Working out again

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Believer7713, Oct 5, 2021.

1. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I used to run 5 days a week, or bike ride at speed for an hour, or lift weights. 4 miles was my running limit and never two days in a row. Beyond that level I had leg issues that would take weeks to recover from. But after an accident and a layoff for a year or more, those problems became much worse. So running is out now. I can walk/hike for one to eight hours (with breaks... it's enjoyment, not a sentence). But running is out.

Doesn't excuse me from not resuming bike riding or upper body work. You fall out of the habit and it's hard to restart. The pandemic killed my restarted gym/lifting program... and I'm not working out in any rooms with other people at this point. I managed to make my diet different and controlled a few years ago, which keeps my weight down close to where I need to me, but I'd still like to drop ten pounds.

I'll try to use this thread as inspiration to get back into the flow.

abnormaltoy and Believer7713 like this.
  2. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-O-Master

Amen. Your mom knows what's up. Will pray for continued strengthening.

Believer7713 and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

Congrats on the weight loss. I did it back 12 years ago and got down to 166 from 202. I used the Power 90 workout.
    Now my current routine is the COVID + Beer workout. I’m back up to 185. Yikes!

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I'm picturing you at the gym in the bunny suit. :D

Nate D and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Holy **** dude, you look buff! I am 6ft 2in. And I weigh 290lbs. Most of it around the middle. I take meds that cause me to be heavy. When I started on the meds I was 260 and I got up to 330lbs. If I could get rid of the meds my weight would drop. When I changed meds I lost 40lbs in a few months.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

Just wanted to share a snippet of my fitness story. There won't be much context here, this will be condensed. I've been 6'1 since I was 14.
    At age 15, I weighed over 300 lbs. I made the decision to lose weight, ran 3 miles a day and eventually became a vegetarian. In a year, I weighed 180. But then I became anorexic. By 17, I weighed 150, eating only 200 calories a day and still running 3 miles a day. I was a weakling. Couldn't even bench the bar. Not even one rep.

At 20, I broke my hip in a car accident and started gaining weight. I was in a wheelchair for a while and on crutches for a while longer. I started lifting weights and became stronger, but I also went back to eating meat, I drank 6 beers a day and ate a lot of garbage. Buffets, takeout. One year ago, age 26, I weighed 300 lbs again. And I decided again to make a change. Ran 3 miles a day, lift every other day. I'm a vegetarian again, but I consume around 2500 calories a day. I now weigh 205. I want to get back down to 180 though.

When it comes to my waist it went from 40 at 15 to 27 at 17, to 44 last year, and now it's at 36. 36 is fine, but 34 would be better. That last 20 lbs doesn't want to come off. I have to cut out all the cheese.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Believer7713 and Archtops like this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

Good job!

8. Chuck8436

Thanks! Exercising sucks, but the results are worth it. Nutrition is the key though. I don't really miss meat. But I don't know if I can live without cheese.

abnormaltoy and Archtops like this.
  9. Chuck8436

I'm still considered overweight for my height and I can't seem to lose anymore weight. I do lift though. I just want to get down to 185. Which I think is on the borderline for what qualifies as overweight for my height. Your chart lines up, I'm 6'1 205 lbs

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

Those pics aren't actually me, but I feel like I looked like the first picture, but I am not that big - that guy is probably 350+. I would like to look like the second pic but I don't work out. I am 5' 10" and I haven't weighed less than 200 in 20+ years. The 30 pounds I lost so far have made a big difference in my appearance, but still have a bunch of weight to lose. If I wore my 80's Spandex it would be like a wrist band on me.

abnormaltoy and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

That thing is too hot!...both literally and figuratively. Lol
    I might be able to make it happen though if I have enough feedback.

abnormaltoy and Ebidis like this.
  12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Well, I ain't comin' back..but I dropped to 197 this week. That's 30lbs in 4 months. At least they won't need such a big box to bury me.

And with the gal out of town for the new grandson's arrival, I'll probably drop another 5-8 just because someone won't be waitin' on me hand and foot.

13. Believer7713

My history:
    I was always the small guy. I was 5'7" when I graduated high school. Weighed 130 lbs. and wore a 32" waist. Yep, I was the result of 2 runts procreating.
    I was also a 4 sport athlete playing a sport for every season...football, wrestling, baseball and track. I also ran an average of 15 miles a day 7 days a week. I should have had a 22 inch waistline but I was also the son of a farm girl that was also a professional baker so I ate a lot...I mean a lot!
    When I was in college, my high school girlfriend broke up with me and I went off the deep end with destroying myself. Drinking heavily, started smoking and eventually quit running. Was up to 3 1/2 packs of smokea for several years.
    That started in 1994. In 2006 I finally put the cigarettes down. That same year I had a wakeup call when both of my parents had triple bypass surgeries within 6 months of each other. So I started working out and running again. It was always the on again/off again struggle because I just couldn't find the passion for it like I used to have. Finally, I started running again and met my wife who wanted to run a 5K for the first time. While I was helping her train, I was hit by that car at the checkpoint and broke my leg. That ended my running career for good. Now...if a bear is chasing me I will run but I will never run for fitness again.
    That break left me on crutches and in a wheelchair for 7 months. It took 9 surgeries, over 9 years under 5 surgeons. In 7 of those surgeries I was completely opened up to put my leg back together. I had a total knee replacement that failed and had to have a total knee revision to make it right finally. I can now finally say that my knee is as close to being right as it ever will be and I can finally walk without a limp.
    Now I am working on building some mus le mass back up in that leg from the 10 years of atrophy. The progress is slow and painful but it is paying off. I now pay attention to what I eat because o don't want to have the same fate as my parents medically and losing the weight has made my knees feel and work a ton better.
    I am currently at 171 pounds and 20% body fat and am eating at a deficit to cut down to 165. My goal weight is to be at 165 with 12 to 14% body fat.

abnormaltoy and Archtops like this.
  14. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I always stripped the bar down after using a workout station and moving on to the next & finishing. And yeah, picking up a 45 lber from flat on the floor is that finger muscle super sets.

15. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

Best of luck Believer!

16. Believer7713

Thank you!
    I woke up today and was still feeling the workout on my legs from 2 days ago. That means 2 things. One, I need to move more and not use my knee as an excuse anymore. Two, I'm working out hard enough now. I started slow and took it easy to start getting back into the swing of it.
    My plan was to hit the abs and core today but a nerve-racking experience at the dentist may make postpone it until tomorrow. I just had a root canal done because the nerve in one tooth was dying and became infected. Thankfully it stayed contained in the tooth because I have those metal implants. The last thing need is to have the infection get into the blood stream because it can collect at the sites of the implants. If that were to happen then I would require surgery in 2 sites to remove the plate in my neck and my knee. I don't need the neck plate (see what I did there? :cool:) anymore but I really don't want my knee removed again... just to have it put back in in 6 to 8 weeks. Discounting the obvious, I would have to start all over again with the workout regimen and would be set back at least another year. There was nothing wrong with the tooth at all other than the nerve just died... no cavity, no crack, good bone structure. Just a dead nerve that infected and gave me a week's worth of headaches. 5 hours later, the numbing agents have almost worn off so I'm feeling like I just got a tooth knocked out in a boxing match.

Archtops and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

6'1", 195, 36 waist: all about the same as high school.

At one time, I weighed 270. Everything was a chore. No chance these days my old knees could lug around that sort of meat. I was doing tree work then. When I shoved stuff, it moved, so that was good.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 6:00 PM
  18. Believer7713

Today, I started with a 1 mile walk, then core work (abs, back and obliques) and Romain deadlifts.
    20211014_185716.jpg
    I have a true love hate relationship with this contraption. I love to hate it but then I hate to admit that I love what it does for a core workout.
    20211014_184733.jpg

Archtops likes this.