Join Strat-Talk Today

Would this stop you from buying

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by lukido86, Jun 19, 2019.

1. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

Hi all,
    I do have the possibility to pull the trigger on a rare bird in my area but something caught my eye so I wonder if it's reasonable.
    Condition is great, price is right.
    The low E string bridge saddle is not far from the maximum position, so there is not much room for tweaking the intonation.
    The guy says it's just back from his luthier for a full setup and new strings (including intonation).

Capture d'écran 2019-06-19 14.12.10.png

What do you think?

2. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Have you seen it in person? Might be a long screw there. Not a deal breaker for me.

midwestfisherma and Edbso like this.
  3. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't always trust someone else's work

if the neck is straight, it wouldn't hold me back

4. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Not a deal breaker for me. I agree with @albala in not trusting someone else's work, I'd check the intonation on the low e myself. If it's sharp at the 12th fret, you know you're going to have some work to do, which would factor into price negotiations.

I imagine shorter saddles would be the easiest fix. Or a shim the neck a little outward in the pocket.

If the intonation is good, don't worry about it. Just don't use a heavier E string.

sgarnett, Andrew Wasson and Ferpie like this.
  5. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

I can't see it first, it's an online offer.
    Given the price, I can totally get my money back if I sell it at one point.

rich815 likes this.
  6. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Is that a genuine Fender Strat — neck and body? If so, then perhaps the "luthier" who did that setup needs an adjustment! ;)

Otherwise, if the neck or body are not genuine Fender stuff, then it might be that either the scale of the neck, the neck mounting holes, or the bridge posts themselves are off.

Smig likes this.
  7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

If the guitar is intonated properly (as it sits right now), and you have no plans to use a much different gauge of strings, it is fine.

Really, once the guitar is intonated, it really doesn't need to be messed with ever again (unless you change guage or the neck radically bows).

Intonation adjustments are more a matter of personal touch than an exact science. If i press harder on a string than the next player, the intonation would be off for one of us.

Personally , I think we guitarists are a little bit ocd on the subject , and it is usually just fine the way it is .

Think of the poor tele players with the original type of bridge! How do they manage? Just fine. They manage just fine.

So long as the twelfth fret is the middle of the string, it's good to go.

Miotch, JP68, Stratoskater and 6 others like this.
  8. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Need to see the whole thing really.
    Can't really make judgement just based on that one pic, I think
    and this...

rich815 and TangerineDog like this.
  9. dirocyn

This is a really good point. I won't pass judgment on authenticity, particularly based on only one photo that doesn't show the whole thing. I have no idea what this guitar is supposed to be, other than that it looks like a Strat type trem & pickguard. Clearly there's not room for much saddle spring on that low e. Which makes me think something is off--specifically, the neck and bridge are just almost too close together (assuming intonation IS right, of course). Saddles too long, neck pocket cut too far towards the bridge, bridge posts in the wrong place.

10. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

This is a 93' Fender strat plus, all original, I cannot spot any problem elsewhere.

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

no problem. looks like ya have about 1/16 inch of travel. that's a loooong way on the E 1st..

r

BigNorm, Miotch, chrimturn and 4 others like this.
  12. dirocyn

Okay, yep. That looks like the same bridge & saddles as this one: https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/20296-fender-strat-plus-1993-vintage-white

Notice the huge difference in saddle placement, in your pic the saddles are 4-5mm further back. If everything is genuine (and I have no real reason to think it's not) this just about has to be an issue with the neck pocket being cut too far towards the bridge, and if it needs correcting it can be addressed with a shim.

13. Davey77

Davey77 Strat-O-Master

I have seen that countless times. If it has like 10's on it you will probably not be able to go with a lower gauge set. If it has 8's or 9's already and intonates fine than it would not stop me. On many Mex Fenders and Squier I have actually had to cut the spring to get more space, that one looks like it is cut or there is no spring. If a USA? I would have to think on it.

Jim H and Gobo Fraggle like this.
  14. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

like abala said if the neck is straight and you like that guitar go for it

Smig likes this.
  15. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

That low "E" saddle can sometimes end up being as far back as you can get it to intonate. There have been occasions where I had to remove or cut down the tension spring to get it right. So don't let that interfere with your decision.

mapleglo, jpmist and Gobo Fraggle like this.
  16. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

Just cause they say a luthier did a set up,,,doesn't mean a luthier did a set up

Very rarely have ever had a guitar i bought that i didnt change the set up anyway
    As long as its straight and good price the rest is easy

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  17. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

The bridge is probably at too high an angle, moving it towards the nut. I’ve come across this before and is simple to adjust properly.

18. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-Talker

Not a significant problem, I think. A longer screw or live with it. Good luck!

19. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

As the bridge plate wears away, the saddles will finally run out of travel.

8.jpg

20. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

if it needs more adjustment i would just remove some meat from the back of the saddle with a belt sander.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.