1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Wiring help needed! (Fender S1 content)

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by wooly, Jun 2, 2014.

1. wooly

wooly New Member!

I'm trying to get more unique/different sounds out of my American Standard Strat by using an S1 switch but I don't know the first thing about how to create a working diagram for a guitar :oops: I can solder and that's about it :D

I've found this wiring layout which looks great but I want to change two things (if possible).
    1. I want the standard tone knob wiring, so separate knobs for bridge/middle and neck rather than two separate master tones.
    2. I'm not sure if it's possible but I want positions 2 and 4 with the S1 down to be an Out of Phase combination (Brian May style) rather than all 3 pickups.

[​IMG]

Any help would be much appreciated :mrgreen:

Namelyguitar likes this.
  2. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer

Hey, Wooly.

If you go to this link below, and scroll-down a bit, you'll see a diagram labeled: "Brian May's Red Special Wiring Diagram." Maybe this will help?

The Guitar Wiring Blog - diagrams and tips

Here's a shrunken image of the diagram available at the link above:

Attached Files:

3. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer

Here's another view of the Brian May wiring schematic:

Attached Files:

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

What you're hoping to do is very similar to the May-o-caser I'm about to wire up, except I only want a single master tone. Alas, I don't have a diagram anywhere but in my head! Leave it with me a few hours and the diagram shall be yours!

5. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

Ive got some Red Special designs too, including an overall series/parallel switch, but I think you may want to keep with a 5 way switch?

For your phased sounds, on a Standard Strat, the best one is B and N out of phase. It is hum cancelling and not too thin, particularly if in series.

I suggest you write down exactly what you would like in each position of the 5 way, in the S1 up and S1 down modes, its probably possible. Also, when pickups are in series, which tones would then be active?

For the phased sounds, a good approach might be a seperate push/pull switch to reverse the neck., and you could add that to any diagram that you like.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. simoncroft

Strat-O-Tele meets May-O-Caster

I was just about to start work on this when a friend of the missus came round bearing alcohol. I must admit, we've had worse disappointments, but I didn't get as far with your diagram as I'd hoped. Still, I have the switching side mapped out.

My starting point is the same as the one I want to use for my Burns Tri-Sonic powered May-O-Caster, which is the Strat-O-Tele wiring used in the James Burton Artist Series Telecaster. (Please ignore the fact that the diagram shows two Tele pickups. For our purposes, they could just as well all be Strat pickups.)

As I'm sure you know, the Fender S1 is a combination of a normal pot with a push-button 4-pole/double throw switch. In the diagram below, I've simply 'hijacked' the wires from the middle pickup and sent them to a second S1, which I've used for phase reverse. So any pickup combination involving the middle pickup and another pickup can be phase reversed.

Exactly the same logic would apply to reversing the phase of the neck or bridge pickups instead, if that gives you more of the combinations you require.

Wiring the tone pots to the pickups you want is easy enough. For now, I've just put an 'X' where they used to be the Tele-style master volume.

So far, does this do what you were hoping for?

(BTW the little graphic showing how the S1 switch works in general was stolen from here: Mod Garage: The Fender S-1 Switching System.)

Attached Files:

7. JohnDH

Simon - nice, but just a thought about the diagram. It looks based on a Tele, which is logically wired up by working from the front face. This thread is for a Strat, which apart from the extra pot and different layout, has its pickguard flipped over to work on it. Since the main thing about a wiring diagram is to have a direct visual reference without mental flips, it might be a good idea to put parts nearer to how they eill appear before going too far.

8. FredC

FredC Strat-Talker

This is how the S1 Throws:

Attached Files:

• S1.JPG
      S1.JPG
      File size:
      84.7 KB
      Views:
  9. wooly

wooly New Member!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Interesting about the N+B OOP, I was originally thinking the middle PU out of phase and in series with the neck or bridge but I might rethink it if that wouldn't sound any good.

Here's what I was thinking originally switching wise.

S1 Up: (wired in parallel)
    1. Bridge
    2. Bridge/Middle
    3. Bridge/Neck
    4. Neck/Middle
    5. Neck

S1 Down: (wired in series)
    1. Bridge+Middle
    2. Bridge+(Middle)
    3. Bridge+Neck
    4. Neck+(Middle)
    5. Neck+Middle

Basically the diagram in the first post but with the middle PU out of phase on positions 2 and 4 with the S1 down. The tone controls would be standard Stratocaster wiring so Tone 1 neck and Tone 2 bridge and middle.

Here's the only S1 wiring diagram I could find from Fender using out of phase wiring on an American Deluxe Stratocaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's with the neck wired out of phase with the S1 down so it can be done without adding a separate phase reversal switch right?

I hope I'm not making things more complicated :D

Bo Haffner likes this.
  10. JohnDH

I think what you suggest is possible.

But I'll toss this one in:

The Strat SP | GuitarNutz 2

It keeps everything in phase, but is unusual in that it has a phase switch that can work in any combination. Hence you can get BM, BN, MN in series or parallel, in or out of phase. It keeps simple B and N in place in positions 1 and 5, so you can always get to them quickly. It also has some interesting tone controls, which could be changed.

11. simoncroft

Now that is pretty cool, John. I like the simple logic of the switch options, but I also like the fact it can be achieved with a couple of push/pulls.

Ergonomically, I prefer the S1s but I'm not sure I like paying for them! Somehow, I feel as if I'm wasting an opportunity using a switch as versatile as the S1 just to achieve phase reverse.

(Point taken about the orientation of parts in my diagrams BTW. I had a little library of common components I'd drawn in Illustrator. I have a nasty feeling I've lost them, so I'll have to redraw the ones I can't drag off previous diagrams.)

12. johnel

johnel New Member!

Hi there. Is this 5 way switch correct as in other fender diagrams, the switch is rotated 180 degrees. Is the blue switch wire common at terminals 3,4 &5 and is the brown wire common to terminals 1,2 & 3?

Attached Files:

13. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

First Wooly, the how-if you're new at this, and not farming the work out to a tech.

Strat - two choices in my book for modding a pre-owned guitar that is already setup and playing well. Loosen the strings or take them off, it's your choice.
    --After removing PG screws, and popping the hood loose, either:
    1. Flip the PG over without unsoldering or otherwise cutting/disconnecting two wires to the jack. In this case, I protect the guitar's finish by using a soft cloth between the PG and the body. Start working and don't let hot solder or tools near that finish!
    or
    2. Unsolder jack wires, and take the PG entirely from the guitar and move it to the bench, or table.

Similar idea for any Les Paul or other guitar project that has wiring accessed though a cavity around back.
    Choose either:
    1.Replace a component or two without removing most, or all of the wiring. (Example pot, switch, or replace a pickup.)
    or
    2. Remove all pots, and other components/ wiring in the back cavity.

Some mods take a few minutes, and do not require gutting the guitar wiring, etc. I've tested plenty of mods without reattaching the pickguard, or cavity cover. You don't have to strum strings on a guitar to select a pickup, and find out if it's talking. Put the whole thing together after the new parts are tested. ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019