Working from home - How is it working for you?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM.

1. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't know, for me work is work and home is home. I need the discipline of putting on my work clothes and going to work. Also, we have a big house but it's very 'open' and doesn't have a nice home office space where I could lock myself way. So maybe I would be better at WFH if I was more able to replicate a work-like environment.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

As soon as I find work again, I'll let you know. I think I'd like it, depending on what I'm doing.

www.PNG

3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

One thing I've been dealing with lately is that my internet connection has been unreliable - it has been randomly going down sometimes. I called my ISP a couple days ago, and they detected I'm getting a low signal at my house, so they're planning on sending a tech out tomorrow to look at it. Another company recently bought my ISP, which is when this issue started happening. I've heard I'm not the only customer affected by this. This is a bad time, with many people working from home due to the COVID situation..

4. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

And then you run out of data...

I have been a home based worker for a while now. It is hard to separate my personal life from professional. It is an awfully blurry line now. I work so I can live. I do not live to work.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

Although I would like a week or two at home, I know I'm blessed to have my job. I've worked tons of overtime during this season of Covid.

I don't think I'd like working from home. I like joking around and having fun on the job. Too isolated at home if I'm there morning, noon, and night.

duzie, Bowmap and CalicoSkies like this.
  6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

I agree, I work to live.
    What do you mean by "run out of data"? Do you use an internet service with limited data per month? That's one of the downsides - People generally have residential internet service at home, rather than corporate internet, and sometimes there's a significant difference. I'm facing an issue myself with an unreliable internet connection right now.. And if companies will want people to keep working from home, maybe companies will need to start reimbursing their employees for a business-tier internet service at home.

Eligius1976 and Bowmap like this.
  7. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

My company used to provide internet service. I had an office back then. The company closed a lot of offices to stay afloat in 2008 and that forced me to work from home. Employees now have to provide their own internet service. I have either satellite or cellular. Nothing hardwired out here except for POTS. My wife gets a 15GB hotspot. After that it throttles back to 3G or less. Covid has her working from home too every other week. I did an analysis and my work uses 15 to 20GB a month. So companies have found a way to transfer the cost of business onto the employee. Working from home is great for a company's bottom line.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-Talker

After 4 months, I've stopped wearing pants. And my playing has gotten a lot better (lunch practice and no commute time)

Unlikely to go back to the office in any meaningful way before 2021.

Setting up a network so my team can access hardware remotely.

If we return to "normal", I will lobby to have my team in a couple of days per week, instead of M-F.

I filled up the car for the first time since mid-February - it's almost July 1. It used to be every 2 weeks. That's a nice guitar right there.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    CalicoSkies likes this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Saving a lot of money, getting fatter and weirder.

10. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

With my company (a small law firm) I think we’ve discovered a few things, sometimes contradictory. 1) you can get a lot done from hime, and 2) your best work will be done with input for others. So I think the upshot is to be flexible. When this is over, let employees have their quality of life- for example, on a day you have to take your kid to the doctor, don’t bother coming in afterwards. Just stay home and work there. But from time to time let’s have a critical mass of people in the office working together.

11. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-Talk Member

Best place to work (without children in the studio););)

Attached Files:

CalicoSkies likes this.