town where I had spent 46 years establishing myself as mostly a “Pop” player who could read a little and showed up on time.;)

The new guitars and amps are vastly more versatile than my old BF tube rigs (which probably needed a bias job).

And now I find I can play any style I want to on my Strat Am Performer, through my Quilter Aviator Cub.

Anybody find anything more versatile than a Strat?

Y

yettoblaster

Seriously though, while no self respecting jazzer would be caught dead playing a dimebag guitar, Do you think Joe Pass could not have made one sing?

Of course he could: it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian (painter/brush)!

I started doing BigBand/Showtunes gigs with an arch top hollowbody, which didn’t work at all in a thousand seater!
Switched to a Tele where you could be heard out to the back row.

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA

All I can say is that, after almost 42 years of playing guitar, my #1 is currently a Strat.

I still like my Gibsons (LP and SG) my Tele (AV ‘52 Reissue) and an Epiphone Century P90 archtop, but I mostly reach for my all-time favorite guitar these days, which just so happens to be a Strat...

89BAFFA2-A0B0-4530-9556-34508D7315E1.jpeg

racerx819

Strat-Talker
Jul 3, 2020
<><>LHP<><>
I love my strats. But for versatility this is mucho bueno. 51 CS Nocaster
full

dante1963

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Apr 28, 2016
St. Louis
Out of my collection, truthfully, only the Gibsons (FB, LP, SG & LPS) get real playing time. The Strats and the Tele don't get as much use.

My favorite guitar is my Firebird.

But, if the question is sheer versatility....

I've gotta go with the Telecaster.

Amp With Tele.JPG

It isn't sexy like the SG. Doesn't have the cool factor of the Les Paul or the Firebird.

But in the end, every time I play it (including yesterday), I always think that all a player really needs is a Tele.

Blues, Jazz, Country, Rock, Punk. A Tele can do anything.

I love my Les Paul Special with P90s, but there are some songs I play that don't quite work on it.

A Tele is a great, working man's (or woman's) axe.

Plus, if you are playing in a really rough joint, swinging a Tele at some drunk biker's head will do way more damage than hitting him with a Strat. Plus, you totally can't use an ES-335 to fight your way out of a bar.

Always remember to bring the right tool for the job.

:)

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
View attachment 535302

2021 American Performer w stock Yosemite pickups.

OK, some background:
I started playing guitar on an excruciating POS called a Kay “Sizzler,” whose pickup intriguingly removed any musical output: leaving only the hum!
View attachment 535308
Like a reverse Dolby!

Duane Eddy, and “Surf music” were all the rage then (shortly after the earth cooled and dinosaurs all cacked).

Then until now, I added different “styles” of guitar playing to my quiver (up until disco hit: I quit adding styles at that point, except old Country).

Naturally I blew through a TON of gear, always looking for The “Do It All” ax. You name it: I’ve probably tried it.
What worked for Larry Carlton in his “Mr 335” days did NOT work for me!

Mostly played various Telecaster iterations in a variety of wide ranging venues (bar&grills to orchestra pits).
I generally only had one guitar, which got traded for the next plan: Pretty Lame Ass Notion.

Finally retired from my day job to do only music, and blew through another ton of gear (good pension).

Left my last band (a five piece funk & soul outfit) before the plague, and moved away from the town where I had spent 46 years establishing myself as mostly a “Pop” player who could read a little and showed up on time.;)

The new guitars and amps are vastly more versatile than my old BF tube rigs (which probably needed a bias job).

And now I find I can play any style I want to on my Strat Am Performer, through my Quilter Aviator Cub.

Anybody find anything more versatile than a Strat?
Both the Lucille and the 61 (not the SG Custom) cover more territory but only a Strat sounds like a Strat.
IMG_20211002_141845037~3.jpg
IMG_20211021_022150663.jpg

Last edited:

T Bone Slort

"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"
Silver Member
Jan 7, 2014
Gibsons, British Columbia
Until recently I had 2 guitars, my Strat and my Tele, of which the Strat is most versatile.
While my Strat remains, and will remain, my number one most versatile, a new comer is vying for that spot.

It's a 2010 Epiphone Nighthawk Deluxe RI.

Same scale length as my Fenders and each pickup and pickup combination puts out a unique and inspiring tones.
There is one annoying feature of this guitar, one that isn't present on my two Fenders and that's the evil neck dive.
This drives me nuts!

Great guitar though....

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg