Wish “Klone” project

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Hendrixlvr, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Strat-O-Master

Picked up a wish Klone a few weeks back for $30 and decided to play a lil but. I think it’s turning out pretty bad-ass LOL

next step....new knobs!

D8E569E4-ECA8-409B-AC9B-C5C7328660A7.jpeg 762C439D-7B9E-40B5-8F01-5204E6F9819B.png 6C628C93-CE43-487D-AB3E-E89B2D5E7785.png 6A325A43-DB3D-4454-BF8E-B511C146179B.jpeg
    21CBA728-A4C0-4811-9515-0FD450F7A15E.jpeg

Miotch, CB91710, henderman and 2 others like this.
  2. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

That looks great!

Hendrixlvr likes this.
  3. Northenlights

Northenlights New Member!

Looks good!

What did you do to remove the original horse and finish? I bought a similair klone that I expected to be just brushed steel, but when it came it turned out to be in a gray, metallic lacquer. I'd like some way to remove it.

4. Hendrixlvr

I just used a palm sander and sanded it off, then I polished it with a buffing machine. The “artwork” is just printed on with a big latex printer we have at my work

Northenlights likes this.
  5. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I tried one of those kits when they first came out about 8 years ago. They sent a couple wrong components and I never could get them to rectify it. I ended up with a paper weight when it was all said and done. I have seen about 50 other people that have had good luck with them since though. My experience just kind of put a bad taste in my mouth about it though.

6. Northenlights

Northenlights New Member!

Thanks! Simple and obvious answers that I could'nt think of myself!

Mine didn't turn out as shiny as yours, but I only sanded by hand, stopping at 1200 grit. But that's ok I think, it doesn't have to be perfect.
    Thanks for the advice and inspiration!

Hendrixlvr likes this.
  7. Hendrixlvr

Thanks man
    ! I put all the parts back in it this weekend and fired it up. It sounds surprisingly good. I have no way of comparing it to a real Klon to see if it sounds close to the same, but it’s a good sounding overdrive to me LOL

Northenlights likes this.
  8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

There's a vid by Music Is Win on YouTube where he does that exact thing. $5k Centaur vs Wish Centaur clone.

He was fairly impressed & so was everyone else. So much that the sellers jacked the price up on Wish.com because hundreds of people were buying them.

Kinda like when Josh @ JHS Pedals does a vid about some unknown pedal. All the sudden, everybody wants one and prices on Reverb, etc...skyrocket. We're talking even things like old Behringer pedals that aren't available anymore and things like that. All, it takes is a JHS vid and demand is through the roof. That's one thing really cool about Josh Scott. He's such a pedal buff, he doesn't just push his own pedals. He pushes everyone else's, too. If it's a good pedal, he'll talk about it. Recommend and likely has a couple of his own lol. And 'He has the box!' too lmao

I've been considering ordering a clone lol. I got my Demon Tube Screamer from there and it's great. TS808 & TS9 in one pedal. Though I'm not sure I can tell a difference yet. Lol

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    Hendrixlvr and Miotch like this.