Would you believe Clapton uses Ultra Noiseless pickups?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 18, 2021.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

The contract between Lace and Fender finally expired.

Fender continued to use Laces on a few sig models, maybe just to use up remaining stock, as it seemed a little random.

2. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yes...mine too. Fender tremolo bridges can be adjusted to "float" so that they can be pulled up or down, sharpening or flattening the notes being played. Beck sets his trem for a large degree of "float". I have one of my Strats set so that the open G string can be pulled up to A#, the open B up to C#, and the open high E to F. And of course they can also be lowered in pitch.

dscottyg likes this.
  3. PCollen

It depends on how the trem is adjusted/set.

dscottyg likes this.
  4. PCollen

Did Lace start marketing/selling their pickup sets independently even while Fender was equipping their guitars with them. I know Bill Lawrence/Wilde never marketed/sold his SCN pickups independently.

5. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Precisely.

6. Peter Williams

Peter Williams New Member!

I saw Clapton last week and it was a great show. His set was only 90 minutes, but I enjoyed every second. Doyle Branhall took lead in a few places and he didn't disappoint, either. EC is definitely still using noiseless pups. I'll post a crappy phone pic that I think shows the markings. If you're a Clapton fan, I definitely recommend seeing him this time around. Good mix of songs across his catalogue and the best playing (and sound) I've heard from him live in 20 years.

PS - Jimmy Vaughn killed it as the opening act.

20210913_215444_021.jpg

TN703800, dscottyg, train and 2 others like this.
  7. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

They were sold independently, but I think they had Fender logo on the packaging

8. jd35801

jd35801 Strat-Talker

Yeah. I seem to remember reading an interview about the rehearsals for those shows, and he said that initially he and Jack tried the Marshall/Gibson thing but it was too loud and "didn't feel right anymore."
    They still sounded like themselves.

vid1900 and Kester like this.
  9. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Agreed - the cream reunion album at Royal Albert Hall they sounded fantastic

Steven1145 likes this.
  10. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

One thing I have found is that a lot of advertising is BS. If you can search out a vid of the artist in question playing a tune with a tone you like or are familiar with, try to determine as much as you can by what you can see. What pickup and instrument manufacturers say is one thing, what the artist actually does is that reality for that moment/tune/gig/song, etc. I thought it hilarious when an interviewer (small-time, but trying) got a quick moment with EJ and asked him about some specifics regarding his "signature" Strat, he just said, "I'm not sure, I don't really play one." Clapton can play what he wants, moment to moment. So can Yngwie, Knopfler, anon. Make your own signature, or better yet, make a few.

11. ThreeChordWonder

Saw him in Houston last Friday. We were up in the almost nosebleeds so no closeup pics. We missed Jimmy Vaugn's opening act but I think he came on with Clapton for the encore. And yes, Doyle Branhall was great, and I particularly liked the way the twin drummers worked together. Branhall is a leftie, and uses a leftie guitar. But he has the strings the other way up - high e at the top, low e at the bottom, like he learned playing someone else's right handed guitar played upside down and just kept the strings that way.

12. RickySchmidlin

RickySchmidlin Strat-Talk Member

I have a Clapton and Ultra both different

13. ThreeChordWonder

But but but....

Q1 - does he use, shock horror, locking tuners?

Q2 - does he use, dont let your kids read this,, Schaller strap locks or beer bottle rubber washers?

Q3 - are either of the above responsible for that Clapton tone??

14. Peter Williams

Peter Williams New Member!

No pics clear enough to guesstimate on Q1, but here are a couple that might offer some insight to Q2 if you have better sight than me. The answer to Q3 is obviously YES!

20210913_215554.jpg 20210913_215549.jpg

15. activeigroup

activeigroup Strat-Talk Member

My understanding was LACE never marketed themselves independently, until after they parted ways with Fender.

CB91710 likes this.
  16. activeigroup

The Clapton Noiseless are called "Vintage", the Ultra Noiseless are called Ultra "HOT"

RickySchmidlin likes this.
  17. activeigroup

18. activeigroup

An ULTRA noiseless pickup has CONSIDERABLY MORE output than a Clapton "vintage" Noiseless. BYW, they just started calling Ultra HOT Noiseless pickups "vintage" recently. :)

19. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

OMG, that's what I've been missing !!! I'm ripping off my neck this week to have my Luther/ jeweler install diamonds for the dots ! Gotta have them as i can't get Ivory Inlays and the feds get upset using human teeth

20. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

My band installed noiseless pickups before our latest album recording, during playback we could only hear the drummer and without the res of our noise he kinda sucks.

Steven1145 likes this.