Join Strat-Talk Today

Worst Covers

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Wrighty, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Well, never liked it much anyway but by yours and others comments it doesn’t deserve it!

2. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

you are right,Mathis is terrible, but it’s better than a Pat Boone version I’m sure.

4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

Thats a Swedish pop group

5. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

I am fully aware of who the Cardigans are.

6. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Strat-Talker

Nick Evans likes this.
  7. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Wow, that's some hardcore research right there....

I agree with your 'differences', but I don't particularly mind the byrds version of Mr Tambourine man, yet I agree that Dylans version is more haunting. As you say, some overlap with opinions, but boy oh boy.... you pretty much nailed it. with Disturbed, Metallica, Bad Wolf AND Tina.
    Proud Mary should be left alone. as should sounds of silence. I doubt anyone could ever best the original versions.

dirocyn likes this.
  8. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

No research at all, somebody played those covers when I was listening and they all annoy me.

Disturbed most of all, and there's another thing about it that really bothers me a lot. In the original, "because a vision softly creeping/left its seeds while I was sleeping" it's 11335565/11335565. The arpeggio + 6th creates this feeling of rising tension, a tension that is deliberately left unresolved to enhance the sense of anxiety and isolation the song as a whole is intended to portray.

Disturbed's version, it's 11335565/87653165. It's almost the whole damn major scale. Symbolic of...pretty flowers or gentle rain--and he does it with this arrogant expression on his face. Look how well I can use a major scale in a vocal run, I'm better than everyone else. Whatever the symbolic meaning, it breaks the tension. And that misused scale gets used every verse. That part bugs me, even more than all the macho posturing. Which, let's be real, the macho posturing bugs me a lot. Oh, you're yelling angrily about how everyone is too afraid to say anything. If you disturb the silence (or maybe if you don't) then he'll kick yer ass. With pretty flowers, maybe?

Anyhow, yes. I really really dislike that cover.

JB74 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.