worship...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by gcconspiracy, Aug 2, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

my wife and I were asked to lead worship at our church this morning, and instead of pulling out the acoustic/piano combo, I played my strat, and my wife played her jazz bass! It was a blast, and it was very well received (we tried to be very sensitive... just clean tones with some compression). Anyways, I was just super excited about this, and thought I might share it with you guys.

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

Fun, Fun, Fun to get to play anywhere you can. Glad you both enjoyed it.

3. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

My guitar partner plays his CV Tele at his church through his SuperChamp XD, gets a real nice clean tone going on.

4. Zapher

Zapher Strat-Talk Member

Is it a big church or just one of those small american ones?

Imagine the reverb in one of those bigger stone churches. *drool*

5. gcconspiracy

yeah, I play my Squier Deluxe through a vox ADVT30... and I'm quite pleased with the clean tones!

Yeah, just a small church, though it would be amazing to play in something with such massive acoustic properties

absolutely... plus it's kinda cool when two of my biggest passions can merge (God, and guitar)

6. Strawfoot

Strawfoot Strat-Talker

Glad to hear it :)

7. choronzon777

choronzon777 Strat-Talk Member

Next week blast out some Petra - that will wake 'em up ;)

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Part of my approach to lead guitar in church is to show how electric guitar can sound just as regal and majestic as any traditional instrument. It must be working, because I get tons of octagenarians coming up to me saying how they were "so blessed" by my playing - even though I was incorporating influences from Hendrix and Clapton to Rush and Eric Johnson...
    It's funny when the older generation sees you in front of the church with one of those "devil boxes" (electric guitar) - they get immediately defensive; then you play some beautiful, shimmering chords with a little delay, chorus and natural reverb and "the walls come a 'tumblin' down...";)

9. gcconspiracy

yeah baby... maybe we'll pull out "beyond belief" next time... or possibly "this means war"! That'll keep them from asking us back!

yeah, I was a little worried as to what the response might be, but I got the hugest compliments from the oldest people in the church! I think I blew their minds by playing something pleasing to their ears on an instrument that usually makes their hearing aides explode!

10. GuitarSmithTN

GuitarSmithTN Strat-Talker

I've been playing in churches -- both Catholic and Protestant -- regularly for many years. Tasteful playing (+ Spirit-led) is the way to go (don't always succeed...). There are times and settings I can rip and times when TR's approach really adds a lot. I've sat in a majestic Presbyterian church while the little organist rehearsed and...it ROCKED. Improvisational bass lines + soaring melodic lines which made a stack of Marshalls (almost) sound like a little buzzing fly. Kindred spirit.

One week I was playing some little legato lines, tone rolled back, tasty wobble arm, and one of the older folks heard it in the hallway and commented to one of my friends, "Is that a bagpipe??" I'm now "breakin' out the pipes" on a regular basis...One of the nicer compliments I've ever received...

11. ToneRanger

Funny thing in my church is that I actually rip leads as much as I do the atmospheric stuff - you gotta have a balance - but when I do rip it's usually in that soaring melodic vein like you'd hear from Rush, Eric Johnson or Boston - and they still love it!
    Of course sometimes I get really into it and my wife cringes as she remembers that I can play with my teeth, behind my head, behind my back - and she's terrified I'm gonna just completely let loose all the way one Sunday morning... [​IMG]
    I usually do the bagpipe thing with a combo of E-bow and volume pedal - sometimes even slide w/ E-bow. I'll throw in little hints of melodies from old hymns in the midst of modern praise songs and it's funny to watch the lightbulbs of recognition go off on people's faces....

12. GuitarSmithTN

Nice, TR!

Many of the modern worship songs are more of a major scale feel, (How many G-Dsus-Em7-C2 progressions are there? Of course, add in a walk down to Am7 and maybe an occasional F2). It's kind of funny to hear some well-intentioned wanker noodle in the G Blues scale boxes over it... ; )

I played a tune recently that was basically a ZZ Top riff -- pretty fun.

13. gcconspiracy

wow... cool to hear you guys' thoughts on worship. I'm definitely not as experienced, but am loving the learning process. I'm finding that the sensitivity I've gained from worship makes for some killer dynamics when I play heavier stuff!

-gcc
    ps - have you guys ever heard much Lincoln Brewster? I've been listening to a lot of his stuff, and we recently did a song by him called "All I Really Want"... it was VERY well received, and included some fun guitar bits too!

14. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

I can't get a clean tone out of an ADVT30, these are always effected by their amp modeling ??? How do you do it ?

15. ToneRanger

Lincoln Brewster is a freakin' MONSTER - he used to tour with Steve Perry of Journey - he can really throw down some seriously ripping leads - many times in the Eric Johnson/SRV/Robben Ford - simultaneously soulful and technical.
    The amazing thing is he gets this killer tube tone out of a Line6 Pod XT Live straight to the sound board!
    YouTube - Lincoln Brewster jam - CMS@Overlake 2007

16. GuitarSmithTN

Lincoln is a great player.

I've been running a POD Pro direct into the board for 10 years and can get some great tones. (of course, I also use stomp boxes) If I need live monitoring, I have a small PA (and use one 15" cab and one 12" cab) and it sounds huge. The way my rig is set up I can play anywhere and just give the sound guy an XLR out of my (post) rack EQ and tell him just to set my channel flat -- the signal he gets is the same one I run through my monitors. In other words, it's virtually impossible for someone to screw my sound up. I also match all the levels on my amp settings (programs) and have a low impedance (line level) volume pedal rigged between my final output and the board/monitor rig set for a 6dB increase to boost my fills and solos without changing the tone. Man, I wish I could have used this 20+ years ago. And if I do studio work, "Here's my XLR out, sir."

17. ToneRanger

That's very similar to how I'm set up only I'm using a Line6 Flextone III XL - I just go XLR out to the soundboard, and there's a small trim pot on the back of the amp to govern how hot of a signal goes to the board. Regardless of how loud or quiet my amp is on stage my soundguy gets a consistent signal. My stage sound is set just loud enough to get sympathetic vibration when I lean into the amp but no louder - all my other monitoring is done in-ear with an Aviom system. I initially thought I'd hate being in-ear, but having that small amount of stage sound allows the amp and guitar remain interactive and makes it work and feel "alive" without driving the soundman out of his mind trying to balance stage sound with house sound...

18. GuitarSmithTN

Same set up with me, TR. I've gotten used to and love in-ears. At one church I can't have any stage volume so I leave my monitor PA at home. It's actually like playing in a recording studio and I can hear every note (and mistake) clearly and generally have a mix heavy with my guitar, drums, bass, and then the lead vocal. Very easy to be dead-on with your time, etc. Some guys "hate in-ears" but I suspect it's because they have gotten used to masking their playing slop with loud drums, amps, etc. and to hear your playing clearly matched against the drummer can be humbling...

If I have to use floor monitors, I generally take my guitar down in that mix and set my 12" floor monitor next to it so I can have my perfect tone and level (and stick the 15" behind me to move some air...). Many times your stuck with sub-mixes with several players and you can't have your guitar at the level you need -- I just adjust the volume on my own floor monitor and I'm good to go.

19. platypibri

platypibri Senior Stratmaster

Back in my College days, the Maranatha Red Book was still the golden standard and Vineyard music was just coming on the scene. And I was playing bass on the college worship team with a like minded guitarist. There was a popular song called "I Love Your Grace" that allowed us to riff on parts of Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart" under it (minus the talk box stuff). We also used Joe Satriani's "Summer Song" intro to kick off a song called "Jesus, Mighty God". He and I had great fun for a couple years dropping various song references into our playing. Ah, I miss those days.

20. ToneRanger

My biggest issue with going in-ear was losing the interaction between the amp and the guitar - a lot of my technique includes letting notes hold and feedback (tastefully - not out of control) - getting the notes to sustain and jump to that sweet, high harmonic. By allowing me to keep my amp close and pumping just enough sound/air to move the strings but not so loud as to compete with the house sound I can lean in close and get those sweet spots when I need them...