Witnessed a rather disturbing event today..

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Philo426, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

It was kind of shocking and so blatant!Personally I always make sure I have sufficient funds to cover my purchases...I would never just take things I could not pay for!

2. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Depends. I pretty much always use a debit card, and almost never have much cash on me. Now if someone was using a credit card for a $5 purchase that's another story.

3. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Strat-O-Master

I never use an ATM to get cash. I just buy a pack of gum or something at Walmart and use my debit card and get cash back. Also, my debit card is a Visa and just as secure as a credit card.

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

While this may be true, if there is fraud on your debit card, and the thief empties out your bank account, it may take a few days to get that sorted out. So you are without any funds for a few days. That doesn't happen with a credit card. I used to work at a bank, and I've seen this happen on a few occasions. I usually use a credit card and then just pay it off.

duzie and Baelzebub like this.
  5. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Strat-O-Master

I've had people try to hack my card a couple of times. Visa immediately called me and asked if it was a legit charge. When I told them it wasn't they locked the card and issued me a new one. It was inconvenient for a couple of days. My card now has a feature where I can turn it on and off with my phone. I leave it off unless I'm using it.

6. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

[​IMG]

7. mapleglo

You know, if that happens around the time rent is due, it can be a problem. Again, that happened a few times at the bank. Which is why I try to use the credit card whenever possible.

Baelzebub and mkgearhead like this.
  8. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    I can - and often do - use a card to buy a €0.95 baguette - don't even have to punch a code. For purchases up to €50 per day, you just hold the card against the reader until it beeps. In fact, they upped the limit because of COVID-19 to encourage contact-free payment.
    Of course, most cards here are debit, not credit.

9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Even with all things being equal, which I don't believe they are, I fail to see any advantage to having money directly withdrawn from ny account, over using the cc company's money for 45 days or so, interest free. But I wouldn't use either for any purchase under $50. YMMV..follow your bliss.

10. mapleglo

Wow, Ok.

11. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

Oh we loved CiCis pizza but my cardiologist made me stop eating there and go on a diet; guess I need to find a new doctor:eek::whistling:

12. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

^^^ THIS! There isn't a substance on this planet that will make you feel as good for five bucks as helping out someone like that will, unsolicited and for nothing. And people typically don't forget kindnesses like that. Lady likely would have been telling that story years from now to her grandkids. Hell, she may get lucky in the market, get a surprise inheritance, or for who knows what reason find herself flush and remembering your example, render the same kindness to others many times over. Or not but it doesn't matter. What I do know is I've been poor before and I do try to pay it forward when the right opportunity arrives. That said I don't patronize beggars, begging is an industry around here. But folks in real need, hell I like to consider that an opportunity to step up.

13. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

You have to be careful though.

Some months back I stopped to get gas and a car wash. The guy in front of me was trying to buy a large fountain soda. He was counting out some change and was coming up short. After the second count... (and I'm not pleased with what I did) I stepped up and and said, "what's the problem?" I then took two bucks and threw it down on the counter and said here, "I'll take care of it".

I did it because I was impatient, not because I cared for the man's plight. It resolved the situation, but I didn't consider until an hour later how I may have made that man feel. I could have acted with more compassion.

That still bugs me. A few kind words could have made it a different experience for both of us.

bloomz and Rudedawg like this.