Join Strat-Talk Today

Would this stop you from buying

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by lukido86, Jun 19, 2019.

1. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

Oh yes, this is a possible reason

Jim H likes this.
  2. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

The guy contacted his luthier, who said he could not tell only from pictures.
    So tomorrow, the said luthier will tell the seller his opinion in front of the guitar.
    This is a nice seller!

So if we summarize, possible reasons would be :
    - neck pocket cavity routed too far towards the bridge
    - bridge pivots placed too close to the neck
    - wear on the bridge plate making the saddles going towards the neck
    (All that depending on an actual correct intonation setup)
    I think the last one is the most possible, and I hope it's that.

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

As long as it is properly intonated, it ain't no big thang! I have a couple of guitars that sit like that, and I can't put the little spring between the bridge ridge and the saddle, but it's all good.

Brian_ likes this.
  4. Jim H

Jim H Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

As I read Along I am thinking the same thing That davey77 said. I too have seen many fenders that the spring had to be cut to get that string back far enough. I always thought the fix is what he recommends but always wondered why it was so common.

5. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

The heavier the gauge of Low E, the farther back the saddle needs to go.

So you might need more back travel than when the guitar left the Fender factory with 9s.

6. Brian_

Brian_ Strat-Talk Member

If the intonation is spot on, no need to worry!

7. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

And I did pull the trigger!

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

@lukido86

One scenario that has not been mentioned is that the intonation may have been set with the pickups a little too high? There is one specific pup height that will just allow the magnets to barely pull a fretted note sharp, but not mess with the open/un-fretted string! Until you figure it out, this can be a real tail chaser! :eek:

Let us know how your NGD goes!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

9. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

I received it this morning, here is the entire guitar :

yp0fw8zksote4epl7bqg.jpg

cyjneah3mjc0yxscjogj.jpg

So nothing to worry about, everything is how it should be.
    I'm glad I smashed that "buy" button :)

Thank you all for your comments

mapleglo, Nadnitram, JP68 and 7 others like this.
  10. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool. And it came with a hologram of a living room on it as a bonus :D

11. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

The 1990 Strat Ultra I have is setup similarly. This guitar is the upscale brother to a Strat Plus, with Laces in HSS. I have intonated the high E string, and it seems to extend towards the nut, in a similar fashion.

One day right before a gig, this Ultra did a slow tip off of a stand. I guess the neck was impacted, even though it was in slow motion. After this the guitar was not intonated and would not tune. So I had to use my Baja Tele. Later I reintonated the guitar and adjusted the tremelo. I shortened the claw screws underneath the backplate. after shortening the claw screws I had less height of the bridge and every string saddle was adjusted towards the bridge. So you could try shortening the screws of the claw, which will lower the bridge, and in turn gives you more room to adjust those chromed block saddles, towards the end of the bridge. Now the intonation looks similar to a fixed bridge. The tremelo was floated and changes pitch both down and up at least one whole step, especially on the top 3 strings.

A good luthier or tech can do this in minutes, just tell him what you've told us, and he should solve the problem. This problem would not stop me from buying the guitar, as Pluses are stellar guitars. My Ultra is my #1 Strat, the # 2 is a 1970 Strat, But instead of a 2-point trem it has a 6 -point.

12. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

Well !
    I have disassembled, cleaned up, reassembled, and set up everything.
    I replaced the saddles because the adjusting screws for the height were blocked by rust and I could not get them out without damaging them (tried several methods, anti rust stuff etc).
    Now the bridge is floating, parallel to the body, I have more margin at the rear of the saddles.

IMG_20190711_134934653.jpg

Also, the intonation is perfect, but I do wonder why the D string saddle is not closer to the neck. It should be a bit further than the A string one, shouldn't it ? My other guitars have saddles with "normal" indentation.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Nadnitram likes this.
  13. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

for wound strings, the larger the internal core the farther the saddle will need to be pulled back and the smaller the core the farther forward the saddle will need to go to intonate a string.

because the tension is applied to the core and not the wraps. this is why 2 of the "same" gauge of wound strings will intonate at different final lengths.

JP68 likes this.
  14. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

They also make compensated nuts.
    If you're intonation was ever in need of correction, and you were out of saddle travel, a simple nut swap (compensated) would do the trick.

There's more than one way to get things done.

Congrats on the guitar.
    Looks great.
    I doubt you'll ever have a single problem with intonation.

15. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

It looks like it now has more travel than the one I have with that type of trem has. And despite its from '91, the pivot points aren't noticeably worn at all.
    bridge pic.jpg

16. chrimturn

chrimturn Fire in the Wire Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice guitar. Love the Strat Plus. However, I’m not a fan of saddles with the offset screws. That’s a great guitar and I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it. I’m just personally an OCD nerd. Had 3 strats from that era at one time, Strat Plus included, sold 2 and still have 1, but swapped out all the bridges when I had them. Couldn’t get passed how the saddles would shift over time. Talking string angles at the nut, saddle and bridge...intonation, etc. After a while the saddles would shift slightly sideways and add another angle. Not a big deal to correct but it always made me wonder why Fender engineers went to that type in the first place? Anybody know? @Ronkirn

Nice guitar. The Strat Plus is a good one!

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

one of the primary considerations, in whatever was under development, was cost... in 1953 when the Strat was under development.. bent steel was considerably less costly than machined blocks... Leo saw everything through the prism of practicality. Since the bent steel functioned adequately the design got the nod... '

today the playing styles are far more aggressive... probably if, in 1953, there were guitarists that while playing, would try to rip the tremolo out of the guitar, there would have been some alternative approach.

Guys criticizing the guitars typically do so while analyzing them based on 2020 playing styles... not the musical culture of the 50's..

rk

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    SAguitar and chrimturn like this.
  18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Sorry I meant to include this.. this is a copy of Leo's actual notes as he was developing the Tele.. it will give you. an idea how detailed he was in considering costs.. this from a book Nacho has been compiling that he sent me,..

r

DSC_5922.jpg DSC_5923.jpg DSC_5924.jpg costs..

SAguitar and chrimturn like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.