Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wiring help for a newbie.. Please

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by axewound, Nov 30, 2017.

1. axewound

axewound New Member!

Nov 30, 2017
    uk
    Hi

I am new to the forum .. have been an on and off lurker for a while playing for a few years (started too late in life but loving it)

I have two mex strats one with fat 50's and one with custom shop 69's in and love them.

I need help with my new project though

I have a new mex strat and have ordered 3 stacked single coils/ buckers a SJBJ-1JB Jr in the bridge position SDBR1n Duckbucker in the middle position SL59 1n Little 59 in the neck.

I need a wiring diagram though, i am a dab hand with a soldering iron and following a diagram but i dont know how you would do what i want

I want the three to be split buy the volume (have a push push volume pot on the way) so that "up/out" is single coil and "down/in" is full fat! and i want the middle tone pot to work on the middle and neck pickup and the bottom tone to work on the bridge pickup alone (as in the coil split mod) and a standard 5 way switch

Have tried a search and cant find what i want... any ideas anyone

2. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    You might have to find 2 diagrams for these 2 mods. If so, break it down into the separate components of splitting the 3 pickups and the other item with the tone controls.

Did you have any luck at the Seymour Duncan site? That is my go to place for wiring diagrams.

3. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I will say if you split a Duckbucker, only 3 strings will work. It is supposed to be wired in parallel, which is the only way it sounds and works as intended. So, no splitting at all for that pickup. You can, however split the other 2. This is the diagram I would use. Just move the red & white wires of the bridge pickup to the other push/pull switch.

4. axewound

axewound New Member!

Nov 30, 2017
    uk
    Hi

Thats great thank you .. i did do a little more reading on the duck bucker after i posted and found that out

The diagram is perfect thank you i have a tone split mod diagram somewhere and i can merge the two to give what i want i reckon.

I might be being dum you say to move the red and white wires i am just using the volume as a push pull so thats the only one so would it work as per your diagram without moving anything?

5. Seymour Duncan

Oh if you are using the volume for push pull (to split both), then there is no need to move anything. If you want each one to split separately, you have to add another push pull, and move the red & white wires of the other pickup to that one.

6. axewound

axewound New Member!

Nov 30, 2017
    uk
    Sorry for being a pain in the backside but the duckbuker has four wires how do i do that with the diagram you show? is it black & red to hot- white & green to ground.. so in that diagram black and red to the switch and white green and the bare braded wire to earth? (well the back of the pot)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017

7. Seymour Duncan

Yes, you got it. I am combining the diagram I posted above with the middle pickup of this one.