Working out again

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Believer7713, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

My wife and I used to workout together quite a lot. We promised each other when we got married that we would hold each other accountable for how we take care of ourselves and we did a pretty good job. Then a few years ago she started school again. Her time was pretty much taken up with school and work so she had to cut some things out of her schedule. Though we did get her a few things like a motorized vari-desk so she could stand up while working and not be seated 10 hours a day.
    Me? I had no excuse other than I just plain got lazy. It wasn't as much fun as when we would workout together. I ended up gaining most of my injury weight back. I'm only 5'6" and was weighing over 180. Keep in mind I have a pretty broad build which is genetic in my dad's side but I'm about the smallest man in the whole family. None of them are overweight either except for my dad. Though he is only slightly overweight at 78 years old and barely able to walk due to Parkinson's Disease.
    A couple months ago my wife completed her degree and we started working out again. Paying attention wo what foods we are putting into our bodies and the results are starting to show. I can see my jaw line, rib lines and for the first time in a couple years I put on a pair of 30 inch waisted Levi's 501 jeans today! I now weigh about 172 and am feeling great again. My knee is getting stronger after 9 surgeries, along with the rest of me.
    If anyone else is working on anything health and fitness I would invite you to sign in and keep a running tally for some support and encouragement here.

2. Believer7713

This is my workout facility in the basement too.
    20211003_211122.jpg 20210919_185236.jpg
    20210919_185248.jpg
    20210919_185257.jpg

3. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats on your weight loss. Looks like you have a really great workout area too. I hope you have some stereo down there to crank up. That always helped to keep me working harder. Cheers.

4. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

January 1st 2021, I decided I was done with neutral position.

i decided to give myself a 6 months challenge to go from 253 to 203. There was MANY ups and downs, people that try to make you quit for different reasons, days where you just want to give it up etc.

287AEBB0-6687-4132-A170-13AF48756DC3.jpeg

Right now I'm coasting at 209 and looking to ultimately hit 195

Archtops, albala, henderman and 8 others like this.
  5. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

abnormaltoy and Believer7713 like this.
  6. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

During Covid I lost 60 pounds +. On our last vacation I could barely squeeze into the secret staircase at the House of the Seven Gables in Salem Massachusetts. That was quite embarrassing. I also got quite dizzy, a first. So I cut out all junk food and I try to avoid processed foods. Feel much better, and sleep better. I always try to stay active.

Chuck8436, bbarott, StratUp and 3 others like this.
  7. Believer7713

I was pretty stagnate during the covid lock down but my last checkup had me getting tired of being slightly overweight and having my cholesterol just high enough that I have to go back at 6 months instead of a year. I also am trying to work out as much of the problems of my knee as I can.
    @Ferpie keep it up brotherman.

Ferpie, abnormaltoy and Stratbats like this.
  8. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Hey, good for you. 30” waist, I’m jelly mines 33”.

abnormaltoy and Believer7713 like this.
  9. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talk Member

It's encouraging to read about you fantastic musicians taking care of yourselves. This offers the promise of many more years of music; a bonus for us all.

My wife and I today completed our 2-3 mile walk for the 572nd consecutive day. We make time to stroll together even when one of us is gone; we connect on the phone and talk while we walk. In addition to the health benefits, our relationship is blossoming; a blessing at this relatively later stage in life.

I'm just north of 60 years old; at 6' 2" I'm back at my college weight of 195 lbs. All of this helps me enjoy playing, writing / recording music, and rocking the basement. I'm still not a good enough player to play and jump around like Pete Townsend. But if I could, I wouldn't get winded.

Rock on, y'all!

3bolt79, PeteGeordie, bbarott and 6 others like this.
  10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I dropped 27 in the last 5 months and looking to drop another 25 or so in the next 5.

3bolt79, Archtops, bbarott and 8 others like this.
  11. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

I've gone from "Oh my God...he's coming this way" to only immense.

Longish story, but after quitting smoking I went from 225 up to 312 on Christmas of 2018 one year later, Christmas of 2019, I had lost 62 lbs. Then, even though my lifestyle didn't change drastically during the shutdown, I gained a bit back...again up to 272...where I've been stuck (had been stuck) until my recent trip to visit my grandson. In that month I lost 12 lbs. When I got back home I started the same routine I was in over the course of 2019...I'll keep it up, because I have a purpose now...
    So, I'm looking to get to 215-205...I'm 6'2"ish (depending on how beat down I feel that day). I've always been able to shed weight/ gain muscle fairly easy...once I set my mind to it. Now...I'm old-ish, we'll see how hard it is.

12. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

slowly but surely, since my heart failed a year ago, ive been doing what i can to get stronger.
    its been a real beeyotch.
    but ive made some serious improvements.
    not long ago i did a 5k ruk with about 60 pounds of added weight in the hottest part of the summer.
    ive put down cigarettes and have continued to eat nothing but "superfoods".
    i was down to about 160 but now since ive gained muscle im at a very comfortable 180. and im 6"1.
    soon ill be doing 1 handed pushups on my knuckles again.
    ive not been lifting weights....instead i use body resistance only. i dont feel the need to get big.
    its been a hard road too. especially with the meds im on. soon ill be off of those too. those things really take it out of you.

3bolt79, Archtops, EC Strat and 9 others like this.
  13. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

Was going to the gym 2-3 times a week for decades until recent events. Haven't been in 18 months, but itching to get back. Lost 30 pounds as an ongoing effort dating back to spring of 2019. I cycle over 100 miles a week and try to walk a couple of miles each day. Job is a lot of sitting.

14. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I will start with I have always been "husky"/"big-boned" since I was a kid. I had to work like hell to stay under 186 when I was in the military. Driving a desk for 30 years didn't help me and I retired in February at the weight of 270. Since I no longer had an excuse for not exercising, I started walking 3 miles everyday and eating more sensibly. I was doing great until my house flooded in May. Most of my exercise now is related to working on my house, but it is getting close to being finished, so I am hoping to restart my daily walking in a few weeks. I have lost about 30 pounds so far. My ultimate goal is to get down to about 220. I have already gone from 42" inch jeans to 38" and have had to punch several new holes in my belts.

Representative Starting point
    hqdefault.jpg

Hopeful Ending Point
    8434bb3bf0970f5efcdd53f93fd08194.png

TOL-STRAT, 3bolt79, Archtops and 7 others like this.
  15. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Well done! I have totally fallen off the diet and exercise wagon and need to get back on.

stormsedge and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

I started the Spring of 2021 at nearly 200 lbs (90 kg). I am a touch over 5'9" (176 cm).
    In April I started walking every morning... about 6 km (roughly 4 miles).
    Now I am running 5 km (with an extra km of walking at the end) six days each week. Down to 79 kg (~173 lbs). It was a lot of work, but well worth the effort.
    I feel much better... and hoping to keep the weight off throughout the winter.

All the best to all of you trying to shed a few lbs/kgs.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  17. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Awesome!! I lost 120+ lbs about five years ago. Fighting the last 5 tooth and nail, woke up 172 today. Keeping it off is a lot harder than losing it in the first place. I quit going to the gym when covid hit and am about ready to restart. While I've managed OK with the weight my abs have gone to hell and I need to get 'em back. Planning a hard core cardio program (running and cycling). I'm a little over 5'10" and need to bring it down to 165 to get to my best climbing weight.

18. Believer7713

We are coming into a season where the bikes aren't feasible here. I could still do it for a while yet but soon it will be too cold for me. I miss running more than anyone will know but I never got that ability back after having my leg broke by that car in 2011. When I was in high school, I ran 15 miles a day 7 days a week. Through college I dropped to 10 most days but had my moments where I would up it as much as I could.
    Now, I can only run if a bear is chasing me or to the potty. The shot that my knee took mixed with having it replaced then revised pretty much crushed the idea of doing anything like that again. Just before it happened I was back up to 5 to 6 miles a day.

19. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I need to

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

[​IMG]

Exercise is good for you.

Nate D, 3bolt79, Archtops and 7 others like this.