Would you believe Clapton uses Ultra Noiseless pickups?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 18, 2021.

1. AJS000

AJS000 Strat-Talk Member

Clapton Strat has the OG vintage noiseless pickups.
    The ones being made at the custom Shop by the master builders would be the same spec pickups.

With the mid boost and such the difference between OG vintage and Ultra vintage would be negligible.

I can't wait till I get my Strat with the N4s and mid boost in

dscottyg likes this.
  2. LesPaulMoreRay

LesPaulMoreRay Strat-Talk Member

it just did

3. Guitar MD

Guitar MD Strat-Talk Member

Pretty soon he’ll be playing “noise-free” pickups.

4. Brad737

Brad737 Strat-Talker

I’ve owned 3 Blackie Strats over the years. The first was when the Blackie first came out. At the time, I was a hardcore humbucker player, plugged into a 5150. Let’s just say the Lace Sensors didn’t do it for me. I got another one a few years later but it had the mid boost removed, and a set of Fat 54 pickups installed. It sounded great, but the tiny frets were a problem. Sold that, and eventually tried one with the Vintage Noiseless pickups. By that time, I had a few more amps. And honestly, my playing had improved as well. I REALLY liked the Noiseless pickups. Actually, I loved everything about the guitar, except for the vintage frets. I sold that one to finance my BRW SRV. I will definitely get another EC Strat with Noiseless pickups at some point. I’ve already decided that as soon as I find the right one, I’m going to send it for stainless steel 6150s and a Plek job.

I’d love to hear clips comparing the Clapton with Noiseless and Ultra pickups. I’ll be honest, I love Eric. His playing on the Bluesbreakers album floored me. I love his Cream era as well. I realize those were his Gibson years, but I still love him on a Strat. I do think he’s suffered quite a bit of hearing loss. His tone over the past 20-30 years sounds like a flatulent goose, but I blame that on the way he sets his EQ on the amps. Based on my experience with his guitars, it’s not the Noiseless pickups.

YMMV...

5. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yes, "..he must like them.." ..... "and many people say they don’t...". What is the issue ?

6. RandyRoot

RandyRoot Strat-Talk Member

I really like the Ultras and have them on four Strats and two Teles.

Although, one Tele has Kinman Tele Blasters which are great.

7. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

8. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The current Jeff Beck Strat is a prime example. It LOOKS like the guitar he plays, but some key characteristics of it can't be duplicated and in fact may not be wanted by the average customer...the nut (old school Gen 1 Wilkinson) , the pickups (one-off wind by John Suhr), and perhaps the neck profile or instance. So you get a Fender Strat with reasonably similar characteristics..but not exact.

dscottyg and vid1900 like this.
  9. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Clapton uses so much overdrive and chorus I don't think it matters what he uses anymore, as long as it's hum cancelling in some way.

dscottyg and CB91710 like this.
  10. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Correct; I think Jeff's personal guitars have the original pretty fat neck shape - Fender thinned the neck on the production models down in 2001 when they changed from Lace Sensors to the Hot Noiseless pickups - but Jeff's might have a custom even fatter neck than the 1990s production models. John Suhr wound the pickups for Jeff while he was a Master Builder in the Fender Custom Shop in the early 1990s - John was with Fender after he left Rudy's Music, where he built the Pensa-Suhr line for Rudy, but before he started his current company.

11. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I have Gen4 Noiseless on my MIM Tele.

Although they're a small step up from the originals, I'm still kind of meh about them. Ultimately I'd like to swap the out for some with a bit more Tele spank to them.

Since we don't have any floursecents in the house, all LEDs now, mains noise from lighting isn't an issue and my Marshall tube amp hums a little come what may, so why worry?

12. activeigroup

activeigroup Strat-Talk Member

Eric has been using "noiseless" pickups since the late 80's. I started using them in 1988 when the Custom Shop manager proudly showed me one of Eric's touring guitars with Noiseless Lace Sensors. I really liked them and immediately ordered them for my new Custom Shop Strat. Now, from what I've been told Fender attempted to purchase the Lace company at some point and they weren't interested. So, Fender came up their own Noiseless pickups. Evidently they are now up to version 5 (the "hot" "Ultra" version). From what I've been told, Eric still uses the "vintage" noiseless version 4 (which mimic a 60's single coil). My current Deluxe Strat has also came with those version 4 noiseless. Note: The version 4 pickups only have "noiseless" stamped along the bottom edge. The version 5, also have the Fender logo stamped along the top left edge. From what the Fender rep told me a few months ago, only the "vintage" version 4, and the "hot" 5 noiseless pickups are currently in production.

CB91710 likes this.
  13. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Clapton hasn’t used chorus in quite a while. He uses an actual Leslie cabinet for certain parts. And his overdrive comes from his amp and the mid boost in his start.

Scuba200ft likes this.
  14. 888jimm

888jimm New Member!

That was Andertons... right :)

15. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talker

Years ago, on the Lounge Forums, I questioned Mike Eldred as to why Clapton changed his pickups. Eldred replied that Fender had sent Clapton a set of Noiseless pups to try out and he liked them. What the real skinny is, who knows. A source I can't divulge, who really know the inside on this gear, , told me recently that really bad blood developed between Fender and Lace Industries over something Fender did. He wouldn't even deign to relate the circumstances to me in writing. My '89 Pewter Clapton still does it for me as equipped. '89%20Clapton.jpg

CB91710 and guitarface like this.
  16. Brucegomb

Brucegomb Strat-Talker

Claptons pickups changed a few times through his Fender year but he is a noiseless guy. He used to use Gold Lace, but all the recent ones use the "vintage noiseless" which haven't changed since 2000s. He also uses a mid boost. Even his "special editions" use the vintage noiseless. They are not anything special, just vintage noiseless.

His artist model changed to the Fender noiseless because of the breakup between lace and Fender.

17. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talker

I recall reading an article in Guitar Player that Beck's trem bar can be also pulled up to sharp the note.

18. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

^ Can't they all?

19. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

Break a leg in music city tonight mr. Clapton Hope to see you soon

20. Brucegomb

Brucegomb Strat-Talker

All Strats do that unless they are locked down.

vid1900 likes this.