Would it be worth the effort to track in different rooms in mi casa??

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
The practice room recording room is small like 12x10 and has 9 big homemade rockwool abosorbers, a few foam squares, carpeted and I hang moving blankets if I'm actually giving a ****. Totally flat ceiling makes it like a cube.

My bedroom has my bed in it, nothing else carpeted and has those ceilings with flat square then angles down, don't know what you call them... 11x13 but with the ceilings that are taller, then angled down to stud height.

Living room is same thing, the tall in the middle ceiling with vaulting down to stud height, has a fat ass couch and chair in there and a big stone fireplace facade and NO CARPETING. Has fake hardwood floor. 15x19 fat couch and chair, couple of bookcases full of books.

Do I just soldier on in the ittle room or is there anything to be gained by bigger? The sound absorber panels can be toted around and used in any way needed.
Put the guitar amps in the bedroom and close mic them.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
I'm not cool. I tend to build out of separate takes rather than as a band. Record drums with a click and if the drummer wants it play DI guitar or bass to get groove. If by accident the DI is awesome it might get used. Otherwise recording separately and smoosh them together later.
Whenever possible I prefer to record a live rhythm track with drums bass and guitars tracked together and the add the rest. I feel like I always get a better track this way.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
The practice room recording room is small like 12x10 and has 9 big homemade rockwool abosorbers, a few foam squares, carpeted and I hang moving blankets if I'm actually giving a ****. Totally flat ceiling makes it like a cube.

My bedroom has my bed in it, nothing else carpeted and has those ceilings with flat square then angles down, don't know what you call them... 11x13 but with the ceilings that are taller, then angled down to stud height.

Living room is same thing, the tall in the middle ceiling with vaulting down to stud height, has a fat ass couch and chair in there and a big stone fireplace facade and NO CARPETING. Has fake hardwood floor. 15x19 fat couch and chair, couple of bookcases full of books.

Do I just soldier on in the ittle room or is there anything to be gained by bigger? The sound absorber panels can be toted around and used in any way needed.

EDIT - didn't see how late to the party I was, over 2 weeks old....

Got a hallway coming off the living room? If so.....mic drums in the living room and another distance mic like 20 feet away, for natural room reverb......

Bass, guitar, that can all be done I think best with emulation and direct input.....

Vocals I think you want as dry a signal as possible so you can add your own ambient effects to suit the track....

Just my 2 cents

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
Whenever possible I prefer to record a live rhythm track with drums bass and guitars tracked together and the add the rest. I feel like I always get a better track this way.
I don't doubt that. Good players good room good gear good engineer and well rehearsed that would be preferable.

That ain't what we got over here. There are times that the arrangement is not settled and I just use what the drummer did to finalize.

If it had to have and accurate name it would be called the Make Do Studio.

We have little practice time, I write stuuf and make a recording, we listen to it fight our way through it, then start recording.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
I don't doubt that. Good players good room good gear good engineer and well rehearsed that would be preferable.

That ain't what we got over here. There are times that the arrangement is not settled and I just use what the drummer did to finalize.

If it had to have and accurate name it would be called the Make Do Studio.

We have little practice time, I write stuuf and make a recording, we listen to it fight our way through it, then start recording.
It’s a proven fact. A lot of the best record producers only record this way, including Buddy Miller, Dave Barbe, Daniel Lanois, Wilco, The Beatles, The Stones, etc,etc. getting the live feel of a band playing together is always superior to laying one track at a time to a click. Our latest release on Spotify was recorded this way.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
It’s a proven fact. A lot of the best record producers only record this way, including Buddy Miller, Dave Barbe, Daniel Lanois, Wilco, The Beatles, The Stones, etc,etc. getting the live feel of a band playing together is always superior to laying one track at a time to a click. Our latest release on Spotify was recorded this way.

Scott, already agreed it's the ideal. What do you want from me? I make music the best I can with what I have and who I have. I work within constraints to the best of my ability.

I'm deaf and that's not going to change I write decent tunes and I have some good guys to play with and I try to maximize but it's never going to be you.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
What do you want from me?

You do great things for any musician, let alone one who hears in mono via a cochlear implant. Details matter. When one doesn't know the details, their responses are irrelevant, and should be ignored.

Make your music your way. Ignore naysayers, blowhards and contrarians.

You do great work Brad. Keep doing what you're doing.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Scott, already agreed it's the ideal. What do you want from me? I make music the best I can with what I have and who I have. I work within constraints to the best of my ability.

I'm deaf and that's not going to change I write decent tunes and I have some good guys to play with and I try to maximize but it's never going to be you.
Everyone has to work with the tools they have available. You’re not doing anything wrong. I record a lot using drum loops and recording everything one track at a time, but I usually consider these as “demos”. Listening to the Engine, which I just posted was recorded a track at a time using drum loops.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Everyone has to work with the tools they have available. You’re not doing anything wrong. I record a lot using drum loops and recording everything one track at a time, but I usually consider these as “demos”. Listening to the Engine, which I just posted was recorded a track at a time using drum loops.
No harm no foul, Scott.

Here is an example of my doings: have a gig in two weeks. No rehearsals and it will be the first time the band is all in one room in about 6 weeks.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
No harm no foul, Scott.

Here is an example of my doings: have a gig in two weeks. No rehearsals and it will be the first time the band is all in one room in about 6 weeks