Working from home - How is it working for you?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

I think it's nice to have a job where I can work from home, but I don't always feel like working from home for long periods of time. I recently started a new job (in May), and with the COVID situation, I've been having to work from home. But if you have a spouse you live with, or anyone else you live with at home, sometimes I feel like there could be distractions at home or maybe some occasional drama you have to listen to or something.. Sometimes I feel like it can be good to get out to an office to work.

I've heard some companies are now considering having their employees work from home more often, or perhaps even permanently, in order to save money. I'm not sure if I really like that idea overall..

2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I've been working from home for 24 years, but Lisa just started a new job a month before the lockdown and has been working from home ever since. She likes it, and I'm finding I'm less likely to goof off with a co-worker just down the hall. I've been incredibly productive during these 3 months.

Triple Jim likes this.
  3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My working(for a dollar) years (1960-2006)
    I needed full focus(like aircraft motors)
    I hated anyone within 40-50 feet....
    Programming, someone walking into my cube(me being totally inside the code)
    Just a focussed airhead....
    All my fault....
    No loose strings....
    No loose hairs....
    Perfection attempted...

CalicoSkies likes this.
  4. CalicoSkies

By "co-worker", do you mean she works with you at the same company? That's cool if she got a job with you.

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

Like @Seamus OReally, I've been working at home for many years. For me, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

space and Seamus OReally like this.
  6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

No, she works for a not-for-profit and I make music for commercial applications. She used to work for me, but the health insurance costs killed us. She got a gig with benefits.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-Talker

Been workin' fine for most of the past 25 years or so. I've been a self-starter my entire life so I do fine working without daily supervision. If you produce results no one cares where you produce them from.

Personally I believe this pandemic will change many things in the working world before all is said and done.

rafasounds likes this.
  8. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

I’ve been working from home for 17 years now. Hope to do it until I retire. Don’t miss the commute, don’t miss the cubicles, don’t miss the "camaraderie". I actually went from one extreme to the other - for a while I was flying all over the country, then my travel slowed a lot when I started doing what I’m doing now.

What I like: having a guitar in my office :)

Bowmap and Bad Penny like this.
  9. Belexes

Belexes Strat-O-Master

10. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Overall, I can do virtually everything here that I can do in the office. Using MS Teams, I now physically see people more than when I was in the office when many meetings were conference calls. I don't miss the commute but I do miss some of the in-person interactions. We're likely not going to return to the office before year end and even then it will be on a very limited basis. I don't foresee a scenario where I work more than 2 days a week in the office. It's likely that this will be rolled out to staff of all levels.

I'm curious to see the long term effects on the NYC real estate market. Over time, companies will require less office space so I can't imagine commercial real estate won't see a decrease in the price per sq/ft. Similarly, if there's no longer a need to live close to the office to shorten commute times, staff will move further out into the burbs and a similar effect will happen to the residential real estate market...or maybe that's just my dream where I pick off Manhattan properties for cheap. :D

11. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The missus keeps trying to get me to work. But I resist

12. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

I can work from home fine, and it was often the place I would retreat to to get things done. But not going to the office since March is taking its toll. I slowly become less and less productive and motivated. Which I then try to compensate by working more hours, so my days are now continuously spent in a quantum state of being simultaneously working and not working. Wife and kid running around providing distraction doesn’t help either.

I am not cut out for working from home for extended periods of time. I need to spend some time every now and then in a fully work dedicated environment.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  13. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Been working from home since March... I could list all the positives and negatives of it.. I like to focus solely on the positives though... I find that I'm a much happier person when I look at the bright side of every single aspect in life. So I'll just say I enjoy working from home.

Stay Half Full!

14. Bad Penny

Bad Penny Strat-Talk Member

I've only been 3 months working from home, and I have to say it's amazing! I no longer need to wake at 5.30am to get to work for 8am! My quality of life has improved significantly.

Plus, it's great to be able to come off a conference call and pick up the Strat for a few minutes!

15. CalicoSkies

Yes, if you have other people at home, that can be a distraction at times.

I do like not having to get up as early to commute to the office.

Bad Penny likes this.
  16. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-Talk Member

In my case, pros:
    Not to commute 2h per day + savings of fuel and tolls, as I live in the country side, a little bit far away from the office, and no traffic jams! And the best: to pick up a guitar each day for a while..

cons: working from home with 3 small kids during the COVID lockdown it is really hard...now I can understand the increase of divorces in China...I need to return to the office at least for a couple of days. During the last 3,5 months I”ve been working +50h per week in front of a laptop and studying a master on weekends.

Stonetone and CalicoSkies like this.
  17. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

I've worked from home from time to time prior to the pandemic but I've been working from home consistently since March 7. Like many I don't miss the commute at all, not a bit. It's also been really nice to have a guitar next to me all day to pick up in between meetings, love it.

I have become comfortable with working from home and I can stay focused without all of the distractions that occur when in an office setting. Our team seems to be doing pretty well with it, we are still very productive. I do not anticipate we will be returning to the office until nest year. Things have gone sideways here in AZ so our company is being very deliberate and cautious about how they bring people back to the office. We've already been told that our longer-term play is a mix of working from home and being in the office. Exactly how that will play out is still TBD.

My wife worked from home for about a month during April and she worked in the other room so distractions were minimal. I enjoyed having her at home with me but she has since returned to the office about a month ago.

rafasounds and Stonetone like this.
  18. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I generally enjoy my job and care about doing the best work I can, but I find that motivation and productlvity are elusive when I WFH. Also, for the first several weeks, my wife was WFH as well, but she's been back in her office for over a month now, and I find that being alone all day (except for the dogs) is a little rough. I never realized how important the daily face-to-face interaction of office life was to me, but now I know. I have a ton of meetings on an almost daily basis over WebEx and Zoom, but those are poor substitutes for the real thing.

We're having a staggered office return, and I've told my boss that I'm ready to go back as soon as it's practicable to do so.

All that said, I'm luckier than many whose jobs simply evaporated when things got bad, so I suppose I should stop complaining, count my blessings, and deal with it.

19. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

yeah same here working from home with MS teams our department efficiency has actually gone up I personally see no reason to ever go back to the office there is absolutely no need to go back, We are slated to work at home till September maybe later, but I suspect this will become permanent, I’m sure the bean counters are now realizing how much money they are saving and an increase in efficiency, in which I suspect was their biggest worry, as for co workers I still talk on MS teams and I really have no need to rub shoulders With them , the time and money I’m saving on gas is like getting a huge raise, and I also get more practice time since no commute and I work in my room so at lunch time Equals more practice, So for me there is no downside All positive aspects and hopefully they make this permanent :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    Eligius1976 and duzie like this.
  20. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

i never missed a day...out in the field...getting used to it..masks,gloves ect.... my new rules...if i can punch you in the head your too close to me...lol