Working out again

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Believer7713, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Nothing like 16 oz. arm curls!!!!!!

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster

I'm at 203...want to get something below 190 (any less is hard to keep off). We have a fairly good selection of home gym equipment, scooping some pieces up at lockdown to replace going to the Y daily. My running days are over, but I have a bicycle for every occasion.

Edit: I've worked out in one form or another for >40yrs. I sold my heavy weights and rack abt ten years ago to preserve my joints. We replaced it with an FTS, dumbbells and a multigym. At ~5'10"...the 190 is ~15 on the heavy side for height (according to the internet experts), but I'm not gonna torture myself over it against muscle mass.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    3bolt79, bbarott and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Running is really hard for me and I'm sure I'll walk on Mars before I run a half M. I was doing the trailrunning thing last year and faceplanted hard. Knocked me out cold, was by myself, how I didn't lose teeth I'll never know but I woke up a bloody mess on the trail. Pissed me off and I finished it out. Quite sure I looked like something out of the Walking Dead but it did give me pause to reconsider my options. I would like to ramp it up again but I need to be really careful. Still cycling about 100 miles/week but my pace isn't what it was. Core and abs probably. October and most of November are doable here in Georgia but the rest of the winter here is sketchy, there are days it can be done with the right gear and there are days better spent indoors. I've come to the conclusion that winter is for not losing what you did in the summer.

4. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Outstanding. All I can say is don't set too hard on an ultimate goal just yet, when you hit 220 just keep going. You will possibly blow right through that without noticing and you won't believe the difference.

I had to dump the beer and the rest of the carbs to do it. But it's a good trade.

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Unfortunately even doctors are still using the ancient BMI chart as an indicator for appropriate weight which is too simplistic. Anyone who has done weight training for any length of time would be considered overweight according to the BMI even at low body fat levels. The better indicator IMO is to measure lean body mass and determine your % of bodyfat. Acceptable levels vary but generally under around 20% would be considered healthy.

BNI.jpg

Chuck8436, 3bolt79, Archtops and 4 others like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster

Concur. I was responsible for the Navy's PRT program for a period of time. The very muscular folks (vice just overweight) were often at odds with the old standards. I think they've begun to use more science and sense in the last few years. I fought to stay below my 191 max, especially as I lifted more and aged.

abnormaltoy and bbarott like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

According to BMI I have always been underweight, but as far as I'm concerned it's my natural weight and it rarely fluctuates (covid lockdowns not included).

8. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Believer, good on ya for getting back in the groove. I'm you height and wish I could get back into 30" waste jeans again. At my age, ain't gonna happen. The bike is my savior, 60 minutes a day, 6 days a week year round (life in Florida is tough).

The situation with your leg must make cardio hard. I use a quality rower too in inclement weather, but that requires good knee flexibility. How about swimming? It's the least impact on joints, maybe a winter Y membership? Considering you're lucky to be alive, it's all good in perspective. Peace- TP

9. telepraise

Damn brother, you're becoming a real monster! If you can do a 5k with 60lbs in summer, your heart doctor must have done a hell of job! You get one of those bionic hearts? Congrats on your continued healing. I know what you mean about the meds, my brother's on them. Rock on!

10. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

well, it wasnt a run, it was a ruk...just walking. but yeah, the docs did a really good job. they didnt know for sure if my heart would get stronger because it was very weak...as a matter of fact, the aortic valve was practically non existant and the ejection fraction was less than 15%. they could not explain medically how i was still alive.
    but ya see, i have this problem...its called "being more stubborn than 10 ornery mules", and i refused to believe it would not strengthen. that same stubbornness is more than likely what kept me alive. that, and the restraining order satan still has on me from that stuff i did the time i died back in my super duper rock n roll days.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and telepraise like this.
  11. Believer7713

Dude!!! No one here has a better comeback story than you!!! Yours really puts mine into a perspective that, even though I can't discredit how bad it was, it could have been a lot worse. I have been truly blessed to be where I am but the miracle of modern medicine has really given you a ton to be thankful for.

12. telepraise

Jeez, 15%? You're a walking miracle! I'm assuming you didn't tell your cardiologist about your little 5 mile stroll. Taking care of your body will lengthen your life and I'm sure your mom is happy that you are. Your willpower is amazing. I can't help but think maybe the big guy has a hand in this. Stay well brother. Now get back on those pushups!

13. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

mom was pretty happy. this us something my mom wrote on her facialbook page right after the surgery.
    Screenshot_20211006-105132.png

14. Believer7713

I am definitely feeling it today. There is a pain in my chest and shoulders that I haven't felt in several years. This week I went from a three day a week regimen to a 5 day regimen. Last night was chest and shoulders. Three sets of incline bench press (10 reps each @ 115lbs) followed by three sets of decline bench press (10 reps each @125lbs) and 3 sets of flat bench press (9 reps each due to fatigue (125lbs). Then 3 sets of cross body front shoulder raises (10 reps each @20 pounds), 3 sets of back shoulder raises (10 reps each @20 lbs), 3 sets of straight front shoulder raises (10 reps each @15 lbs. with a 3 second pause at the top) and 3 sets of lateral straight arm shoulder raises (10 reps @ 10 lbs. with a 3 second pause at the top of each. Plus I threw in three sets of roman chair sit ups for good measure. Then I went for a 1.25 mile walk with my wife so she could get out of the house and have a good warmup before going down to the gym herself.
    Dinner was 2 salmon filets, a salad with minimal (about 3/4serving) Italian dressing and a biscuit.

This working out over 45 stuff ain't no joke!!! I'm not really tired this morning but I do feel it everywhere. Including the leg workout I did two days ago.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. Believer7713

So there is an update today that I'm quite proud of.
    It was rather cool out this morning so I wrote a pair of jeans in to work today instead of my normal shorts. I figured I would be wearing them most of the day since I hate wearing the uniform pants that are provided. The reason I don't like the pants is because unlike jeans that stretch in a you treat them the uniform pants have no give whatsoever over the course of the day. If they are 30 inches at the beginning of the day, they are 30 when you take them off.
    I don't know what made me think to try them on but they fit without having to suck it in! Not only did they fit but by the end of the day my hips wren killing me like they did in the spring. I'm actually back into a real 30" waistline!
    I'm squatting 3 sets of 10 reps at 200 pounds
    Quad extensions 10 reps @80 pounds
    Ham curls 3 sets of 10 @ 55 pounds
    And calf raises 3 sets of 10 @ 200 pounds.
    Plus I'm now only 6 pounds away from my goal weight of 165 pounds as of Sunday morning. I will also go for at least a 2 mile walk shortly.

abnormaltoy and jimrockcity like this.
  16. jimrockcity

jimrockcity New Member!

Thanks for sharing, this is a great thread.

A month or two ago I started regular 16-hour fasting, two weeks ago I started going to the chiropractor and this weekend I resumed the habit of taking 30 minute walks.
    I’m down to 170lbs for the first time in probably 15 years.

Believer7713 and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. Believer7713

That's great news!
    One of my goals is to get back to being able to get the extra days off at work for being able to stay in shape. Twice a year I can get 2 days off paid leave for being able to walk 2.3 miles in 30 minutes or less. If I could still run, it would be 2 days off for running 1 5/8 miles in somewhere around 13 1/2 minutes for my age range. I won't ever worry about that though because I'll never be able to run that kind of distance again with my knee in the shape it's in.
    Though another good effect from working out and walking again is that my knees don't bother me nearly as much as I thought they would. 6 weeks ago I could barely traverse the stairs in the mornings. Now I feel pretty great.

18. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

You ain't kidding...my chesticles are killing me.

Believer7713 likes this.
  19. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I can't do the gym anymore, so cycling for me. That boring repetition. And finding the right work out partner to alternate sets, nobody wants to put the weight on a bar, do a set and then take it off for the partner, then put it back on the bar. It is what it is, not lazy, but be in the ballpark for strength. Even the machines, moving that pin up & down is just too much every other set.

20. Believer7713

I normally lift by myself unless my wife and I go to one of the Department gyms because even though the basement gym looks big enough it is tight with 2 seven foot bars. I end up stack amd stripping my own bars after each push. Then, the next day I end up stripping the bars after my wife does her sets too because she doesn't like to. No worries though, I use that as part of my warm up. Lol
    I also learned very quickly that leaving the bar stacked when I am done is unwise. She strips ot but isn't strong enough to lift the 45 pound plates up to the hanging peg. Ever try to pick up a 45 pound bumper plate that's laying flat on the floor?:confused:

Jimbo99 likes this.