Would you believe Clapton uses Ultra Noiseless pickups?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 18, 2021.

1. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

The Eric Clapton signature Strat is listed as having “Vintage Noiseless Single-coil” pickups. Sweetwater says they are “the latest version of noiseless pickups.”

The American Ultra is listed as having “Ultra Noiseless Vintage Strat Single-coil” pickups.

Do you think they are the same thing. It’s not that important, I’m just curious because apparently Eric uses his own signature model, and many people say they don’t like the Ultra pickups. If they’re the same as Eric’s, he must like them.

Scott Baxendale and bluesguy62 like this.
  2. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

I just think Sweetwater hasn’t updated their ad. I’m not sure the Clapton noiseless are even that recent - there may be a set between those and the ultras as well (what was in the Elites maybe?).

Personally, I find the Ultra noiseless to be the best Fender noiseless pups I’ve played.

3. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

Ya me too. I don’t get the naysayers. If what you said is right, then it’s even more surprising that Clapton would use 3rd or 4th generation noiseless because people who like the Ultra Noiseless say the older generations were not as good as the Ultra 5th generation.

bluesguy62, fos1 and mfranzdorf like this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have seen close-up video of Clapton playing guitars live having clearly labeled Noiseless pickups, but don't know how recent the videos were.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  5. FuncleManson

FuncleManson Strat-Talker

What's the over/under on the number of posts before this thread goes to sh!t?

I'm a bit surprised we made it to four.

Bcorig, tptmnc, jd35801 and 3 others like this.
  6. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Dont really go with what many people dont like....you can find any piece of gear famous or not and you ll find enough people that claim is crap.....

7. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Put on a new depends. It will be ok.

8. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yes the Clapton strat comes stock with Vintage Noiseless pickups. Very different than the Ultras

I think the Ultras are fenders best noiseless pickups as well.

bluesguy62, fos1 and dscottyg like this.
  9. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I'm sure when a celeb is asked to put his or her name on a guitar they start out with the best intentions of specifying a guitar of exactly the same specification as their own. However, the manufacturing and marketing teams then get to work, and to achieve a certain price point, some compromises have to be made.

I mean, if "Big Rockstar" fits his axe with solid gold tuner knobs and diamonds for fretboard dots, fine. But you aren't going to get a $2000 retail version, are you?

jrbirdman likes this.
  10. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

I'm not a Clapton hater but his live playing in recent years is almost as lifeless sounding as Noiseless pickups.

Now.....I haven't seen E.C. live since I think 2004. For some reason he was headlining the "Neil Young show" I went for.

I tried to want to stick around for Eric but couldn't. Maybe five or six songs into his set I called it a night. I love those songs but.....

Maybe he was just having a bad night. Guitar sounded like yogurt. It's good, but it's not ice cream.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  11. ThreeChordWonder

^ Clapton has been quite open about nerve damage problems and such like.

He's the same age as my mother, but has the mileage of a space shuttle!

12. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

13. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

Well said!

At his age, he's performing what he can and over the last 50+ years has had a pretty decent body of work.

14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

He could play anything and it would sound like claption

For the Cream reunion, he just played his usual Strat and Fender amp

He did not bother to buy a Gibson and Marshall stack again, because his handlers do not care enough to bother.

Sounded fine.

iam4grace and dscottyg like this.
  15. ThreeChordWonder

That claption bloke again, huh? I thought he looked a bit different last night...

16. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

It seems like a lot, or most top level guitar players don't really put much thought into tiny details like which generation of noiseless pickups are in their guitars, or what brand tubes are in their amps.

TheMadStratter, tanta07 and fos1 like this.
  17. PonyB

PonyB Strat-O-Master

I'm sure their techs know the artists' preferences.

drp146 and fos1 like this.
  18. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

He has for decades.

Electgumbo likes this.
  19. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I'm not sure what Eric has in his personal guitars but the production ones definitely have the Vintage Noiseless pickups and have not changed since they switched to those (from the gold-logo Lace Sensors) circa 2001. I suspect that @CattleDog73 is correct and Sweetwater hasn't changed their writeup and wasn't intending for it to mean they have the current Ultra Noiseless pickups.

Fender generations of in-house noiseless pickups to the best of my recollection:
    1. Vintage Noiseless - appear on the first generation American Deluxes in 1998 and on the Clapton Strats in 2001 (the Beck Strats have the "Hot Noiseless" variation of this design); after the American Deluxes move on to other pickups Fender begins using the Vintage Noiseless pickups on MIM models.
    2. SCN - appear on the second generation American Deluxes in 2004; are used on them through 2009. SCNs are designed for Fender by Bill Lawrence but are built by Fender, and are not used again after the American Deluxes move on to other pickups in 2010
    3. N3 - appear on the 3rd generation American Deluxes in 2010 and are used through 2015. N3s are also used on the short-lived "American Deluxe Strat Plus" models with the personality cards.
    4. N4 - appeared on the American Elites of 2016-2019
    5. Ultra Noiseless - current pickups on the American Ultras
    Not counting the Lace Sensors since those were supplied to Fender by Lace, and the pickups in the original 1983-84 Elites were single coils with a dummy coil to reduce the hum.

20. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I don't think Clapton is noiseless.

Ba dump, ding!

Read into it what you like. But don't lock the thread.

SalvorHardin likes this.