Join Strat-Talk Today

wireless headphone connecting to Yamaha THR10?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by roudan, Mar 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

Hi

I have Yamaha THR10, I like to use wireless headphone to connect to Yamaha so I can play quietly at night. what kind of headphone I can use to connect to amp? I don't like the one with cable looping around my neck when playing.

If I understand correctly, Yamaha THR10 doesn't have bluetooth or wireless function? any suggestion?

Thanks

2. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

If you have the older Yamaha THR10, then you'll need to purchase a bluetooth headphone with blue tooth module to plug into the headphone jack.
    If you have the newer Yamaha THR10II, then you can simply purchase a bluetooth capable headphone.
    Sennheiser makes some very well respected headphones and ear buds.

If your Yamaha amp has the bluetooth logo between the buttons like this, then you are good to go:

yamaha.JPG

roudan likes this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

Hopefully you will get good results. There can be a lot of latency doing what you are trying to do if you need to get a BT receiver to plug into the amp.

roudan likes this.
  4. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-Talker

looks like the amp has a headphone output as well.
    companies like sennheiser have wireless headphones with a transmitter that plugs into the headphone out
    no latency that way

roudan likes this.
  5. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

sorry mine is old model doesn’t have Bluetooth. However I managed to get one Sony wireless headphone with transmitter. There are too much hum. If I use my regular apple earphone with cable, there is no hum. What is it? Is the hum the latency you are talking about? Then how to eliminate the hum? Thx

6. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-Talker

latency is a delay between you hitting a note and the time it takes to hear it from the headphones, a bit like watching a video where the audio and video are out of sync.
    try moving the transmitter around a bit, keep it away from the amps transformer, also try a different cable or adapter from the amp to the transmitter (or maybe you are just hearing single coil guitar hum, try moving yourself away a bit)

roudan likes this.
  7. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

Thx. I just found the hum is caused by wireless headphone itself. Before plunging into the amp, if I hold the plug head by fingers, there are a lot of hum. After plugging , it I use fingers to touch all the strings, the hum goes away. What is it going on?i don’t understand it. Anyone can help, pls? Thx

8. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-Talker

ground loop
    try either plugging the transmitter to a different wall outlet (not on the same circuit breaker) or if the transmitter works off of a dc adapter (wall wart) plug it in to the wall socket upside down if you can

roudan likes this.
  9. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

Thanks myredstrat. I found the reason. I was using battery for my yamaha. I took battery out and plugged it into AC. and the hum went away. However, there is still some static even before I plugged it into guitar. I think the static is just between headphone and amp. The closer they are, the louder the static. Any suggestion to eliminate the static? Thanks, I appreciate your help.

10. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

Do your headphones have a cable jack? I use bluetooth headphones but with a 6' cable and a 1/4" adapter on the amp end to plug straight in. The yahama actually has a great sound through headphones in my opinion.

11. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

No, my headphone doesn't have cable. it is wireless, sony MDR-RF985R. Thanks

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDR-RF985-Wireless-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B009A6CZYO

12. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

roudan likes this.
  13. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-Talker

do you mean the transmitter, or the actual headphones on your head? if it's the transmitter what I said earlier should help, if it's the phones, I'm stumped. are you on carpet?
    try rubbing your pickguard with a bounce sheet?(or your head)

roudan likes this.
  14. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

thank you so much myredstrat for keeping helping me. I appreciate it.

it is from my headphone. nothing to do with guitar. what I meant was even without playing guitar, I heard these static mild pitch sounds continues from my headphones. The closer between headphone and amp is, the louder this static becomes. I am on carpet.

15. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-Talker

the carpet may be the culprit, try a different room with no carpet to see if the static goes away.
    also some phones have different channels and fine tuning to lock in on the transmitter which I don't see on your model (I could be wrong)

roudan likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.