Winner for versatility:

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Until recently I had 2 guitars, my Strat and my Tele, of which the Strat is most versatile.
While my Strat remains, and will remain, my number one most versatile, a new comer is vying for that spot.

It's a 2010 Epiphone Nighthawk Deluxe RI.

Same scale length as my Fenders and each pickup and pickup combination puts out a unique and inspiring tones.
There is one annoying feature of this guitar, one that isn't present on my two Fenders and that's the evil neck dive.
This drives me nuts!

Great guitar though....

The original Gibson version of this came with heavier bodies and no neck dive. Epiphone apparently felt it needed to lighten up the guitar and the headstock headed for the floor.

Other than that, this is one of the most versatile guitars around.

Y

yettoblaster

Variax JTV 89F, run through a Helix via the VDI cable.

The other player in town that also played Broadway type productions used a Variax guitar setup.

I preferred to use whatever was called for in the book: guitar; banjo; ukulele, etc. More hectic in the pit for sure!

T Bone Slort

"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"
Silver Member
Jan 7, 2014
Gibsons, British Columbia
The original Gibson version of this came with heavier bodies and no neck dive. Epiphone apparently felt it needed to lighten up the guitar and the headstock headed for the floor.

Other than that, this is one of the most versatile guitars around.
Yes it's noticeably lighter than my two Fenders which is a definite plus, but I pretty much have to sit down to play.

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
The other player in town that also played Broadway type productions used a Variax guitar setup.

I preferred to use whatever was called for in the book: guitar; banjo; ukulele, etc. More hectic in the pit for sure!

I did something like that with keyboards back when -- had a huge old Hammond RT3, a smallish grand piano, a clavichord, a Fender Rhodes, etc. At some points I was stretched out between two of them. These days a Korg Kronos and a PA4X handles everything.

The Variax covers a LOT of ground.

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Yes it's noticeably lighter than my two Fenders which is a definite plus, but I pretty much have to sit down to play.

It's near impossible to find one of the Gibson originals of your Epiphone model. They're not crazy expensive; they're just rare on the ground.

And honestly, Gibson can't be trusted to produce a reissue that isn't hamstrung in some way.

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
Until recently I had 2 guitars, my Strat and my Tele, of which the Strat is most versatile.
While my Strat remains, and will remain, my number one most versatile, a new comer is vying for that spot.

It's a 2010 Epiphone Nighthawk Deluxe RI.

Same scale length as my Fenders and each pickup and pickup combination puts out a unique and inspiring tones.
There is one annoying feature of this guitar, one that isn't present on my two Fenders and that's the evil neck dive.
This drives me nuts!

Great guitar though....

View attachment 535383

View attachment 535381

I got to borrow a buddy's Nighthawk for a few gigs and have to agree they are wonderfully versatile instruments.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
View attachment 535302

2021 American Performer w stock Yosemite pickups.

OK, some background:
I started playing guitar on an excruciating POS called a Kay “Sizzler,” whose pickup intriguingly removed any musical output: leaving only the hum!
View attachment 535308
Like a reverse Dolby!

Duane Eddy, and “Surf music” were all the rage then (shortly after the earth cooled and dinosaurs all cacked).

Then until now, I added different “styles” of guitar playing to my quiver (up until disco hit: I quit adding styles at that point, except old Country).

Naturally I blew through a TON of gear, always looking for The “Do It All” ax. You name it: I’ve probably tried it.
What worked for Larry Carlton in his “Mr 335” days did NOT work for me!

Mostly played various Telecaster iterations in a variety of wide ranging venues (bar&grills to orchestra pits).
I generally only had one guitar, which got traded for the next plan: Pretty Lame Ass Notion.

Finally retired from my day job to do only music, and blew through another ton of gear (good pension).

Left my last band (a five piece funk & soul outfit) before the plague, and moved away from the town where I had spent 46 years establishing myself as mostly a “Pop” player who could read a little and showed up on time.;)

The new guitars and amps are vastly more versatile than my old BF tube rigs (which probably needed a bias job).

And now I find I can play any style I want to on my Strat Am Performer, through my Quilter Aviator Cub.

Anybody find anything more versatile than a Strat?

Yep, a Vitorinox Swiss Army knife!

sgarnett

Senior Stratmaster
May 19, 2019
Versailles, KY
Neck dive is a total deal breaker for me. It’s not that I can’t play a neck heavy guitar; it’s just that I can’t play one long before my right hand goes numb or tingly. If it isn’t balanced well enough to stay in place without forearm pressure, I’m not interested.

knh555

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 6, 2016
Massachusetts
There’s always this for versatility
productImageNWM

but I’ll grab the a Strat if I’m unsure what I’ll be playing or I don’t want to think too hard dialing in the sound in my head. So me if that is driven by my own experience with it over other instruments however.

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

When I want something versatile ... I play one of these

img_20190714_105810.jpg

Strat: reverse\Hendrix bridge slot, Armstrong Blender to go anywhere between SSS and HSH

Tele: Esquire-H with a 4-way for 'Strat Middle (or neck with tone knob)'/'Parallel Strat #2 Quack'/'Tele Single Coil Bridge Twang (oh so much Twang)'/'Humbucker LP Junior'. Pickup is lowered and screw poles raised 3/16th inch to separate all those tones.