Would an unlimited gear budget be boring?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Sep 23, 2020.

1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

If everyone sends me a donation, we could find out

simoncroft and StummerJoe like this.
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Then you'd just wind up like this:
    [​IMG]

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I used to work in aviation and travelled several times to the Middle East. Walked into a hangar in Abu Dhabi and met the expat Engineering Manager working on the landing gear of a 747. The aircraft was being prepared for a respray. He told me that his boss, Crown Prince Sheik Al blahblah had bought it because Sheik whatsisname in the Emirate next door had two and he only had the one. This and similar experiences have always made me think, how do you cope with the sort of life where you can wake up everyday and buy, literally, anything on the market? Similar thing happened with a helicopter. I walked into a hangar and there was one chopper of the two in the fleet and an engine and gearbox. Seems what had happened was the owner had asked the crew to ready one of the two for a short flight the following week. It was used as we’d use a car, trips of ten miles to go to a camel race were common. Anyways, there was a minor fault on the aircraft but the guy was adamant that he wanted to use that one. Without hesitation he ordered the maintenance crew to get a complete new engine and gearbox assembly installed. They tracked an assembly down to a place in Canada, paid far over the odds for it, (it would have been low $Millions anyway), got it shipped and installed by working 24/7. The old engine was still sitting in the corner of the hangar when I next visited, eight months later. It could still be there. To the owner it was petty cash, a bit like you or I leaving set of plugs on the bench. Unbelievable.

Hairy Bear, simoncroft and rafasounds like this.
  4. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

The only thing that would change for me is that I'd probably have some vintage guitars. I feel like amp wise, I'm happy. I get most excited about improving my playing with practice, and I learned a long time ago that new gear never makes me play better.

simoncroft likes this.
  5. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I would probably create a museum of gear, similar to what Bonamassa has but open to the public and a lot of it will be playable upon reservation

crashbelt and simoncroft like this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

If I had essentially "unlimited money" from winning the lottery or the like, I'd probably start a combination recording studio and guitar boutique. It would be a nice way to have a tax write-off while enjoying unlimited gear.

simoncroft and StummerJoe like this.
  7. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

He needs more Rosewood boards

8. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I would just buy my Marshall Class 5 back, maybe the MIJ ST-57 Strat back, and invest in an efficient man cave where I could jam, record, have friends over, all without disturbing anybody or being disturbed myself. Recording equipment would be my priority, but nothing too fancy, just reliable with good enough quality. Separate live room and mixing room, with the glass, good ventilation. A big couch. A friend of mine had pretty much all of this, but his "studio" had such a bad ventilation; the air in there was probably 15 years old.

It's not such an expensive or luxurious dream. I could get it under 50K in US dollars, especially where I live. For some 50k is pocket money, for some it's the realization of a life dream.

simoncroft likes this.
  9. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

I don't need anything expensive. I'd keep it pretty basic: "Hmmm, I think I need a new Squier. I think I'll see what they have in stock ...

... in beautiful Fiji!"

[​IMG]

10. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

There are some things I could get, but I'm seriously really happy with the gear I've got. I'd divert my unlimited gear budget to cover food and lodging so I could spend all my time playing the gear I already have!

rafasounds, simoncroft and duzie like this.
  11. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Yes. It would. All our tangible sh*t looses its luster eventually.

simoncroft likes this.
  12. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

I get this. When someone says “I bought X guitar”, all of the naysayers come out of the woodwork to say what a rube you are for paying that much for a bolted instrument. doesn’t bother me much, as their opinion is not driving my happiness.

I don’t think having an unlimited budget would be more or less boring. Certainly there will be more guitars with an unlimited budget, but I’m not sure the desire to just go into shops and play and choose would be there. The temptation would be to buy “everything” and then maybe play at home for a bit and then resell what one didn’t want. So, some of the fun I have had getting stuff would be lost.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    simoncroft likes this.
  13. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Aw Hell Naw! Unlimited gear, doesn't get any better than that. Rock and Roll Heaven. ENJOY!!!

14. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Unlimited budget? I would add a large studio with isolated rooms to my house then hire a decent engineer and record local bands.

15. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I think you can probably use an equation for this. The underlying concept is 'marginal satisfaction'. The idea is basically this: if you have one 1958 Les Paul, you'll be totally stoked for the rest of you life. By the time you've bought 10 of them, the last one won't mean anything like as much to you.

If I was smart enough to know, or even understand the equation,I'd post it!

brians and Blackmore Fan like this.
  16. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Need more practice, not more gear

himijendrix and Bowmap like this.
  17. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

Unlimited gear budget... hmmm... Is that before or after I acquire Gibson and Fender?

Ebidis likes this.
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I have 8 guitars, 2 basses, 5 amps, and various pedals. I guess I am at least as crazy as you, but compared to some other members here, we are amateurs.

brians, Thrup'ny Bit and Bowmap like this.
  19. Ebidis

After you acquire Fender, can I get an Ebidis signature model?

Thrup'ny Bit and Bowmap like this.
  20. Ebidis

You mean an egotistical *****?