Wiring showed me my eyesight is going down the toilet.

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
I was wiring a Strat yesterday, and that was the first time I realized just how shot my eyesight is getting. I already hate soldering, but wow. It’s 20 times worse when it’s just a huge blur! I couldn’t find any readers, btw.

I’m already half deaf, and now I’m blind. If I lose my ability to speak I guess I’ll just change my damn name to Tommy!

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
When I'm not cursing my hands or my insides, I'm cursing my eyes. I too know your pain. The good news is ...

There ain't any. This is as good as it gets. Tomorrow is a step ... along the path (that age has decided, in nature's fu*king idea of humor) toward the porcelain Buddha.

(As he calls out into that good night... "enough already you miserable jackass...it fu*king hurts")

Ironwolf

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 18, 2008
Boise, Idaho
I have implanted lens following cataract removal. Their focus range is basically 15 feet to infinity, so I don't need glasses when driving. I have some low powered (+1.25) readers for normal day-to-day life, and some +2.0 for reading or working at my computer. When I am working on guitar wiring or wiring up an amp build, I use some +3.0 readers in order to get in close and really see what I am doing.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
I had perfect vision right up until my early 40s and as was expected, reading became difficult and I progressed from drug store readers to full prescription that I wear today.

A couple of years ago I realized my distance sight was a bit blurred and that’s when I found out 1) I needed a prescription for distance and 2) I have a cataract in my right eye. I got the prescription but never took care of the cataract due to COVID lockdowns. I’m now set for cataract surgery next month to remove and replace with a corrective lens. I’ll still need glasses unless I eventually correct the left eye.

I can’t wait to wear those giant old man sunglasses they give you afterward. Maybe I’ll wear a nice pair of sandals with white socks to complete my transition to old man :D

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I was wiring a Strat yesterday, and that was the first time I realized just how shot my eyesight is getting. I already hate soldering, but wow. It’s 20 times worse when it’s just a huge blur! I couldn’t find any readers, btw.

I’m already half deaf, and now I’m blind. If I lose my ability to speak I guess I’ll just change my damn name to Tommy!

I have some to do and already knew how hard it is to see so I went on Amazon was surprise how many cheap soldering stations with dual clips, multiple magnifications and an LED light there were for $20. I orderered one for $17 I think and it arrived yesterday.
I may have to modify it a bit to get the set screws to grip better but it does the job.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I had perfect vision right up until my early 40s and as was expected, reading became difficult and I progressed from drug store readers to full prescription that I wear today.

A couple of years ago I realized my distance sight was a bit blurred and that’s when I found out 1) I needed a prescription for distance and 2) I have a cataract in my right eye. I got the prescription but never took care of the cataract due to COVID lockdowns. I’m now set for cataract surgery next month to remove and replace with a corrective lens. I’ll still need glasses unless I eventually correct the left eye.

I can’t wait to wear those giant old man sunglasses they give you afterward. Maybe I’ll wear a nice pair of sandals with white socks to complete my transition to old man :D

..and get a metal detector!:)

ido1957

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 13, 2014
Canada
Readers at age 50. So far that's as bad as it has gotten. Can't read anything without them.
Luckily my Strats have dots so I can sometimes get away without them when playing if the light is good.
But I keep a spare in each of my guitar cases.

Heavyriff

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 8, 2019
NE PA
20/15 here but in 40's reading vision started to go. I was eating a piece of chicken and could not get it in focus, I thought am I having a stroke....nope just getting older.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Funny enough, it's going to the toilet that showed me my eyesight was going down the toilet...

Found out I had a hard time reading the small prints on advertisement above the urinals wihtout spraying my shoes... Been wearing glasses ever since !

Chicago Matt

Strat-O-Master
Sep 24, 2014
Woodstock
I have implanted lens following cataract removal. Their focus range is basically 15 feet to infinity, so I don't need glasses when driving. I have some low powered (+1.25) readers for normal day-to-day life, and some +2.0 for reading or working at my computer. When I am working on guitar wiring or wiring up an amp build, I use some +3.0 readers in order to get in close and really see what I am doing.

I got one lens to focus close, and one to focus far. It's worked out great, I haven't had to wear glasses since for day to day stuff, shooting too. But those 3.0 readers really come in handy for soldering work.

When I'm not cursing my hands or my insides, I'm cursing my eyes. I too know your pain. The good news is ...

There ain't any. This is as good as it gets. Tomorrow is a step ... along the path (that age has decided, in nature's fu*king idea of humor) toward the porcelain Buddha.

(As he calls out into that good night... "enough already you miserable jackass...it fu*king hurts")

It sucks being mortal, doesn't it? :cool:

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
@Jason D

and LED lights are your friend. If my gal didn't hate them so much I'd have them strung up in every room of the house.

Here's that $17 unit. I need to modify the rods so that the set screws with the black knobs grip better, but one it's set it stays where I need it and hold the work so I have my hand free.

Attachments

• 20210909_113246.jpg
    20210909_113246.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 4

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
I was trying to read a magazine at the airport before boarding a flight when I realized my arm wasn't long enough to read the print anymore. I'd had a pair of mile distance glasses since 8th grade, but wore them almost never and hadn't had an eye exam in about a decade. So after that trip, a visit to the optometrist soon had me in bifocals and I could again see near and far.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Lots of light is your friend. A high intensity lamp will make a huge difference. Try it.

Meanwhile, give in, get the glasses... progressive bi or tri-focals as you need. Make life enjoyable.

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Amber

That's EXACTLY what I have. I can see the hairs on a gnat's butt at 50 feet, but I'm wearing Costco 3-pack ($18) 1.25 readers right now so I can see to type this.