Join Strat-Talk Today

Wiring a super switch for Neck/Bridge w/S1 for Coil split... HSS

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by burrmanchu, Oct 28, 2018.

1. burrmanchu

burrmanchu Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys.. got some good feedback with my last post so I'm doing some modding... Just having trouble finding a diagram to combine both my "mods". Plus a resistor question...

Got a HSS Strat, came stock with a treble bleed, 500k Volume, 1MEG tone pots...
    Sounds pretty good this way so I'm trying to not mess with most that isn't broken.

BUT... I want to wire the 5-way super switch so that the middle position is NECK/BRIDGE,
    and I want to add a S-1 switch on the volume knob to split the humbucker when pressed in.

I can find (mostly questionable) diagrams for both, but not the combo, and I was wondering if the extra 470k resistors I keep seeing in diagrams are needed to split this humbucker without issue. I realize the 1MEG pots is a weird setup to begin with, but I havent had any issues with tone.

So do I need extra stuff to do what I'm attempting? Or can I wire it up fine the way it is but change position 3 to Neck/bridge and add that S-1 without issue?

Thanks guys
    Brian

2. burrmanchu

Almost forgot... the 1meg tone pot for everything but the neck PUP is also a no-load pot. And I have a 500K I can replace it with if necessary (or even if it would just sound better).

3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's coming up to dinner time over here, and I'm head chef, but if you can live with the fact I won't reply for a few hours, a few thoughts:

If you want the middle position to be neck/bridge, what do you want the others to be? (I'm not sure what you'd like the middle pickup to do.)

The S1 switch is an expensive component just to do a coil shunt on a humbucker, when almost any push/pull pot will do the same thing. If you really want to use that switch, it could probably modify the function of the middle position of the switch too, but I'd have to sit and think about that!

4. burrmanchu

I want the 5 way to be...

5: Neck
    4: Neck/Middle
    3: Neck/Bridge
    2: Middle/Bridge
    1: Bridge

I never use middle PUP alone for anything... ever. lol

I already have an S-1 sitting in a box, so I'd much rather use that for the coil split instead of wasting a selector switch spot or adding a push/pull or a toggle switch.

Really I only want to change one position of a 5 way (middle becomes neck/bridge) and split coil with the S-1 since it's invisible and wont require cutting my pickguard or routing anything. I just want to make sure I dont need any extra resistors or any other crap I'm not thinking about :)
    I only ask about the resistance because of the weird 1MEG pot situation in this guitar and how that might play out (I'm a total noob at resistances etc)

Thanks
    Brian

edit: Just for clarification, I only want to split the bridge PUP which is a humbucker, and I want it to split with a press-in of the S-1 button. 1 volume, two tone pots, tone 1 is neck only, tone 2 is 1-2-3-4 positions (stock).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  5. burrmanchu

Also if anyone has a legit wiring diagram to help me do this, please let me know. Every diagram I can find for the coil split shows a regular switch, and I'll be working with the super switch due to the PUP selection change I want to make. Here's the original wiring diagram from the factory (as it is currently)

Attached Files:

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

burrmanchu and simoncroft like this.
  7. simoncroft

That all seems achievable. The coil shunt on the bridge pickup and the rewire on the selector are probably best thought of as two different issues.

Unfortunately, the 'clocks went back' last night, meaning here in the UK we've gone from British Summer Time to Greenwich Mean Time. Today, it's just gone 1:00 Monday morning, but my body says it's 2:00 and I'm too tired to think wiring schemes.

burrmanchu likes this.
  8. simoncroft

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you but I've had a bit of a humdinger of a day. I know how to do this in concept, but I'll need to draw you a diagram. Do you already have the Super Switch, or are you going to buy one once you can see what you want is possible? Either way, it might be a good idea if we agree which brand you're going to use, so what I draw works first time (although I'm afraid I don't have time to test it).

Using the S1, you could do a variation on the circuit below, so that in the two positions, the pickup selector did completely different things, giving you 10 settings in all. However, I understand that may not be the direction you're headed in.

EDIT: I've just downloaded your PDF, so I know it's a Fender Super Switch. No prob.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 19.31.03.png

9. burrmanchu

The Fender super switch was stock... it's now an Oak Grigsby. The Fender one crapped out (that's what started this whole ordeal).

Not sure what you mean by the PUP selector doing "completely different things/10 settings"? I just want the middle 5 way position to be neck/bridge, and the S-1 to split the humbucker coil whenever it's engaged. Everything else keeping the way it is now. Maybe I'm over-explaining it lol

10. zulicious

zulicious New Member!

Treat it as two separate issues.
    I have a HSS with a superswitch that gives me the N+B in the middle.
    All you need is a schematic for that switch wiring.

My humbucker has a partial split that is on a mini switch next to the
    bridge tone pot. Both tone pots are 500k no loads for the N and B.
    I do not like push pulls; too slow live. Don't like push push either,
    mechanical fatigue happens too fast. Mini switch is perfect for me.
    Due to the simplicity, all I need is is simple, and tiny SPST, black.

I think that all you need to know now is on how to wire the S1 switch for a simple coil split.
    I recommend you research partial splits since most coil splits can sound a little weak.
    There is also the parallel option if the split isn't to your liking.

burrmanchu likes this.
  11. simoncroft

I'm really sorry, but I'm going to bail on this. It's not that I can't be bothered, but I had to see my doctor today and I don't seem to be too well right now.

If you look at the switch wiring detail from the PDF you posted, you'll see where 'White wire from middle pickup' is at the end of the list. It needs to be 'unlinked' from lug 3, so it only goes to 2 and 4. That means there will be no middle pickup in position 3. However, there are some aspects of Fender's original wiring scheme I can't really get my head round.

Hopefully, someone else can help you.

I would agree with @zulicious, BTW that coil shunts – and even series/parallel coil wiring – seldom prove to be as useful as they look.

12. burrmanchu

Well thanks anyhow, I hope your health turns around. I caught a flu today out of left field as well. Must be that time of year. I'll check out the diagrams, maybe I can figure it out myself. Between this forum and SD's i really haven't got an answer as to the wiring diagram... It's bizarre to me that one doesn't just exist on the web that's easily google'd.

Take care.

If anyone else can help please chime in!

Thanks,
    Brian

13. burrmanchu

Think I found a diagram but still having some trouble with this... anyone out there able to help me out yet?

14. Stratula

Stratula Strat-O-Master

Did you ever get a diagram? I plan to wire up a partscaster with the "3" position being Neck-Bridge and have the schematic roughed up. Glad to share it (after polishing it) if you still need it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.